Acoustic Research AR-M200
Jul 3, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #152 of 204
I just did and there is nothing there! :ksc75smile:

What does the firmware update do, and any improvement in sound or bluetooth?

Sorry, I will send you the firmware shortly.

I don't use Bluetooth so not sure if they have made any improvements on that part. No improvements(performance/usability) on the UI side either. And I feel the Sq remains the same. The major improvement I noticed is that annoying popping noise while selecting songs from the file list is gone.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #155 of 204
I think the disappointment of the M200 and lack of interest in their recent IEMs and H1 planar headphone might have been the last straw for AR HiFi. They were conspicuously absent from CanJam SG this year and as you said, the website now redirects to AR Speakers which has a very limited number of gimmicky looking outdoor speakers and nothing else.

I know that the company was/is owned by VOXX and my speculation is they decided to drop AR Hifi based on poor performance and sales. I think the M200 could have kept them afloat but the UI was a disaster and the release kept getting delayed, so when it finally became available, Shanling had already launched the M0, which made the M200 look plain antiquated and clumsy in comparison. The one thing the M200 had going for it was its bi-directional Bluetooth (+ balanced out) but by the time it came to market the M0 was already doing that with a much more modern, functional, desirable and significantly cheaper device.
Thank you. Is there a possibility of a third party firmware in the future, like Rockbox?
This unit definitely needs more than any other DAPs, in order to keep enjoying the sound quality, otherwise it is going to eBay or trash, I had enough.
I already have Sony, FIIO, Hiby DAPs. Wanted to give a shot because of the bluetooth, balanced out and built-in headphone amp.
It turned out that it was too good to be true.
I paid $187 with the balanced IEMs on Drop. IEMs are adequate.

Jul 7, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #156 of 204
Thank you. Is there a possibility of a third party firmware in the future, like Rockbox?
This unit definitely needs more than any other DAPs, in order to keep enjoying the sound quality, otherwise it is going to eBay or trash, I had enough.
I already have Sony, FIIO, Hiby DAPs. Wanted to give a shot because of the bluetooth, balanced out and built-in headphone amp.
It turned out that it was too good to be true.
I paid $187 with the balanced IEMs on Drop. IEMs are adequate.
I'm afraid the current firmware is all you're going to get.

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #158 of 204
hi... does anybody have the old firmware. especially 1.0675? any response is greatly appreciated.

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #160 of 204
All in all, considering the price paid at this stage btw, I believe people that get their mind chasing after poor gui or clumsiness of OS, well they probably never really listened to this DAP, nor they ignore a lot of features..

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #161 of 204
All in all, considering the price paid at this stage btw, I believe people that get their mind chasing after poor gui or clumsiness of OS, well they probably never really listened to this DAP, nor they ignore a lot of features..
What features? It's a DAP with bi-directional Bluetooth. One that will never get a firmware update or any support.

I will concede that it sounds good though.

Jul 28, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #162 of 204
What features? It's a DAP with bi-directional Bluetooth. One that will never get a firmware update or any support.

I will concede that it sounds good though.

That's the point. It sounds really good.

And match me an HD BT connection that good.. tell me the price of the DAP you'll find. Then we can discuss.

Value for Money Is a Key concept here, I Guess.

Jul 28, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #163 of 204
That's the point. It sounds really good.

And match me an HD BT connection that good.. tell me the price of the DAP you'll find. Then we can discuss.

Value for Money Is a Key concept here, I Guess.
FiiO M5, Shanling M0 both have BT connections that good with aptX HD and LDAC, which is considered to be superior to aptX HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back