Abyss AB-1266 TC vs HiFiman Susvara POLL

Please choose if you can only keep one:

• Total voters
Aug 7, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #91 of 104
Of the 4 headphones on my desk, I'll never part with the Susvara or 1266 Phi TC. I've yet to find 2 different headphones that can match their technical ability and provide the variety they do. With both, you're pretty much covered on every genre.

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #92 of 104
Of the 4 headphones on my desk, I'll never part with the Susvara or 1266 Phi TC. I've yet to find 2 different headphones that can match their technical ability and provide the variety they do. With both, you're pretty much covered on every genre.
These two are the best sounding headphone, no contest. But only rich people can afford and I myself never heard them. Would be nice if someone can donate either of these two headphone to regular people. What is the third best headphone especialy for technical ability ?

Aug 7, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #93 of 104
These two are the best sounding headphone, no contest. But only rich people can afford and I myself never heard them. Would be nice if someone can donate either of these two headphone to regular people. What is the third best headphone especialy for technical ability ?
I wouldn't consider myself ''rich''. Most people direct their spare funds toward hobbies. Some like cars, boats, coins, stamps, etc.. The same amount of money another would spend toward headers, cam or superchargers, I'm buying headphone specific audio equipment with. Personally own a C7 Corvette and audio is still the priority. I'd rather buy headphones/amps/dacs than invest in mods for the car. To each their own though.

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #95 of 104
I wouldn't consider myself ''rich''. Most people direct their spare funds toward hobbies. Some like cars, boats, coins, stamps, etc.. The same amount of money another would spend toward headers, cam or superchargers, I'm buying headphone specific audio equipment with. Personally own a C7 Corvette and audio is still the priority. I'd rather buy headphones/amps/dacs than invest in mods for the car. To each their own though.
Which your entire setup cost a car. Consider rich comparing to a peasent like me.

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #96 of 104
Curious as to why you would think these two are the "best sounding headphones no contest" without ever hearing them?
Good question. This going to sound stupid, because of feel and can tell. Resolution, transparency, technical performance usually associate with reference. Also, even if I get to hear them, the amp may not be able to push them. And most cans that I have not heard and once I heard, am not suprise. Experience and assumption that align with FR so you can roughly tell. Technology and specs is one aspect as well.

Aug 10, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #97 of 104
There are other contenders for best. It's far from no contest. Depending on what you listen too, and equipment.

3rd best? Without filling in details you are asking what people like, which may not work for you.

For me: the Rall headphones, D8000, Voce (dying to hear the Corina), OG LCD-4, Susvara - but they are quite different from each other. In the near Summit area: HFM Stealth, HFM HE-6 SE (both need parametric EQ, and 6SE needs mods).

Cheapest approach: HD-600 on a OTL tube amp - used both combined ~$600.

Aug 11, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #98 of 104
There are other contenders for best. It's far from no contest. Depending on what you listen too, and equipment.

3rd best? Without filling in details you are asking what people like, which may not work for you.

For me: the Rall headphones, D8000, Voce (dying to hear the Corina), OG LCD-4, Susvara - but they are quite different from each other. In the near Summit area: HFM Stealth, HFM HE-6 SE (both need parametric EQ, and 6SE needs mods).

Cheapest approach: HD-600 on a OTL tube amp - used both combined ~$600.
OK then, there is no third best. Not referring to sound signature preferences. There are many things I consider better but not necessarily I like it. Either way, too poor to even afford it.

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #99 of 104
OK then, there is no third best. Not referring to sound signature preferences. There are many things I consider better but not necessarily I like it. Either way, too poor to even afford it.
Yeah, back in the day I could afford some nice stuff, now I'm working on mods for my HD-600 to see if I can better them.

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #101 of 104
I own both and have been revisiting the comparison recently since acquiring the AIC-10 BAL amp which does pair very nicely with my 1266 Phi TC. The main issue I find is that of system synergy and all the phones that I own just seem to pair very well with one particular chain/device or another and sound at their best in that configuration. As a consequence, comparisons on a single chain/amp are of limited use and may even be misleading.

Susvara can be frustrating in this regard and I recall somebody saying that, with Susvara, you need to go large or go home which I found to be quiet apt. I only really heard Susvara properly when I got a Wells Headtrip II Level II from which it sounds practically flawless - to my ears and tastes in my system of course. I recently acquired an AIC-10 BAL amp and have re-appraised the 1266 and have raised my appreciation of it by a couple of notches. The 2 phones do make a very complementary pairing and, to borrow some flowery audiophile language, the H2L2 Susvara pairing are John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever whilst the AIC-10 1266 pairing are Mickey Rourke in Ironman. We each have our own preferences and it is definitely ok to like both.

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #102 of 104
How does the Susvara sound on the AIC-10Bal compared to its “flawless” performance on the H2L2?

Do you know what tube or tube-SS hybrid will bring out the largest most holographic out of head sound stage regardless of price point?

I have an Enleum-23R paired with Susvara and looking to scale up with a TOTL tube amp to open up the sound stage. So far choices are (no particular order):

Hifiman EF1000

Envy Performance (w/Elrog TM300B)

Riviera A1C

Woo 23

Woo 33 Elite

Primavera

Egoista 845

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #103 of 104
How does the Susvara sound on the AIC-10Bal compared to its “flawless” performance on the H2L2?

Not close tbh. I have been advised by @simorag and @Spawn300Z , both of whom I discussed the AIC with, that I need to use speaker taps for Susvara. I’m not keen on that really, but have ordered a cheap set just to see whether it is worthy of pursuing. To be honest, I may as well just weld Susvara to the H2L2 as they are never separated. Susvara doesn’t really cut it on anything else that I have. I may well end up in the same position with AIC & 1266 because it is a very well matched pairing as well as being a very nice and complementary alternative.

I can’t help regarding other tube amps really as I haven’t had any in my main setup for an extended demo. I have a Manley Absolute in a different setup which I like for the extensive tun-ability that it provides. Of the ones that you mention that I have heard, the Egoista was very good, but also very large and warm! The tubes in my DAC/Pre give me all the holography that I need.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #104 of 104
@tunes

Why not keep the Enelum and just swap to a tube DAC or a tube pre (unity gain is preferred since a hot signal can cause clipping on your 23R or ensure that the pre output doesn't have very high output impedance out at very low volumes if you have a pre that puts out high gain)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back