1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Acoustic Research AR-H1 Planar Impressions and Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by crabdog, Jul 30, 2017.
First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25
Next

Last
  1. ste787
    Did you switch the connector from left side and put in right side and check if the problem is the transducer or cable problem. If not cable, why not write to audio research in Japan to see if it can be service. if unserviceable, i would find a second hand or discount set in the shop. Last year, there was a bargain in amazon uk which no longer available. Or go to shop which have them and bargain the price down. I think ar-h1 did not sell well, and shop are eager to get rid of them. I do not know why it does not sell well, i guess review on internet not so good, totally unfair, i have layla, ultrasone E8 and Sennheiser HD800, I thought i was in headphone heaven, until i get AR-h1. Now,I cannot listen to music on my other headphones without thinking of ar-h1. It is the cheapest hifi cans i have.

volly likes this.
  2. crabdog
    Just tried them again and all is working good for the moment. I am using the stock cable but I also have a custom XLR cable that I use with my balanced DAP. Will see how it goes and hope things stay good. Darn, I forgot how good the bass response is for a planar. And the resolution for days! Hmm gonna have to feature these on my IG feed again :D

volly likes this.
  3. volly
    I would love to hear comparison between the H1's and the HD800, I dare say the H1's will have better bass but what about the rest of the spectrum @ste787? Also, I'd love to compare these to the Sundara/He400i as I want to see if the H1's are better tuned, the Edition X are wonderful can's but sometimes the bass can be a tad shy and the imaging can be a bit fuzzy compared to the H1's! Also, the way the H1's portray string instruments like guitars, violins, cellos is just intoxicating to my ears! It's some of the cleanest, clearest and far reaching I've heard from a headphone without getting too hot or peaky! again...musical!

Again, another unique aspect of the H1's is it's look, very elegant, like a flagship smartphone and built like a tank! I love the look of the grills and the speaker cabinets are beautifully fashioned!

2019-03-04.jpg

Also, I've subbed to your site @crabdog.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    trellus and crabdog like this.
  4. crabdog
    Yes, the AR-H1 is a handsome device for sure. I should be getting the Sundara fairly soon so can hopefully give you a comparo.

Thanks for the sub too!

volly likes this.
  5. SHAMuuu
    Untitled.jpg

The hate these and the Th500RP get have both of them priced at 299.99... for now

trellus and volly like this.
  6. Dobrescu George
    I heard them today, and I totally do not understand the hate. They are quite musical, sweet in the midrange, clean and clear. I really think they are pretty darn great, too bad they are phasing them out and such, it was a pretty great headphone... :)

PaganDL and volly like this.
  7. SHAMuuu
    Which headphones do you compare these to. In other words, what level are they? Mid Level like Aeon Flow or higher level like Edition X/ Oppo PM1.

Tanks

8. Dobrescu George
    I was comparing them to Alara and Sundara, really, and for that range, they are quite excellent :)

They are more musical and more levelled than Clear, although they have a smaller soundstage and slightly less dynamics.

9. SHAMuuu
    Hmmmmm i have some thinking to do...

[​IMG]

Dobrescu George likes this.
  10. volly
    Add to cart!!! :ok_hand:

11. PaganDL
    Depends on source, @Dobrescu George,

Not sure why they phasing for you, what pairing have you got where this occurs?

Maybe one day try the Alara but unlikely anytime in the near future, Sundara not a fan of particularly.

Hope you have a great day !

Dobrescu George likes this.
  12. SonyFan121
    Thanks for posting this as I plan on buying an open-back planar headphone to accompany the MDR Z1R (when I get the MDR Z1R soon) and the AR-H1 is one of three i'm considering, I had no idea that website was selling them and for that price.
    Time to find out if Music Direct ship to the UK!

13. ste787
    HD800 on bha-1 sound pretty good. I used to listen on it using ak380 and voruge pure 2, HD800 did not sound so great. Now on BHA-1, it sound better, i only have a cheap cable, because i broke my original cable. I would need to get better cable/balance cable and take more time to listen to different music. with good headphone amp, really improve hd800 sound. I would need more time to get new cables and spend more time to compare.

volly likes this.
  14. ste787
    It cost what in USA? not fair. not fair.

15. SonyFan121
    I bought an AR-H1 from Music Direct, though they seem to be taking their time shipping it. The total cost of the AR-H1 for me in the UK should amount to around £250 - £300 including customs charges, that's bargain of the century, lol.

volly likes this.
First

Back
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
23 24 25
Next

Last