Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Nov 28, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,802 of 2,161
also, is it normal to have shaking parts in the device? Feels like the battery is moving about when I tilt the device
That's not normal. Someone may have replaced the battery at some point and didn't do the best work on the way out?

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,803 of 2,161
Thanks for the responses, I'll open it up, try and find a way to have it stabilized

Jan 18, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,804 of 2,161
After months of research, I finally found a brand new, unused and factory-sealed AR-M2. It should arrive in 2 weeks.

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #1,805 of 2,161
After months of research, I finally found a brand new, unused and factory-sealed AR-M2. It should arrive in 2 weeks.
Gratulations !

I am absolutely sure, you won't regret it.

After having love and hate relationship (esp. due to its software) at first, it changes gradually to more and more pure love - each month a little bit more ... and I own the AR-M2 with short interruptions more or less since the beginning of its existance.

I still haven't found anything better in terms of pure, natural organic sound, no matter how much money I spent ...

Meanwhile also loving it as DAC esp. connectd to the Paltauf Hybrid Amp with CCa tube.

Zwischenablage01.jpg

... you can tell it from the fingerprints, .... the AR-M2 is somehow a bit more in use, compard to the FiiO M17 ... :wink:

Have fun with it and take care on it

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,806 of 2,161
Gratulations !

After having love and hate relationship (esp. due to its software) at first, it changes gradually to more and more pure love - each month a little bit more ... and I own the AR-M2 with short interruptions more or less since the beginning of its existance.

I still haven't found anything better in terms of pure, natural organic sound, no matter how much money I spent ...

Meanwhile also loving it as DAC esp. connectd the Paltauf Hybrid Amp with CCa tube.

Zwischenablage01.jpg

... you can see it from the fingerprints, that the AR-M2 is somehow a bit more in use, compard to the FiiO M17 ... :wink:

Could you please share the make of the stands? They seem extremely helpful with equipment that has little dangly parts.

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,808 of 2,161
Gratulations !

Meanwhile also loving it as DAC esp. connectd the Paltauf Hybrid Amp with CCa tube.

... you can see it from the fingerprints, that the AR-M2 is somehow a bit more in use, compard to the FiiO M17 ... :wink:

Thanks! I am looking forward to trying it.

Is the AR Player Pro app installed by default? I have read about 2 different app available, the « normal » and the Pro🤔

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,809 of 2,161

it's the FiiO stand for the M17, think you can buy it in US directly from the FiiO Ebay shop, or the local distributors

... one addition - the AR-M2 is too slim for this stand ... it might fall through the opening on the bottom of the stand (which was originally made for a much thicker device) - so I am currently just using some strong paper to prevent it from falling down. There will be more pleasing alternatives according to your gusto :) . Beides that, the stand also supports the AR-M2 keeping cool (and I do not use the included fan at all), just by not having the AR-M2 lying flat on the ground

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,812 of 2,161
Gratulations !

Meanwhile also loving it as DAC esp. connectd to the Paltauf Hybrid Amp with CCa tube.

Zwischenablage01.jpg

... you can tell it from the fingerprints, .... the AR-M2 is somehow a bit more in use, compard to the FiiO M17 ... :wink:

AR-M2 continues to intrigue me. How does it scale up with such a mighty amp?

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #1,814 of 2,161
on my journey to find an adquate partner for streaming (yes - I am thinking on starting to stream my music, at least partially in future) I experimented with the M17 (which brings everything you ever dreamed on, but not the sound, the AR-M2 provides) and various amps to somehow get the AR-M2 ish sound.

Checked with tube amp (with several differnt tubes) and solid state amp - and at the end found the Hyprid AMP which finally made me happy.

Overall you have to keep in mind ... we are talking of a device which has passed about 8 years, since its initial realease. Price was about 1.200 EUR and you need a current High End Dap for about 1.700 EUR + a modded somehow 4K+ EUR AMP, to catch it. Of course there are still some subtle but noticeable differences between both.

Benefit of my journey - also the AR-M2 benefits from the new AMP - and will still be my dac of choise when it comes to play local music.

:beyersmile:

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #1,815 of 2,161
Well, gentleman, I jumped on the AR-M2 ship. Should be here soon.

Most people would likely scoff at the idea of buying a 2015 DAP in the year of the future that is 2023. But you're talking to a man who still runs Windows 7 on a 2010 ThinkPad as his "daily driver" and who still believes that BlackBerry OS10 is the future :tired_face: ...so 2015 for me is a piece of cake.

Curious to see how this fella sounds especially in conjunction with the amps I have littered about. I have total trust in the wise words of folks like @Klabauters, @immortalsoul, and @blotmouse all of whom I know to be AR-M2 devotees.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back