ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Oct 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #751 of 1,234
I have the W40, W4, and W3. Like them, and haven't directly A-B'd them, but think the Encores (when I get them fitted correctly) sound better.

My major issues with the Encore have been fit related. I thought it was down to them not fitting me properly but now I think it's more to do with the nature of silicone CIEMs and inconsistencies with me putting them in correctly. Once that perfect seal is achieved it's hard to imagine anything sounding much better. The 4R are competent IEMs but they never impressed me like the Encores do.

I'm a tough fit/seal, has been true of my universals, and is continuing with the Encores. I think you're right about it being related to silicon somehow, though.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #752 of 1,234
Interestingly enough, after having several pairs of Sensaphonics silicon customs, I never felt a difference in how I had to insert them into my ears.  They just... fit.  If the impressions are done well, and the monitors are made well, I don't recall ever having to do anything odd or different than acrylic to get them in.  That does make me worried about ACS's ability to create a well fit monitor, but i've got somewhat large and open ear canals, so I should be a pretty easy potential customer to fit.

As for the characteristic silicon "warmth" you guys spoke about, I definitely believe that's true of silicon molds.  I think silicon imparts a slight roll off on extreme high frequencies that more accurately reflects the warmth and silkiness to treble frequencies associated with tube gear.  If tuned well, silicon IEM's actually wind up sounding more musical and "together" than the hyper-realistic designs that come across as metallic and harsh (every JHA product I've heard...).

Given how you guys have described the Encores, I'm wondering if my Westone ES5's already have a similar sound signature to the Encores...

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #753 of 1,234
Interestingly enough, after having several pairs of Sensaphonics silicon customs, I never felt a difference in how I had to insert them into my ears.  They just... fit.  If the impressions are done well, and the monitors are made well, I don't recall ever having to do anything odd or different than acrylic to get them in.  That does make me worried about ACS's ability to create a well fit monitor, but i've got somewhat large and open ear canals, so I should be a pretty easy potential customer to fit.

As for the characteristic silicon "warmth" you guys spoke about, I definitely believe that's true of silicon molds.  I think silicon imparts a slight roll off on extreme high frequencies that more accurately reflects the warmth and silkiness to treble frequencies associated with tube gear.  If tuned well, silicon IEM's actually wind up sounding more musical and "together" than the hyper-realistic designs that come across as metallic and harsh (every JHA product I've heard...).

Given how you guys have described the Encores, I'm wondering if my Westone ES5's already have a similar sound signature to the Encores...

The Encore sounds more expansive imo. It has a larger and a more 3d soundstage

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #758 of 1,234
Anybody listened to these with Mojo? Pretty incredible.

Keen to know more Tony ; my review Mojo is due to arrive on Tuesday. Glad yuo are enjoying them. Are they a new purchase or a demo?

I think it's one of only two things Head-Fi-related that I've bought and think justifies the hype. With the Encore it reminds me of the Vorzuge Pure II being fed by a superior DAC. Great note impact, air between instruments, details I didn't think they were capable of. You'll love it.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #759 of 1,234
Was a consensus reached regarding the treble? I owned a pair of T1's and that was never an issue? Boosted mid range eventualy led me to return them. How does the Encore compare in this area? Giving a lot of thought to buying them or a new UE custom. They've been described as 'lousy' and 'sublime' in this thread? Which one is it?

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #760 of 1,234
Don't know the UE's, have the Encores, I think the high end is rolled off...I'm hesitant to make a definite pronouncement because this stuff is so dependent on fit/seal, and I struggle to get it exactly right, but my sense is, even when I do, the top is rolled off. Makes them mellow, pleasant to listen to, didn't even notice at first (actually, had to send them back a number of times for fit first, then drivers went out on one side, then the other, when I finally got them back with both sides working, I was so happy to have them working I didn't notice the high end until I had them a while. Tired of sending them back, just holding on for now). Makes them inoffensive, but if you listen to, say, acoustic jazz, find it hard to hear the cymbals. Frankly, I'm a bit sorry I didn't go for UERM or 1964Ears (especially when they were introducing the newer models at discount). The other thing about silicon ciems, can't have them rebuilt, have even less resale value than the already low resale of other ciems. May change my mind, may send them back, that's my thought on the matter at the present time.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #761 of 1,234
I think it's one of only two things Head-Fi-related that I've bought and think justifies the hype. With the Encore it reminds me of the Vorzuge Pure II being fed by a superior DAC. Great note impact, air between instruments, details I didn't think they were capable of. You'll love it.

How right you were Tony! Mine arrived today. Was a pleasure reviewing it and a surprise it lived up to the hype. Actually it was a shock that it was so good! And through the Encores wow........

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #762 of 1,234
How right you were Tony! Mine arrived today. Was a pleasure reviewing it and a surprise it lived up to the hype. Actually it was a shock that it was so good! And through the Encores wow........

I remember reading Average Joe's review of the T1 and he suggested that they need a good DAC to get the best out of them. My experience with the Encore leads me to believe that the same applies here. They're so good out of the Mojo. Clean, detailed, dynamic. For most of the stuff I listen to it's the perfect combination.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever gone beyond two red lights?

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #763 of 1,234
Don't know the UE's, have the Encores, I think the high end is rolled off...I'm hesitant to make a definite pronouncement because this stuff is so dependent on fit/seal, and I struggle to get it exactly right, but my sense is, even when I do, the top is rolled off. Makes them mellow, pleasant to listen to, didn't even notice at first (actually, had to send them back a number of times for fit first, then drivers went out on one side, then the other, when I finally got them back with both sides working, I was so happy to have them working I didn't notice the high end until I had them a while. Tired of sending them back, just holding on for now). Makes them inoffensive, but if you listen to, say, acoustic jazz, find it hard to hear the cymbals. Frankly, I'm a bit sorry I didn't go for UERM or 1964Ears (especially when they were introducing the newer models at discount). The other thing about silicon ciems, can't have them rebuilt, have even less resale value than the already low resale of other ciems. May change my mind, may send them back, that's my thought on the matter at the present time.

I read your impressions and was surprised. They have two drivers handling the top end and the T1's were clean and detailed. My UE11 however took months for the top end to balance out, was mortified when I first received them, sounded like a pair of marshmallows ended up being superb at the top end but as I said, took months of use before this happened??

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #764 of 1,234

I read your impressions and was surprised. They have two drivers handling the top end and the T1's were clean and detailed. My UE11 however took months for the top end to balance out, was mortified when I first received them, sounded like a pair of marshmallows ended up being superb at the top end but as I said, took months of use before this happened??

Could be, as I said. I'm mixed on these, and not sure how much is fit/seal, long break in is surely possible, and it's not that they sound bad. Actually, very smooth, open, unfatiguing, have been falling asleep with them every night. My main beef is that I feel like the top end rolls off, and that bugs me.(a rolled off high end could make them smooth and non-fatiguing, but loses some detail and dinner in the high end, especially cymbals). I am using the Hifiman HE-1000 when I'm not using in ears, and maybe that colors my perceptions a bit, they are amazingly detailed without being harsh or fatiguing. I also think these are hand built to a great extent, I'm guessing there is more unit to unit variability than more mass produced headphones would demonstrate. And, again, maybe my expectations are unrealistic; they are actually an enjoyable listen, but for the price of admission I expected to be more wowed. Maybe over time I'll feel that it is a good thing that I'm not wowed; still getting my head around them...

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #765 of 1,234
Could be, as I said. I'm mixed on these, and not sure how much is fit/seal, long break in is surely possible, and it's not that they sound bad. Actually, very smooth, open, unfatiguing, have been falling asleep with them every night. My main beef is that I feel like the top end rolls off, and that bugs me.(a rolled off high end could make them smooth and non-fatiguing, but loses some detail and dinner in the high end, especially cymbals). I am using the Hifiman HE-1000 when I'm not using in ears, and maybe that colors my perceptions a bit, they are amazingly detailed without being harsh or fatiguing. I also think these are hand built to a great extent, I'm guessing there is more unit to unit variability than more mass produced headphones would demonstrate. And, again, maybe my expectations are unrealistic; they are actually an enjoyable listen, but for the price of admission I expected to be more wowed. Maybe over time I'll feel that it is a good thing that I'm not wowed; still getting my head around them...

You were wowed a couple of months back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back