Absolute best budget earbuds?
Dec 4, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #121 of 2,999
Well, it's mainly the bright highs. But the PT15 seem to have good detail and resolution. I have not had time to listen to them for more than 5 minutes. Bass is lacking and the soundstage is smaller than on Mojito.

RX-1 is the opposite of Mojito. The focus is on mids with little bass while the mids on Mojito are recessed. RX-1 is closer to Shozy Cygnus or Asura 2.

in my opinion, I assumed that the rx-1's also had good detail and resolution and even soundstage imaging, perhaps like the mojito, even though it was a mid focused earbud

I wouldn't call the cygnus mid-centric, (without hearing the asura), I had the impression that the cygnus had better extension on both ends

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #122 of 2,999
  in my opinion, I assumed that the rx-1's also had good detail and resolution and even soundstage imaging, perhaps like the mojito, even though it was a mid focused earbud

I wouldn't call the cygnus mid-centric, (without hearing the asura), I had the impression that the cygnus had better extension on both ends

Did you hear the Mojito ever? The RX1 is awfully claustrophobic in comparison. It has great detail and pretty good imaging but like Danneq said it is very mid  focused with very very little extension on either end. 

The cygnus is probably the most mid centric bud I know honestly. what would you call more mid centric than it?

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #123 of 2,999
  Did you hear the Mojito ever? The RX1 is awfully claustrophobic in comparison. It has great detail and pretty good imaging but like Danneq said it is very mid  focused with very very little extension on either end. 

The cygnus is probably the most mid centric bud I know honestly. what would you call more mid centric than it?

I haven't had the "luxury" to hear the $300 mojito, but hoped that the rx-1 could have similar imaging like it, I just used it today watching a movie and it didn't feel claustrophobic, they would sound like that compared to something so high end, probably, because of the lack of treble

I would call the rx-1 more mid-centric than the cygnus (from memory, haven't got it back yet)

even the monk is easy to say that it is almost mid-centric (or emphasis on mids), going from monk to hp32, it feels like hp32 has a more flat "neutral" sound, almost boring, every time I use the monk candy there is always a wow factor at the start and then it slowly goes away as I use it

back to the point, I assumed that the rx-1 was a little gem that outperforms its price tag, despite how mid-centric they are, details, imaging, soundstage (perhaps not as wide as some), with every movie I watch blu-ray or not I am reminded of how engaging they sound

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #124 of 2,999
  I haven't had the "luxury" to hear the $300 mojito, but hoped that the rx-1 could have similar imaging like it, I just used it today watching a movie and it didn't feel claustrophobic, they would sound like that compared to something so high end, probably, because of the lack of treble

I would call the rx-1 more mid-centric than the cygnus (from memory, haven't got it back yet)

even the monk is easy to say that it is almost mid-centric (or emphasis on mids), going from monk to hp32, it feels like hp32 has a more flat "neutral" sound, almost boring, every time I use the monk candy there is always a wow factor at the start and then it slowly goes away as I use it

back to the point, I assumed that the rx-1 was a little gem that outperforms its price tag, despite how mid-centric they are, details, imaging, soundstage (perhaps not as wide as some), with every movie I watch blu-ray or not I am reminded of how engaging they sound

a lot of people have said the DIY Dual Driver will give you a similar signature to the Mojito for a lot less. I would think either that or even the silver K's 64 has more in common with the Mojito.

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #125 of 2,999
  a lot of people have said the DIY Dual Driver will give you a similar signature to the Mojito for a lot less. I would think either that or even the silver K's 64 has more in common with the Mojito.

I know it was a stretch to compare the rx1 to a dual driver

I'm waiting to read more about the rose 64ohm that clieos has, no mention yet, can't even find them online

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #126 of 2,999
Er, fellas... this is the budget earbuds thread...
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #127 of 2,999

You can get Mojito for just under $200

I have owned and sold Mojito, RX-1, Asura 2 and Cygnus. I never compared Mojito to RX-1.

I remember RX-1 having great mids, weak bass and smooth highs together with a very intimate soundstage.
Mojito had deep bass, extended and almost overly bright highs together with recessed mids. The soundstage is super wide and quite deep.
Soundstage is that I'm most sensitive to. I love a wide and open feeling. Too small a soundstage can be enough for me to sell an earbud. That's the reason I sold RX-1 (the bright treble made me sell Mojito).

**** PT15 is not too far from what I remember of Mojito, minus the bass...

The buds Vapman mentions are similar to Mojito. The one called Moondrop is described as a mini Mojito. The Dark Horse I'm selling has got the same sound signature as Mojito with a very big soundstage and a v shaped sound with recessed mids.

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #129 of 2,999
Dec 4, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #130 of 2,999

I think the RX1 is awesome for movies, podcasts, etc. I think with donut foams it does fairly well with some music (eg. Spacious jazz, or avant garde guitar stuff, etc). It seems to struggle when you start throwing more congested rock music at it IMHO.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #132 of 2,999
  Going to have to check those out. Thanks for the link!

If you use the 'Quote' button we can see which post you are replying to.

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #134 of 2,999
Dec 4, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #135 of 2,999

You're welcome.
Which post were you referring to btw?

I edited my previous post to have the quote, but it was referring to this review - http://www.head-fi.org/products/qianyun-qian39/reviews/17094.
I'm looking for some really cheap earbuds for working out, destroyed 1 good pair and a budget pair in the last year so I need something I wont feel bad for accidentally breaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back