ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Mar 9, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #961 of 1,234
They're no longer mine. They were sold to the mad professor of the IEM world who decided to take a scalpel to them for his own sadistic gain. I think he's enjoying himself too.

Can we see the latest pictures?

This is all for now....

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #963 of 1,234
OK, have been listening to these things for a while, been using my Pono for the most part, which I use for most of my in bed music listening (which is also most of my music listening). I got a set up to be able to use the balanced Pono with the Encores. It seemed to have plenty of power (actually could only listen on the first or second volume setting without the volume getting too loud for comfort). So, it should have occured to me that maybe there was a basic incompatibility between the Pono and the Encores, but, since there was power to spare, it just didn't occur to me. And, the sound really sounded rolled off on the top end. Well, tonight I put the regular, non balanced cable back in the Encores, connected the Pono's Line Out into a Cavalli Liquid Carbon, and plugged the Encores in. And, the Encores didn't sound rolled off any more, nice high end, open, black background, good solid bass. Decided to try my PC system (LH Labs 2g USB, Regen, Geek Out Special Edition, MicroZOTL2). Same result, no roll off, better sound than system 1 (though I think I'm hearing some tube rush I hadn't noticed before...new to tubes). So, mea culpa. I'll listen some more, but I'm liking the sounds at the moment. And, it is a good reminder of the importance of synergy with gear...headphones don't have a "sound" that doesn't have to do with the source. Something I know full well, but forgot for the time being. :xf_eek:

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #964 of 1,234
Yeah I told you Pono has an impedance problem... 

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #965 of 1,234
I defer to your judgement. Interestingly, while I generally like the MicroZOTL better than the LC, a quick listen had the LC matching the Encore better. The length of the Linum cable makes the ZOTL impractical in my setup, the LC only slightly less so (why I preferred using the Pono direct). I do have the DX90, and eventually should get the LH labs Wave...

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #969 of 1,234
Have to check it out one of these days...the Encore and Pono aren't a great match, but I've been using the Pono line out into the Liquid Carbon, then the Encore, very nice sounding.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #970 of 1,234
Mine are now defective on the T2 connector, I'm very angry against ACS 
mad.gif
 that's the third time, and now out of warranty, I've to send them back. Clearly I decided to send them to Custom Art for a reshell and go with a 2 pins connector. That T2 connector is a shame for a CIEM which have to be on TOTL.... The worst is that I only used them at home 
blink.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #971 of 1,234
Does Custom Art do reshelling for these? I thought you couldn't reshell them because of the material (guess you chuck everything but drivers and crossover and put in a new body).

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #972 of 1,234
  Mine are now defective on the T2 connector, I'm very angry against ACS 
mad.gif
 that's the third time, and now out of warranty, I've to send them back. Clearly I decided to send them to Custom Art for a reshell and go with a 2 pins connector. That T2 connector is a shame for a CIEM which have to be on TOTL.... The worst is that I only used them at home 
blink.gif

Ouch.  Seems that the t2 connector still has a few wrinkles to be worked out.  I think I'm right in saying that Cosmic Ears went back to 2 pin as standard after a spate of issues with them (might be wrong there though).

Does Custom Art do reshelling for these? I thought you couldn't reshell them because of the material (guess you chuck everything but drivers and crossover and put in a new body).

Nope Custom Art don't or at least are very reluctant to.  Best to contact in each case there.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #973 of 1,234
I've used them out from the iPhone and from the Mac with audirvana player and hi res files. Really beautiful with bass that was rich and fluid

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #974 of 1,234
It has been a while since I last posted here. One thing I had noticed recently, I had my CIEM in ear but no music playing. It was amazing to actually hear the difference as it went from totally sealed to partially sealed.
These just don't seem to hold that all important seal dependent on jaw positioning and head movement.

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #975 of 1,234
It has been a while since I last posted here. One thing I had noticed recently, I had my CIEM in ear but no music playing. It was amazing to actually hear the difference as it went from totally sealed to partially sealed.

These just don't seem to hold that all important seal dependent on jaw positioning and head movement.

The same with mine, I've a mutant left ear ^_^ , so I bought some silicone lacker from Custom Art and now all my silicone fit are absolutely amazing ! Just ask it to Piotrus_g per mail (info@customart.com), that's just 5€ for heaven :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back