Acoustic Research AR-H1 Planar Impressions and Discussion thread
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #316 of 383
The right side of my AR-H1 has started failing on me recently. When I give it a bit of juice it just cuts out. I'm happy to see nobody else has had it happen - mine was a pre-production model which might have something to do with it. I'll have to take it apart to check if I can see anything.

Did you switch the connector from left side and put in right side and check if the problem is the transducer or cable problem. If not cable, why not write to audio research in Japan to see if it can be service. if unserviceable, i would find a second hand or discount set in the shop. Last year, there was a bargain in amazon uk which no longer available. Or go to shop which have them and bargain the price down. I think ar-h1 did not sell well, and shop are eager to get rid of them. I do not know why it does not sell well, i guess review on internet not so good, totally unfair, i have layla, ultrasone E8 and Sennheiser HD800, I thought i was in headphone heaven, until i get AR-h1. Now,I cannot listen to music on my other headphones without thinking of ar-h1. It is the cheapest hifi cans i have.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #317 of 383
I feel the AR-H1's are revealing without sounding etched or harsh, whoever tuned this headphone needs to be commended. They balanced the tuning approaching musical nirvana for me! At first, I was very aware of the feedback from the community saying they maybe too bright or sibilant but I was blown away by how clean and clear the upper registers were! It's like a Grado-done-right or a super HD600/650! The bass is super supportive and never sounds wooly or distorted (Dat Planar Bass yo!) like a sub-woofer properly tuned for your room! I'm really analyse here, but when listening unless you are reviewing these headphones, they don't come across as being anything but musical!

Like you @ste787, I haven't had a bad album these can's can't handle! My daily rotation of headphones are the Nighthawk's - AR H1's - Edition X (Hifiman) - Definitely my reference when it comes to music and other entertainment media, I mentioned how they are fantastic in computer games, I'm a CSGO gamer and I use these when I comp, they are very revealing of the CS world/maps, highly informative!

Most important thing I learnt in the hobby is system synergy, headphones are just another part of the overall system (maybe a big part). The BHA-1 would be most adequate, perhaps a DAC upgrade to aesthetically suit the BHA would be a "nice" upgrade! :D Otherwise, I found the H1's loves the juice unlike my Edition X's (which is fun!). I'm not a classical guy but I do like a little bit, these do classical so well that I feel like a seasoned classical attendee!

@crabdog - are you still using the stock cable? Maybe try another cable or check the connection point? Hope you get it fixed or heck...buy another! :D

Did you switch the connector from left side and put in right side and check if the problem is the transducer or cable problem. If not cable, why not write to audio research in Japan to see if it can be service. if unserviceable, i would find a second hand or discount set in the shop. Last year, there was a bargain in amazon uk which no longer available. Or go to shop which have them and bargain the price down. I think ar-h1 did not sell well, and shop are eager to get rid of them. I do not know why it does not sell well, i guess review on internet not so good, totally unfair, i have layla, ultrasone E8 and Sennheiser HD800, I thought i was in headphone heaven, until i get AR-h1. Now,I cannot listen to music on my other headphones without thinking of ar-h1. It is the cheapest hifi cans i have.
Just tried them again and all is working good for the moment. I am using the stock cable but I also have a custom XLR cable that I use with my balanced DAP. Will see how it goes and hope things stay good. Darn, I forgot how good the bass response is for a planar. And the resolution for days! Hmm gonna have to feature these on my IG feed again :D

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #318 of 383
I would love to hear comparison between the H1's and the HD800, I dare say the H1's will have better bass but what about the rest of the spectrum @ste787? Also, I'd love to compare these to the Sundara/He400i as I want to see if the H1's are better tuned, the Edition X are wonderful can's but sometimes the bass can be a tad shy and the imaging can be a bit fuzzy compared to the H1's! Also, the way the H1's portray string instruments like guitars, violins, cellos is just intoxicating to my ears! It's some of the cleanest, clearest and far reaching I've heard from a headphone without getting too hot or peaky! again...musical!

Again, another unique aspect of the H1's is it's look, very elegant, like a flagship smartphone and built like a tank! I love the look of the grills and the speaker cabinets are beautifully fashioned!

2019-03-04.jpg

Also, I've subbed to your site @crabdog.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #319 of 383
I would love to hear comparison between the H1's and the HD800, I dare say the H1's will have better bass but what about the rest of the spectrum @ste787? Also, I'd love to compare these to the Sundara/He400i as I want to see if the H1's are better tuned, the Edition X are wonderful can's but sometimes the bass can be a tad shy and the imaging can be a bit fuzzy compared to the H1's! Also, the H1's portray string instruments like guitars, violins, cellos is just intoxicating to my ears! It's some of the cleanest, clearest and far reaching I've heard from a headphone without getting too hot or peaky! again...musical!

Again, another unique aspect of the H1's is it's look, very elegant, like a flagship smartphone and built like a tank! I love the look of the grills and the speaker cabinets are beautifully fashioned!

Also, I've subbed to your site @crabdog.
Yes, the AR-H1 is a handsome device for sure. I should be getting the Sundara fairly soon so can hopefully give you a comparo.

Thanks for the sub too!

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #321 of 383

The hate these and the Th500RP get have both of them priced at 299.99... for now

I heard them today, and I totally do not understand the hate. They are quite musical, sweet in the midrange, clean and clear. I really think they are pretty darn great, too bad they are phasing them out and such, it was a pretty great headphone... :)

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #322 of 383
I heard them today, and I totally do not understand the hate. They are quite musical, sweet in the midrange, clean and clear. I really think they are pretty darn great, too bad they are phasing them out and such, it was a pretty great headphone... :)

Which headphones do you compare these to. In other words, what level are they? Mid Level like Aeon Flow or higher level like Edition X/ Oppo PM1.

Tanks

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #323 of 383
Which headphones do you compare these to. In other words, what level are they? Mid Level like Aeon Flow or higher level like Edition X/ Oppo PM1.

Tanks

I was comparing them to Alara and Sundara, really, and for that range, they are quite excellent :)

They are more musical and more levelled than Clear, although they have a smaller soundstage and slightly less dynamics.

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #326 of 383

Depends on source, @Dobrescu George,

Not sure why they phasing for you, what pairing have you got where this occurs?

Maybe one day try the Alara but unlikely anytime in the near future, Sundara not a fan of particularly.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 7, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #327 of 383

The hate these and the Th500RP get have both of them priced at 299.99... for now

Thanks for posting this as I plan on buying an open-back planar headphone to accompany the MDR Z1R (when I get the MDR Z1R soon) and the AR-H1 is one of three i'm considering, I had no idea that website was selling them and for that price.
Time to find out if Music Direct ship to the UK!

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #328 of 383
I would love to hear comparison between the H1's and the HD800, I dare say the H1's will have better bass but what about the rest of the spectrum @ste787?

HD800 on bha-1 sound pretty good. I used to listen on it using ak380 and voruge pure 2, HD800 did not sound so great. Now on BHA-1, it sound better, i only have a cheap cable, because i broke my original cable. I would need to get better cable/balance cable and take more time to listen to different music. with good headphone amp, really improve hd800 sound. I would need more time to get new cables and spend more time to compare.

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #330 of 383
I bought an AR-H1 from Music Direct, though they seem to be taking their time shipping it. The total cost of the AR-H1 for me in the UK should amount to around £250 - £300 including customs charges, that's bargain of the century, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back