Abyss AB-1266 TC vs HiFiman Susvara POLL

Please choose if you can only keep one:

• Total voters
Dec 12, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #31 of 104
Hello is this really a coincidence, its 50:50 ratio poll of preference between the two ? To me, I prefer both sadly. Hard to choose one over the other. If am being blunt and force to choose one, that would be Susvara !

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #32 of 104
Dec 19, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #34 of 104
This is always going to be a somewhat controversial question. These are very expensive headphones and to be blunt, a lot of people are going to be trying hard to justify their purchase which makes it hard to find unbiased opinions (or filter out what people are describing as 'unquestionably better' vs what simply fits their preference more).

Personally, I own both and I love them both. It really is NOT at all a question of which is 'better', they're just far too different to make that comparison.

The Susvara is probably the most realistic, convincing sounding headphone I've tried, timbre is the best of any headphone I've yet heard, detail is insane, and whilst the soundstage size isn't necessarily as big as some others, the actual quality of it, layering, positioning of, and space between elements within the soundstage is absolutely bonkers good.
The main drawback with Susvara is that it really does not sound its best on just about any 'headphone' amp other than a select few, and does really need a speaker amp ideally.

The 1266 does not sound natural or realistic, but it isn't trying to. It's a massively high-energy, in your face, pumped up sound that you can't help but smile when listening to.
The staging on 1266 is quite a bit bigger than many other headphones including susvara but also a bit more diffused and less defined than the susvara.

I find myself grabbing the Susvara for most acoustic music and the 1266 for most electronic music. Though they both do well in either situation and simply present music through quite different lenses.

For sources, I found that I preferred the 1266 most on either the WA33, it tubes really nicely and definitely sounds best on slightly warmer amps. It's a difficult headphone to drive, but doesn't need anything ridiculous.

With Susvara, whilst the WA33 drives it wonderfully I actually find that I prefer it on solid state instead of tubes. The biggest thing is power. Regardless of amp sound signature power output does seem to make a substantial difference to how good this headphone sounds particularly in the bass region.
The Ferrum OOR is probably the best 'headphone' amp I've tried it on, but my absolute favourite pairing so far is the benchmark AHB2.
I did not at all like it on the HPA4 as it was too sterile.
Other good speaker amps such as the Pass XA60.8 monoblocks were a real treat with it too.

But overall, what I would say is that it simply is NOT a case of 'which headphone is better'.
If you want something which will sound as natural, realistic, detailed and convincing as possible get Susvara (and a beefy amp).
If you want something wonderfully engaging, big, high energy and fun then get 1266.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #35 of 104
This is always going to be a somewhat controversial question. These are very expensive headphones and to be blunt, a lot of people are going to be trying hard to justify their purchase which makes it hard to find unbiased opinions (or filter out what people are describing as 'unquestionably better' vs what simply fits their preference more).

Personally, I own both and I love them both. It really is NOT at all a question of which is 'better', they're just far too different to make that comparison.

The Susvara is probably the most realistic, convincing sounding headphone I've tried, timbre is the best of any headphone I've yet heard, detail is insane, and whilst the soundstage size isn't necessarily as big as some others, the actual quality of it, layering, positioning of, and space between elements within the soundstage is absolutely bonkers good.
The main drawback with Susvara is that it really does not sound its best on just about any 'headphone' amp other than a select few, and does really need a speaker amp ideally.

The 1266 does not sound natural or realistic, but it isn't trying to. It's a massively high-energy, in your face, pumped up sound that you can't help but smile when listening to.
The staging on 1266 is quite a bit bigger than many other headphones including susvara but also a bit more diffused and less defined than the susvara.

I find myself grabbing the Susvara for most acoustic music and the 1266 for most electronic music. Though they both do well in either situation and simply present music through quite different lenses.

For sources, I found that I preferred the 1266 most on either the WA33, it tubes really nicely and definitely sounds best on slightly warmer amps. It's a difficult headphone to drive, but doesn't need anything ridiculous.

With Susvara, whilst the WA33 drives it wonderfully I actually find that I prefer it on solid state instead of tubes. The biggest thing is power. Regardless of amp sound signature power output does seem to make a substantial difference to how good this headphone sounds particularly in the bass region.
The Ferrum OOR is probably the best 'headphone' amp I've tried it on, but my absolute favourite pairing so far is the benchmark AHB2.
Other good speaker amps such as the Pass
Wait till you hear Susvara with The ENLEUM 23R amp. Then let me know what your favorite is.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #36 of 104
Wait till you hear Susvara with The ENLEUM 23R amp. Then let me know what your favorite is.
I've not heard it yet, am keen to though.
A few friends of mine whose ears I trust have heard it (and the original 13R) and compared to a few other really good amps and it seems that it's an excellent choice though in a bit of a 'different not better/worse' than the AHB2-Susvara pairing.

Hopefully will get to try it at somepoint. Though ideally the 13R as it seems that is preferred by a few people over the 23R

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #37 of 104
Does the 23r have the same audible clicking with the volume adjustment like the 13r?

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #38 of 104
Does the 23r have the same audible clicking with the volume adjustment like the 13r?
That'll happen on any relay controlled attenuator. So yeah it will.
Personally I much prefer relay controlled attenuators or stepped attenuators to pots though

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #39 of 104

Other good speaker amps such as the Pass XA60.8 monoblocks were a real treat with it too.

But overall, what I would say is that it simply is NOT a case of 'which headphone is better'.
If you want something which will sound as natural, realistic, detailed and convincing as possible get Susvara (and a beefy amp).
If you want something wonderfully engaging, big, high energy and fun then get 1266.
Even without reading impression and reviews I already know. But nonetheless, what amplifier are you using to power the Susvara ?

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #40 of 104
Even without reading impression and reviews I already know. But nonetheless, what amplifier are you using to power the Susvara ?
My favourite as mentioned in the post is the AHB2. But have tried it on a pretty long list of stuff at this point.

Pass XA60.8 was great.
Soulution stuff worked nicely.
WA33 drives it beautifully.

Tried a fair few others from pass, purifi, mcintosh, and goodness knows how many headphone amps.
Ferrum OOR is the best 'headphone' amp I've tried it with though I do prefer speaker amps.

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #41 of 104
I heard both first at CanJam Socal. In that venue, I preferred 1266 TC. But, the path I was on lead me to Susvara since I upgraded to it from HE1000SE. I voted for Susvara because I was able to properly amp it and listen to it for over 100 hours and I just find it sublime and a perfect fit for me. I may change my mind after I buy a 1266 TC and listen to it for 100 hours.

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #42 of 104
My favourite as mentioned in the post is the AHB2. But have tried it on a pretty long list of stuff at this point.

Pass XA60.8 was great.
Soulution stuff worked nicely.
WA33 drives it beautifully.

Tried a fair few others from pass, purifi, mcintosh, and goodness knows how many headphone amps.
Ferrum OOR is the best 'headphone' amp I've tried it with though I do prefer speaker amps.
Then how to choose amplifier for Susvara ? Can normal headphone Class A amplifier do the trick ? Speaker amps are big af !

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #43 of 104
Then how to choose amplifier for Susvara ? Can normal headphone Class A amplifier do the trick ? Speaker amps are big af !
Has nothing to do with the Class, but with the power output and gain.

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #44 of 104
The class of amplifier doesn't determine how well something will be driven.

3 watts is 3 watts regardless of if it's Class A, AB, D or anything else.

Honestly, I'd say that for susvara, pick your favourite sounding speaker amp.
In my experience and many others, Susvara sounds a lot better on a speaker amp than it does on basically any headphone amp.

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #45 of 104
The class of amplifier doesn't determine how well something will be driven.

3 watts is 3 watts regardless of if it's Class A, AB, D or anything else.

Honestly, I'd say that for susvara, pick your favourite sounding speaker amp.
In my experience and many others, Susvara sounds a lot better on a speaker amp than it does on basically any headphone amp.
So is it possible to run Class A amp to run its full potential ? Speaker amp too expensive and takes too much space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back