Absolute best budget earbuds?
Jul 17, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #2,896 of 2,999
Asian "-------" SHE3800. If those drivers from 2016 are there, then you are lucky. Now other drivers are not so good there.
Definitely 2016. It was among my 2016/early-2017 haul that escaped my "Great Earbud/IEM purging of 2018!". Gave out a ton of them to friends & relatives.

Also found 2 pairs of unused Cresyn LMX-E700 (Korean buds that uses MDR-E888 drivers) and Monk Plus Candy Edition (was good fun grabbing it at VE's timed sale that, literally, lasted a few minutes).

BTW, the SHE3800 is starting to sound bigger (holographic?), like a stadium rock concert. Terrible fidelity, but the energy and fun-level is off the charts! Think I may swap in some silver cables later; upper bass is too warm for my preference.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #2,898 of 2,999
BTW, the SHE3800 is starting to sound bigger (holographic?), like a stadium rock concert. Terrible fidelity, but the energy and fun-level is off the charts! Think I may swap in some silver cables later; upper bass is too warm for my preference.

I hated the SHE3800 that I got for music, but found it ideal for watching movies & videos on my phone.

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #2,899 of 2,999
I've started a thread "My guilty pleasure IEMs/BUDs". Anyone brave enough to confess and go through the shame...... come and tell us. IEMs/BUDs under $40. No critiques, purely pleasure. You are in a confession booth.

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #2,900 of 2,999
Fengru Tc200 (with mic)

(Idk how to upload a picture, im newbie lol)

Rumbly bass but lacks midbass imo. Kinda distant mids, sometimes the 2nd voices are louder than the singer. For clarity, it does bring out some elements of songs that I have never heard so clearly. Highs are very smooth. Separation and imaging is so great.

Complaints:
-Out of the box, these were INCREDIBLY sibilant. So sibilant that I almost regretted buying these at first. Took almost 1 month before it started to calm down.
- Sound sig. Lack of midbass makes vocals sound unnatural.
- Kinda disappointed. People said these were not fatiguing, but all it did was make my playlist feel boring and repetitive.

Also sorry if some of the things I have noted were wrong, I am pretty new to audio stuff.

For now, I am looking for something warm, with clarity and detail. I have my eyes on Sharp MD, since some people described it as such but I still have not found a good review of it, I dont know its pros and cons. I would like to try edifier h180, people described it as warm sounding, and has great separation and soundstage. Can someone clear which of the 2 is better?

Might post this on earbuds roundup since this thread has been inactive recently.

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #2,901 of 2,999
Fengru Tc200 (with mic)

(Idk how to upload a picture, im newbie lol)

Rumbly bass but lacks midbass imo. Kinda distant mids, sometimes the 2nd voices are louder than the singer. For clarity, it does bring out some elements of songs that I have never heard so clearly. Highs are very smooth. Separation and imaging is so great.

Complaints:
-Out of the box, these were INCREDIBLY sibilant. So sibilant that I almost regretted buying these at first. Took almost 1 month before it started to calm down.
- Sound sig. Lack of midbass makes vocals sound unnatural.
- Kinda disappointed. People said these were not fatiguing, but all it did was make my playlist feel boring and repetitive.

Also sorry if some of the things I have noted were wrong, I am pretty new to audio stuff.

For now, I am looking for something warm, with clarity and detail. I have my eyes on Sharp MD, since some people described it as such but I still have not found a good review of it, I dont know its pros and cons. I would like to try edifier h180, people described it as warm sounding, and has great separation and soundstage. Can someone clear which of the 2 is better?

Might post this on earbuds roundup since this thread has been inactive recently.

Better to post in the Earbuds Roundup thread, more active there.

I have both the H180 and the Sharp MD. I like the latter better. For me, the H180 is shouty. Sharp MD more balanced-sounding.

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #2,902 of 2,999
Better to post in the Earbuds Roundup thread, more active there.

I have both the H180 and the Sharp MD. I like the latter better. For me, the H180 is shouty. Sharp MD more balanced-sounding.

Thanks for the quick reply! Also thanks for kinda clearing up which earbud should I buy. Will definitely post on earbuds roundup later since I might get more info about sharp md and h180 :)

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #2,903 of 2,999
Thanks for the quick reply! Also thanks for kinda clearing up which earbud should I buy. Will definitely post on earbuds roundup later since I might get more info about sharp md and h180 :)

Get both if you can afford it. In the early stages, it's good to know which type of SQ you like and otherwise. Some people do like the H180.

Sep 19, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #2,904 of 2,999
I have the H180 which I like. I do use foams with them.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #2,907 of 2,999
Sigh...those aren't earbuds.
Yes, but with 11 posts he's new to headfi.

@thomas.otsig, those were wonderful for their time, pretty decent sound even today, but they are in-ear earphones. There's a minority number of us on head-fi who are fans of earbud (or just buds for short). The models under discussion here and on the buds roundup thread are similar to the original apple earphones. They don't go in the ear canal.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #2,908 of 2,999

@thomas.otsig, those were wonderful for their time, pretty decent sound even today, but they are in-ear earphones. There's a minority number of us on head-fi who are fans of earbud (or just buds for short). The models under discussion here and on the buds roundup thread are similar to the original apple earphones. They don't go in the ear canal.
How do you get earbuds in a good position in your ears? I bought a couple of pairs and I like the sound but if I press them in a bit, they sound much better. And I can't stop fiddling with them because of that... Are you supposed to be able to get a good seal with them?

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,909 of 2,999

Oh, sorry, I forgot my welcome mat :) There's just too many people making the same (false) distinction and calling IEMs = earbuds in a couple of FB groups I'm in. It gets old real quick.

Yes @thomas.otsig, what @Sam L said.

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #2,910 of 2,999
How do you get earbuds in a good position in your ears? I bought a couple of pairs and I like the sound but if I press them in a bit, they sound much better. And I can't stop fiddling with them because of that... Are you supposed to be able to get a good seal with them?
Did you try wearing it with foams?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back