Achtung ! Calling all X-CAN users
Dec 20, 2002 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
How many of you leave your amps on all the time? Are you aware of any harmful effects of unplugging the X-CAN with each use?

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 16
I turn mine off, as I sometimes go long periods without using it. With tube amps, if I plan to use them, I'll turn them on once daily, then turn them off when I'm done with them for the day. My compromise between wearing tubes with constant use, and wearing them with on/off transients.

Dec 20, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 16
Since I have two other amps, I don't regularly use my X-Cans and therefore turn it off after use, which causes an amusing siren tone every time...

Dec 21, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 16
As I use the Creek more I turn the Xcan on only if it’s a day I m going to use it.Actually IMO it needs about 30 min to sound its best.Its 6 years old I bought one of the first MF made(and the crappy Phillips tubes went straight to the dustbin )I then went from Sovtek to JJ
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 16
The sound goes really mushy if I leave mine on for more than two days... so, off it goes
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 16
Mine stays on all the time. I have noticed no degradation of sound because of this.

Dec 25, 2002 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 16
I spoke to a VTL rep once and he told me that it's better to leave tube equipment on all the time. He said that tubes wear out much quicker through the heating and cooling process of being turned on and off vs keeping them on all the time. He said the only reason to even have a power switch on a tube device is because tubes generate a lot of heat. Since a headphone amp doesn't generate much heat, I would keep it on all the time.

Mar 5, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 16
Hi Graphor... Welcome to Head-Fi...

Although I no longer have the X-Can, I have to ask... do you not get worried about how hot the walwart gets, especially when left on for a long time?

Thanks

Duncan

Mar 5, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 16
Hi.. Thanks for welcoming me. I do not know what walwart means - does it mean the power supply comes with X-cans? - but mine does not get hotter to be worried. I guess MF would have added power switch if it is so important. As I mentioned above, the original instruction says it is ok to turn the unit on indefinitely.

Mar 5, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 16
Hi Graphor
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, Walwart is an American term for power supply
smily_headphones1.gif

The X-Can can be left on, I have done so myself, but I was always a little nervous, with regard to how much heat the power supply could handle...

I guess if you have the instructions, that you have an X-Can yourself... I hope you like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2003 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 16
I've had my X-Cans V.2 since just after they became available. I leave mine on and haven't noticed any problems. I do shut it off when I'm not going to be using it for a long time (I didn't use it for over a year, so it was off for that time).

If Musical Fidelity says that it is OK to leave it on 24/7, then I see no reason not to.

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back