Abrahamsen V6 DAC
Dec 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #166 of 204
Dalakong,
what a pity, what a pity!
but I must say that I am very satisfied with the North Star DAC, although I'm still curious if the Abrahamsen comes close to the ECD-1.
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #167 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by reverendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dalakong,
what a pity, what a pity!
but I must say that I am very satisfied with the North Star DAC, although I'm still curious if the Abrahamsen comes close to the ECD-1.
wink.gif

Well, I have read some rewiews from people who have tested both. And the answer is that V6.0 is the better one. As an example one person said at the Norwegian av forum: (sorry for my lack of tec knowledge) quote: First of all, I got biger room around the instruments and voices. More threedementional and much easyer to place sounds in the sound picture. It plays biger. The second thing that hit me was that V6.0 seem to go deeper and thighter in the bass with more details. I could hear much more details in bass play like sliding fingers on the bassneck and the fingers on the strings. It seem to be better and better. Have used it for 10 hours now. qoute end.

This is only one rewiew, translated with my poor language skills.

But the common wiev is that Abrahamsen is the better one.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #168 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalakong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have read some rewiews from people who have tested both. And the answer is that V6.0 is the better one. As an example one person said at the Norwegian av forum: (sorry for my lack of tec knowledge) quote: First of all, I got biger room around the instruments and voices. More threedementional and much easyer to place sounds in the sound picture. It plays biger. The second thing that hit me was that V6.0 seem to go deeper and thighter in the bass with more details. I could hear much more details in bass play like sliding fingers on the bassneck and the fingers on the strings. It seem to be better and better. Have used it for 10 hours now. qoute end.

This is only one rewiew, translated with my poor language skills.

But the common wiev is that Abrahamsen is the better one.

Hi Dalakong,
I had read this user review and that's why I was so interested, since it would be a no-brainer for the price. I'd love to compare the ECD-1 to my North Star, but I've read around and there seem to be people who consider the NSD the better one of both.
thanks for taking the time to translate
best regards
André

PS: next time you come to Brazil give me a call.
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #169 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by reverendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Dalakong,
I had read this user review and that's why I was so interested, since it would be a no-brainer for the price. I'd love to compare the ECD-1 to my North Star, but I've read around and there seem to be people who consider the NSD the better one of both.
thanks for taking the time to translate
best regards
André

PS: next time you come to Brazil give me a call.
wink.gif

Well, it won`t be before December 2010.

But now I just bought a V6 my self because I wanted to connect tv, blu-ray and pc in one box.

First I connected the V6 with rca kables, because Thomas Abrahamsen said that it was the same dac in V1, and I wanted to avoid more cables between cd and amp(upgraded V2) and wanted to run balanced.

It gave a good upgrade for tv sound and movie and music from pc, but I thought it sounded a litle "flat". I rememberd that some one said that V6 sounded better balanced, so I tryied. The sound became much better, more detailed and controlled in the bass compared to rca cable.

I tryied the cd player (V1.0) last, because I did not expect any improvement, but it was! Conciderable!
It got more power and even more control!

The midrange opened up and everything became more transparent and holografic and the bass cleared up, became more controlled and more precise. I did not expect this as said, and I mentioned this at hifisentralen.no in the brand friend tread for Abrahamsen, and there was other people who noticed this too.
I don`t know how much your dac costs, but for the price of, in your money, Reais, it would be about 1000Reais for a V6.0.

There was a test in a hifi magazin, called Lyd&bilde, of Abrahamsen vs HegelHD10, another Norwegian dac. The Hegel costs twice the price of Abrahamsen. And sounded slightly better was the conclution.

When it comes to headset I own a Grado 80SRi. I have a Argon HA 1 as headphone amp. It is a class A construction. And the price? about 175 us dollars for the headset and about 200 us dollars for the headphone amp. In my opinion this sound very good. In adition I have Denon AH-D501. Both this headset are relativly cheap, but for the value, you get a lot. Specially from the Grado.

With the upgrade to V6.0 I noticed the same as for my B&W CM7 speakers. The sound stage improved! Everything got bigger, more holografic an clear crispi natural sound and great control down in the deepest frequences.

The bigest drawback with V6.0 in my opinion, is that it have to be runned balanced. With RCA it sounds a little flat, not bad, but it lacks the certain feeling you get when you experience the satisfaction it is when everything seem to be right! You know, the reason we are doing this. Understand? This feeling that make you belive that you have the best equipment for the money you spent! And you know that next will be to increase the budget considerable!

Conclution: Buy this V6 and become happy!

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #170 of 204
Hey everyone, this dac seems VERY interesting. Can someone send me a link to a page with specs. I find the website difficult to navigate.
Irritating that there are nor many reviews of it. Has anyone been able to compare its sound to the northstar or the electrocompaniet ecd1?
Has anyone been able to study its innards and to say if it really is like the ecd1?
I find it difficult to believe because the ecd1 new is 4x more expensive.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #171 of 204
^ Most information seems to be available in norwegian. So here is a translate into english (mostly Google Translate).
Source: V Series by Abrahamsen

Quote:

Abrahamsen V6.0 D/A Converter

V6.0 can be used with PC, DVD player, CD player, satellite receiver or digital TV / radio broadcasts. The digital signal will be scaled up to 24bit and the frequency response is increased to 192kHz. This means that the digital noise limit will be halved, so that signals before were "drowned" in noise come out more clearly, and that the high frequency and overtones are reproduced without cutoffs.
For maximum canceling of distortion and low frequency noise the DAC and amplifier circuits are fully balanced. For further reduction of distortion is matched transistors in view of linearity. This allows the construction does not need to use high feedback to reduce distortion, thus avoiding the traditional "transistor sound".
For a power supply to deliver power quickly NOK (high frequencies) and long NOK (low frequencies), 3 requirements must be met simultaneously.

1. Large transformer with low primary impedance.
2. Extremely fast diodes for the same correction of AC power.
3. Fast, lavimpedans electrolytes with NOK capacity (reservoir) in relation to the power moves.

V6.0 meets all these requirements.

Quote:

Inputs:
4 digital inputs
2 RCA, 1 Toslink, 1 USB

Outputs:
1 set of Balanced XLR
1 Set Single RCA
Input impedance:
Balanced and single 10 Ohm
Frequency response:
DC to 1MHz - 3dB
90VA transformer
10.000uF reservoir

Size:
Width 430mm
Height 70mm
Depth 160mm
Weight 5Kg

Edit:
And now it is finally available at the retailer Elkjøp -> Elkjøp - Abrahamsen D/A converter
Price tag is NOK 4000, which converts to USD 700 and EUR 490.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #172 of 204
Hello everyone, I will be starting a new thread in the computer audio forum for this dac. I will be buying it and using it with my balanced stax amp and 404le stax headphones. I will be able to directlycompare it to a apogee minidac because a fellow dutch head-fier has that one. First though I will send it to fellow headfier darkless who has a stello da220mk2.
He gave me this link to a norwegian review translated with google translate. I live in the Netherlands btw and I think abrahamsen now ships all through europe because it was no problem for them to ship it to the netherlands. You can either pay with paypal or iban, here is the link to the review
Google Oversæt
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #173 of 204
Hello Anouk
I am now a proud owner of a Camelot Technologies Uther Mk4 Pre/DAC. Just telling you so you know what I finally decided upon. I will be using it with a Gryphon Tabu 2/onehundred amp.
Congrats on the Abrahamsen DAC
best regards
André

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #174 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Most information seems to be available in norwegian. So here is a translate into english (mostly Google Translate).
Source: V Series by Abrahamsen

Edit:
And now it is finally available at the retailer Elkjøp -> Elkjøp - Abrahamsen D/A converter
Price tag is NOK 4000, which converts to USD 700 and EUR 490.

Amazing price. Waiting for comparisons now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #175 of 204
Hi there i really suck in English so my little comparison between the abrahamsen V6.0 and the Electrocompaniet ECD1 may be a little difficult to understand but i am going to try my best !
smily_headphones1.gif

Abrahamsen_vs_EC.jpg

The equipment that was used was
Amplifier: EC AW250R
Preamplifier: EC 4.8
Speakers: Dali Helicon 400 MK2

for more references we took the signal first through a Sonicweld Diverter USB to SDPIF converter (this represents a significant change in sound, those who think otherwise have not heard it), then we tok a toslink cable directly from a MacBook.

We used 2 songs that we both felt we know pretty good. Damien Rice: Dogs and Seigmen: Döderlein (Norwegian band).

The first thing that struck me was that it seemed like there was a lower output voltage on th Abrahamsen DAC since I felt that the volume was slightly lower once we changed over from the EC DAC to the Abrahamsen DAC, but to do the comparison as fair as possible we let volume on the Preamp stand untouched in the song Dogs but tried to increase the volume a bit on Döderlein.

When we ran the signal through the sonicweld diverter I thought the differences between the two were most noticeable. On calm parts of the song Dogs they sounded almost exactly the same, but there were maybe a little more punch in the bass guitar with the EC and felt the voices were a little further forward in the room on the EC DAC. The sound of when the guitarist slid over the strings to change his chord I thought sounded better on the Abrahamsen DAC , but the middle part of the song when it is a bit much going on the EC DAC had a bit more control and instruments got a bit mor distinguish from each other compared to the Abrahamsen DAC

When we heard through the song without the diverter just Toslink right from the Macbook it wasn't as easy to hear the difference, but it was about the same differences only to a lesser extent.

On Döderlein we first heard through the song with the same volume. The first thing that struck me here was that Maraca in the start of the song was a little farther to the side with the EC DAC. when we played on the same volume the EC had again a little more punch than the Abrahamsen had, but when we increased the volume for the Abrahamsen DAC this actually had a little more punch then the EC DAC, but that is a little unfair comparison for the EC.

Voices and instruments were placed a little different around the room on the two DAC, but to distinguish what is the best sounding here is something I am not able to do.

So all in all, I honestly have to say I'm surprised by the Abrahamsen DAC! I Can say that the EC DAC is somewhat better, but not much. its certainly not 3 times better as the price predicts

again. sorry for my bad bad bad! English .

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #178 of 204
The Electrocompaniet gear is not mine unfortunately
frown.gif
it belongs to
A_Boy_Named_Sue here on this forum . only the abrahamsen DAC is mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back