ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Nov 6, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #781 of 1,234
And how did Andy Shiach, whoever he might be, respond to that?

He's the founder & managing director of ACS.

I had said that the Encore were my 1st choice when I had started looking/researching for my 1st ciem after I had read about the UK show/meet at the beginning of the year, where there were members that liked them more the the Layla they had auditioned during the show. And liked the Encore well enough to order one on the spot. I also mentioned the InEarSpace tour visit at Banbury. But what had dissuaded me in the end were some of the feedback I had read here on this thread.

I felt awkward saying that, didn't want the moment to linger any longer so I diverted. He listened, nodded and said something like right okay in a neutral humble manner.
I asked if I could have custom silicon plugs so I'd see how I'd handle the silicon feel before making the jump on the Encore.

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #782 of 1,234
He's the founder & managing director of ACS.

I had said that the Encore were my 1st choice when I had started looking/researching for my 1st ciem after I had read about the UK show/meet at the beginning of the year, where there were members that liked them more the the Layla they had auditioned during the show. And liked the Encore well enough to order one on the spot. I also mentioned the InEarSpace tour visit at Banbury. But what had dissuaded me in the end were some of the feedback I had read here on this thread.

I felt awkward saying that, didn't want the moment to linger any longer so I diverted. He listened, nodded and said something like right okay in a neutral humble manner.
I asked if I could have custom silicon plugs so I'd see how I'd handle the silicon feel before making the jump on the Encore.

Haha I'll bet he loves you! User feedback is what it's all about, if your paying 750 quid for a top IEM you should be nothing but happy! I remember the sinking feeling when I first listened to my UE11, took 2-3 months before the treble opened up, ended up being more detailed than my ER4P/S just darker. I returned the T1's because of the bass, perhaps, had I given them more time that to would of developed. The Encore seems to of resolved that issue. I remember the T1's being what I can only describe as gloriously rich with complexity, like a musical chandelier reflecting sunrise...(cough)!

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #783 of 1,234
Aww, that's bee-you-tee-ful!!!!! :D

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #784 of 1,234
With hindsight I definately feel like I made a mistake with my 1st ciem. One week wasn't enough to fully judge it.
Now I'm waiting for my 2nd attempt at ciem heaven :p
Wish I was filthy rich and could send you my Savant so you could reshell it into a custom Jack :)
If my ciem #2 is a perfect match, I'll probably resell it to get the Cavalli Liquid Onyx portable amp ^^ [had cancelled the LC pre-order to get the Savant haha]

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #785 of 1,234
Because I owned the T1 and they were excellent for all but the bass, better than the UE11 in the mid and top end, can't see there being such a huge difference in the voicing. There are also comments in this thread saying they are exceptional...I'm looking forward to finding out! The JH Audio cable termination at the monitor end is a cheap option so I passed on them.

To be honest most of the people who said they were exceptional all seem to have changed their minds and I seem to be the sole advocate. I had problems with the sound initially, put them up for sale, couldn't sell them, had a couple of refits and now they sound magical. I find it difficult to believe that anybody could be unhappy with what I'm hearing. They're the best IEM I've heard.

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #786 of 1,234
Well, maybe I need yet another refit...or maybe they need longer for the highs to open up...don't get me wrong...they sound nice, mellow, inoffensive, pleasant, warm, sometimes even open and detailed, layered. As I said, I listen to them every night, fall asleep with them.I really WANT to love them. But, I listen to a lot of jazz, and the rhythm is carried to a great extent by the ride cymbal. I have the HE-1000, you can hear the different touches on the cymbal, different tones when you strike different parts of the cymbal. When I listen with the Encore, cymbals disappear. I have to listen really hard to hear they are there, if I can hear them at all. Maybe I should contact acs...been trying to get good at insertion, seel, fit to be sure I'm not doing it wrong. I still may not be getting it perfectly in. Do feel I should have more positive feeling than "pleasant".

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #787 of 1,234
Well, maybe I need yet another refit...or maybe they need longer for the highs to open up...don't get me wrong...they sound nice, mellow, inoffensive, pleasant, warm, sometimes even open and detailed, layered. As I said, I listen to them every night, fall asleep with them.I really WANT to love them. But, I listen to a lot of jazz, and the rhythm is carried to a great extent by the ride cymbal. I have the HE-1000, you can hear the different touches on the cymbal, different tones when you strike different parts of the cymbal. When I listen with the Encore, cymbals disappear. I have to listen really hard to hear they are there, if I can hear them at all. Maybe I should contact acs...been trying to get good at insertion, seel, fit to be sure I'm not doing it wrong. I still may not be getting it perfectly in. Do feel I should have more positive feeling than "pleasant".

I feel like you're describing my own impressions of when I had my EarWerkz Omega. Word of word. I'd contact ACS again if I were you Jack. I seem to recall they had an office at NYC yeah? Maybe you can go listen to a universal Encore there and see if the treble presentation you seek might be there or also missing.

Even if I had my 1st ciem for only 1 week, and even if the sound sig I was hearing wasn't to my 100% liking, I have been craving having a ciem back again. July to November 
frown.gif
  But still I'm glad I decided to stick with trusting Jack Vang from EarWerkz. He's been a good moral support on top too during these months. Now I'm impatiently waiting my new ciem from him.

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #788 of 1,234
A good piece of audio equipment should blow your mind and make you want to cancel a date with a supermodel to get home to listen to it! "No, sorry Naomi, got some music to listen too! Another time maybe if there aren't any good album releases that week!"

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #789 of 1,234

Hmm. Tonight I listened to FKA Twigs, Deerhunter and Yo la Tengo. If you're listening for different tones on different parts of the cymbal then it's likely you're a more discerning listener than I am :)

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #790 of 1,234
It's not that I need to be able to discriminate that much in the high end, I was describing what the HE-1000 does. My problem with the Encore isn't that I can't differentiate Tony Williams cymbal work from Max Roach. It's that the cymbal work is M.I.A., gone, zilch, nada...

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #791 of 1,234
It's not that I need to be able to discriminate that much in the high end, I was describing what the HE-1000 does. My problem with the Encore isn't that I can't differentiate Tony Williams cymbal work from Max Roach. It's that the cymbal work is M.I.A., gone, zilch, nada...

It shouldn't be that bad. I hear cymbals loud and clear. I think you owe it to yourself to have another refit.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #792 of 1,234
Doctor jazz get into the studio for another refit. I've been an audiophile for 30 years. And I've never heard anything better than my encores with a good recording and source

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #793 of 1,234
A good piece of audio equipment should blow your mind and make you want to cancel a date with a supermodel to get home to listen to it! "No, sorry Naomi, got some music to listen too! Another time maybe if there aren't any good album releases that week!"

That's never happened for me, and I've had ATC rigs in the past. Then again, my dates tend to be with motorcycles.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #794 of 1,234
OK, you convinced me, I'll email acs Manhattan (then I have to find a time to get there, but I'll work it out)

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #795 of 1,234
I remember reading Average Joe's review of the T1 and he suggested that they need a good DAC to get the best out of them. My experience with the Encore leads me to believe that the same applies here. They're so good out of the Mojo. Clean, detailed, dynamic. For most of the stuff I listen to it's the perfect combination.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever gone beyond two red lights?

I've got my very own Mojo in front of me Tony; the answer is no , I've not gone beyond those red lights! They are the point of no return , the point of no return, the dead man's curve. Am nowhere near the red on the Encores with them. The HE6s would need beyond red but I hook the Mojo up to a speaker amp for that.
The Encores still represent the top top tier of what can be achieved with IEMs and deserve lots of credit to Andy and his team, there are different sound signatures out there sure, but these are worthy of CIEM status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back