Absolute best budget earbuds?
Aug 9, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,386 of 2,999
Really looking forward to the tmusic v2, sadly despite costing £5 for the first time ever I got stung by customs charges, despite them being under the threshold, £15.66 in fees, hopefully I can claim most back with proof of purchase price.

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,387 of 2,999
Really looking forward to the tmusic v2, sadly despite costing £5 for the first time ever I got stung by customs charges, despite them being under the threshold, £15.66 in fees, hopefully I can claim most back with proof of purchase price.

How is that possible? You should not owe anything. Maybe they misread it as £50?

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #2,389 of 2,999
Yeah I dunno, unless the label was mis printed, most of the charge is handling fees rather than tax/import duty, bit frustrating, if the value was put incorrectly I'll get the tax back but not handling fees.

Are you sure? if it is a mistake you should not be charged at all. Royal mail charges £8 plus the VAT. DHL charges £11 plus the VAT.

They can't charge you for something that should not have happened. Be firm in a nice way with them.

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #2,390 of 2,999
Are you sure? if it is a mistake you should not be charged at all. Royal mail charges £8 plus the VAT. DHL charges £11 plus the VAT.

They can't charge you for something that should not have happened. Be firm in a nice way with them.

It's up to HMRC to do the refund sadly, they said if labelled correctly and their error they will refund all including RM handling fee, if labelled incorrectly but I prove shouldn't have paid vat then they'll refund only the vat, sadly no way of finding out til delivered on Saturday, at least I got to choose delivery day. There was also a small charge as apparently postage wasn't paid in full either, is strange but the first time it's happened in years and I've had plenty of parcels go through which I probably should have paid on so can't complain too much.

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #2,391 of 2,999
It's up to HMRC to do the refund sadly, they said if labelled correctly and their error they will refund all including RM handling fee, if labelled incorrectly but I prove shouldn't have paid vat then they'll refund only the vat, sadly no way of finding out til delivered on Saturday, at least I got to choose delivery day. There was also a small charge as apparently postage wasn't paid in full either, is strange but the first time it's happened in years and I've had plenty of parcels go through which I probably should have paid on so can't complain too much.

I know what you mean but it is annoying.. .especially in this case. You will not be disappointed with the bud!

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #2,392 of 2,999
Budget headphones/ IEMs are a thing of the past in US retail stores. Whatever is budget below $40 feels flimsy and plastic.
I don’t see any Sennheiser, Audio Technica or even Sony budget phones that look worthy of replacing a high priced headphone/ iems purchased.

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #2,393 of 2,999
Budget headphones/ IEMs are a thing of the past in US retail stores. Whatever is budget below $40 feels flimsy and plastic.
I don’t see any Sennheiser, Audio Technica or even Sony budget phones that look worthy of replacing a high priced headphone/ iems purchased.

The best budget ones are coming from China. Some are amazing and well built.

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #2,395 of 2,999
Which one? The Massdrop ones?

No not massdrop... that only is helpful for those in the usa. Just read some of the posts in here or in the earbuds roundup thread to get a feel for what is out there. Most people order from aliexpress or penon audio. It is late here in the UK ... I am too tired to think but it sounds like maybe there is a whole world of stuff out there that you are unaware of.

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #2,396 of 2,999
The word "budget" does not mean "cheap".
What sort of budget are we discussing?

$5 is a budget the same as $500 is a budget.

Where is the line of what is budget here?
Used colloquially here for 'cheap earbuds'. Again it's subjective on what is cheap. Anyhthing at $30 or below I'd consider a budget/cheap earbud.

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #2,397 of 2,999
Check the earbud round up thread. Many many excellent earbuds for all price points. Mostly from aliexpress or penon audio for international buyers.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #2,398 of 2,999
Anything budget with the shell of a Qian39 to come out lately which is good for listening to rock/indie/alternative? I'm saying the shell of Qian39 because I have small ears so they sit a bit better than VEMonks. Monks are comfortable but they just don't sit as tightly in my ear and the audio quality suffers as a result I guess.

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #2,399 of 2,999
Anything budget with the shell of a Qian39 to come out lately which is good for listening to rock/indie/alternative? I'm saying the shell of Qian39 because I have small ears so they sit a bit better than VEMonks. Monks are comfortable but they just don't sit as tightly in my ear and the audio quality suffers as a result I guess.

Try the Monk Lite, since it's in the smaller shell, and it has "more detailed" Bass than the Monk+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back