Absolute Best Vocal Detail?
Nov 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #62 of 80
Dead-Vocalist,

I have to admit, I'm really not that much of a vocals guy - being in band back in high school we of course had a big rivalry with the choir (which always liked to look down on us and the orchestra).  To be honest, I wouldn't catch myself dead listening to those two samples you linked to!  :D  Certainly talented, but not my cup of tea, ya know?

Anyway, I do really like listening to Bjork - and I've been listening to her albums a whole lot the last few days since reading about your search.  Even the almost entirely a cappella Medulla, which I don't usually listen to (I usually detest the a cappella groups that you see at schools, but since none of her songs are covers it doesn't bother me so much). I of course have been using my HD 600s, not having any other serious choices right now.  At least for her voice and music (and the high quality of her recordings), they sound spectacular.  I feel like I can tell the shape of her mouth as she sings - and of course, all the usual details (that you hear in high end systems) are there in all their glory, yet still smooth and fatigue-free as the HD 600 always is.

So if you don't end up liking what you've got so far, that's another option.

Or if none of them come close to what you want, you can get a pair (well, four towers in all) of these for just $3000 from the 'gon:

:D

I can dream, can't I?  Unfortunately powering them is even more difficult than the other ones I showed you - and their size makes them utterly impractical for normal people.  But they're among the best speakers ever made, and at a bargain price.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #63 of 80
Hi BlackbeardBen and everyone,

Thanks for your reply.  Certainly HD600s would be interesting to try out too!

I am curious about your speaker suggestions though.  Where does someone go to hear ultra high end speakers before they buy them? Are there stores that demo them in the greater NYC area?

Thanks so much.

DV

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #64 of 80
In NYC?  Oh, I'm sure.  I have no idea where though.

My hometown, Lansing, Michigan, has no hi-fi shop anymore despite having over 300,000 people in the metro area.  Audio Advisor is pretty close in Grand Rapids though.  Anyway, here in the population 30,000 city in Sweden that I'm in, there's a shop downtown that has HD 600s, HD 800s, AKG K701s, Beyerdynamic DT 990s, and even a pair of new $10,000 Infinity Prelude 40 speakers (although they are nowhere near as good as the Infinities of old).  No true "high-end" stuff other than the HD 800s - but I can't complain.  Having that much stuff to listen to within a 10 minute walk of the university is crazy compared to living in the US.

In/near NYC though - I'm sure there are plenty of dealers with truly high end setups.  You could also try to make it to a meet of some sort - I've never been to one though.

Another thing to do would be to go on to the Audiokarma or Audiogon forums and see if anyone has something you can listen to.  I'm sure many would be willing to let you listen - I know I would to anyone in Michigan (when I'm home).  Check the classifieds (CL/Audiogon) too - if someone has a high-end system for sale there, you'll definitely be able to give it an audition.

Be warned though:  You might not want to go back to headphones!  :D  At least when there's no one to disturb at home...

If you want to make a long day (or a weekend) about it, you could probably make it to Maryland to hear those RS 1b's - I imagine that'd be a good intro in to the realm of high end speakers.  Or, this guy with Infinity Kappa 8's (which I have) is two hours away.  I suppose that you could find better speakers than that, closer, though.  They're pretty darn good though.

Anyway, I'd give the forums a look right after looking for high end dealers in NYC.  You probably won't find any good Infinities in dealers though - unless they're used.  There's plenty of other high end stuff out there though.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #65 of 80
[size=medium]Oh wow… I LOVE my new AKG K702s! 
gs1000.gif
[/size]

[size=medium]Ok I admit I am new to comparing headphones, but I wanted to share my excitment!  To me, t[/size][size=medium]hey seem to do great for high vocals and the cymbals sound great!  Of course I am new to the headphone comparisons so it could partially be placebo effect or the volume might not be identical but, vocals in the 523.25 to 1046 Hz range sound really good to me (that is from tenor to soprano high C.)  The voices seem clearer somehow.[/size]

[size=medium]I was on the look out for "plasticy highs" that others have suggested that these headphones have...a[/size][size=medium]nd to those that say AKG K702 have plasticy highs, I can only say, that I don't hear that. Cymbals to me sound like they do live (though that might not be what people like to hear... not sure?)[/size]

[size=medium]Of course I just got them so, I haven’t listened to a ton of things, but I am working on it.  And of course this is only in comparison to my Denon AH-D2000s which have served me well to this point but are not thought of as being particularly good for listening to high vocals.[/size]
[size=medium]Anyway, placebo or not I am quite happy, thanks everyone!
beerchug.gif
[/size]

[size=medium]DV[/size]

[size=medium]PS Now to wait for my DT 880 600 ohms to be delivered![/size]

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #66 of 80
I have a weird recommendation, and maybe someone can back me up here, but my Razer Barracuda's have terrific vocals for their price.  Music is fun to listen to (but not at all accurate), but the vocals sound like a person is talking to you.  They top my HD595's, MS-1's, and other cheap unmentionables in vocals.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #67 of 80
[size=medium]Still listening to different things with my new K702s and OMG!, I can tell what Alissa White-Gluz is saying now!
basshead.gif
  This audiophile thing could be addictive! (video clip below.)
[/size]

[size=medium]WARNING! This Video Contains Elements of Deathcore (including graphic lyrics and an impolite hand gesture.)[/size]

[size=medium]
[/size]

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #68 of 80
I'm glad you like the AKG K701s! This is wear it starts. 1 year from now, ur gonna have a whole dedicated system. BTW, I didn't actually notice the "plastic-y" sound of the AKG until I heard the ATH W1000 on my amp. There's a lack of fullness of vocals on the AKGs, but fullness may lower resolution which is probably not what you want for now.

If you ever feel like upgrading and feel more up-close to the vocals, NOTHING will ever beat a vocal based CLOSED headphone. The feeling of the singer giving you a *private* session right next to your ear is intense. No open headphone can replicate that (definitely not speakers either...), but you can get accustomed to what open headphones can offer better for now.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #69 of 80
You should try the k601 and I bet you would think differently 
normal_smile%20.gif

I used to think the same thing for long time until I heard those. I'm not a fan of the k701, but I love the k601.
If you get a chance, you should try the DJ100 also. I think you'd love it for vocals. This is the one rare headphone that seems to fit your description below perfectly and they're only $80!

To me, vocals on the k601 are nothing like those on the k701.

The plastic sounding vocals on the k701 were a bit hard for me to spot at first until I compared them side by side to my old DT-990 and HD-600.

Quote:

If you ever feel like upgrading and feel more up-close to the vocals, NOTHING will ever beat a vocal based CLOSED headphone. The feeling of the singer giving you a *private* session right next to your ear is intense. No open headphone can replicate that (definitely not speakers either...), but you can get accustomed to what open headphones can offer better for now.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #70 of 80

Quote:
normal_smile%20.gif

I used to think the same thing for long time until I heard those. I'm not a fan of the k701, but I love the k601.
If you get a chance, you should try the DJ100 also. I think you'd love it for vocals. This is the one rare headphone that seems to fit your description below perfectly and they're only $80!

The plastic sounding vocals on the k701 were a bit hard for me to spot at first until I compared them side by side to my old DT-990 and HD-600.

how's the K240s compared to the K601? 

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #71 of 80
Well, I've tried the K501, Sennheiser HD800, and the Beyer T1. I think they certainly sound great. AMAZING soundstage(and detail of course), but they can't replace a closed phone's intimacy. no no no they can not. Open headphones may top a closed phone in soundstage, but closed phone is 'where it's at' when you want your favorite singer to whisper in your ears XD

Gotta find the right closed phones though and it's easier said than done. Money is only a problem when you can actually find the ones you want to buy...

Quote:
normal_smile%20.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #72 of 80

Quote:
Well, I've tried the K501, Sennheiser HD800, and the Beyer T1. I think they certainly sound great. AMAZING soundstage(and detail of course), but they can't replace a closed phone's intimacy. no no no they can not. Open headphones may top a closed phone in soundstage, but closed phone is 'where it's at' when you want your favorite singer to whisper in your ears XD

Gotta find the right closed phones though and it's easier said than done. Money is only a problem when you can actually find the ones you want to buy...

i have zero issues with vocals with my closed K271mkii/Beyer pads.  the Beyers have a larger pad opening compared to stock and really open up the sound.  a wonderful alternative to the K70x.  

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #73 of 80

Quote:
Quote:

The Beyers have a larger pad opening compared to stock and really open up the sound.  a wonderful alternative to the K70x.  

Maybe you can elaborate little more on the Beyers pads with the K702.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #74 of 80

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The Beyers have a larger pad opening compared to stock and really open up the sound.  a wonderful alternative to the K70x.  

the pads are for the K271.  they're black-dyed Beyer pads from Larry at Headphile.  HF member nickchen did a comparison review of different pads and rated these his favorite.  the pad opening is larger than both the stock velour and pleather pads.  bass is a little more linear without the mid-bass hump and they soundstage and sound "open-like" as the some other open cans like the dt990/hd650. 

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #75 of 80

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

the pads are for the K271.  they're black-dyed Beyer pads from Larry at Headphile.  HF member nickchen did a comparison review of different pads and rated these his favorite.  the pad opening is larger than both the stock velour and pleather pads.  bass is a little more linear without the mid-bass hump and they soundstage and sound "open-like" as the some other open cans like the dt990/hd650. 

I thought the Beyer pads are for the K-70X, if you get more sound stage out of the 271 this is cool. I thing the GMP pads will fit the 271 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back