Absolute best budget earbuds?
Feb 16, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #2,131 of 2,999
Would like a little more bass :) the cable is still new, so have some annoying twists, but that isn't game changing. I plan to use both, just in different situation.
What foams are you using on the rx1 I found that heigi/thick donut foams or double thin foams add bass quantity.

But assuming that’s not sufficient I think something like the HE150 pro would be a good choice. Reviews say it’s got deep textured bass and pretty nice separation and smooth non offensive treble like the RX1.

However you’ll be hard pressed to find better resolution/clarity in an earbud under $70 because the rx1 has outstanding clarity for the price.

I’d play around with combinations of thin/thick or thin thin foams like I did on mine and other than the overly smooth and rolled off treble, I really like these earbuds for the price!

If you wanna upgrade I’d suggest saving up for the penon bs1 or other TOTL earbuds, because the rx1 is damn good for relaxing genres and give you some really nice clarity in the budget range.

If you just want a different signature and more bass in the budget range the HE 150 PRO or EMXs500 would be my suggestion based on reviews (I’ve only heard the original EMX500, just so you know)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #2,132 of 2,999
Rx1 with double or thick foam has bass quantity for sure, but it’s a little too soft for my liking and lacks that tight control you get from strong bass with thin foam combo you can use on other bassier earbuds.

So yeah maybe you can grab one of the two I suggested above and see what you think :)

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #2,133 of 2,999
Today I open up my old donut foam collection. Not sure which batch they're because I hand bunch of them mixed together. I realize most of them crumble like sponge cake when I tried put them on. What?

Edit. Man I wanted to post on earbud thread. Lol. That's the confusion when opening multi tab.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #2,134 of 2,999
Rx1 with double or thick foam has bass quantity for sure, but it’s a little too soft for my liking and lacks that tight control you get from strong bass with thin foam combo you can use on other bassier earbuds.

So yeah maybe you can grab one of the two I suggested above and see what you think :)

Thanks! I have been trying mine with some foams(the thinnier that I had at home, they came with some city tour earbuds) and donut foams, they sound better now, but...have been searching the He 150 pro and they look fun XD

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #2,135 of 2,999
I realize most of them crumble like sponge cake when I tried put them on. What?

I am not surprised. Foam does not age well...ever have a really old foam pillow? We can't expect to stock a lifetime supply. How old are they?

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #2,136 of 2,999
After 7 years my MX880's are finally starting to die (lost the left channel) so now I'm looking for a replacement and my head is kind of spinning with all of the different names. My playlist is largely rock though I do listen to a variety of other genres as well. I do like good solid bass. I'd rather not be replacing them every year so something with decent durability.

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #2,137 of 2,999
After 7 years my MX880's are finally starting to die (lost the left channel) so now I'm looking for a replacement and my head is kind of spinning with all of the different names. My playlist is largely rock though I do listen to a variety of other genres as well. I do like good solid bass. I'd rather not be replacing them every year so something with decent durability.
Try the seahf f150c it’s getting very high praise lately. Or try the emxs500 which is sn upgrade of possibly the best sub $15 earbud the emx500.

seahf f150c
http://s.aliexpress.com/iAFB3i6Z

emxs500
http://s.aliexpress.com/6viQzaEr
or
http://s.aliexpress.com/RVnMvm2U

and here’s some thin foams I recommend you try for clarity over the regular foams/donuts

http://s.aliexpress.com/veMv6jMb

all this for around $30 is a good deal imo, I’d get both and see which sound you prefer.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #2,139 of 2,999
is 150 ohm all right for you? I'm thinking of Seahf 150 (energetic) or HE 150 pro (relaxed) both would suit well in the budget area with decent build quality. I prefer the HE150 Pro but some really like the Seahf 150. Bass on both is present and goes deep even without foam.

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #2,140 of 2,999
is 150 ohm all right for you? I'm thinking of Seahf 150 (energetic) or HE 150 pro (relaxed) both would suit well in the budget area with decent build quality. I prefer the HE150 Pro but some really like the Seahf 150. Bass on both is present and goes deep even without foam.
forgot to ask that, although as you own them you may know if they are hard to drive or not out of portable sources?

The faaeal is 32 ohm and emx500 is 32 or 16 ohm I think. Old emx500 was easy to drive.

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #2,141 of 2,999
Thinking about it maybe I should have posted in the round-up thread as I'm not opposed to spending up to ~$100 as long as it's worth it and will last. For example @seanc6441 your posts about the Penon BS1 caught my eye.

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #2,142 of 2,999
Thinking about it maybe I should have posted in the round-up thread as I'm not opposed to spending up to ~$100 as long as it's worth it and will last. For example @seanc6441 your posts about the Penon BS1 caught my eye.
If it was me and I was spending up to $100 Ideally it would be best to share your preferences for music genres and sound signature. Otherwise you’d be hoping for the best lol :)

So what kind of sound are you looking for? warm or neutral tonality, bright or dark or balanced?

Also next time we should use the earbud round up thread as this thread is mostly used for budget earbuds and most people are viewing the round up thread for the majority of recommendations especially in the premium price category.

but for now we may aswell chat here.

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #2,144 of 2,999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back