Above & Beyond, FiiO 2019 Spring Launch Event, March 16, Music Player, Amplifier, Earphones, Accessories
Mar 23, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #436 of 460
Memory is cheap. Personally I use the internal memory on the X7ii all the time. The 64Gb is ok on the X7ii - but not enough. And choice between internal and external, I’ll take the internal all day everyday (faster access etc). With more people streaming and saving to off-line storage, I’d have thought it an obvious selling point. Personally I’d pay $50-100 more to have that option. I mean, think of same player with 256Gb internal at $100 more RRP. I’d be all over that.

And I usually only ever use 1 slot - but don’t mind having 2 - even if I don’t use it .......
Just trying to understand the perspective you are bringing... I don’t know the specs so I will pose the questions for you:

Is internal storage, per GB, more or less expensive than card based storage?

While internal storage has quicker access and bandwidth than external storage, is the performance difference noticeable in a DAP use model?

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #438 of 460
I just don't get why people get in these heated arguments. It's well known sound preference is subjective so why do people continue to try and push their sound preference on to others is beyond me. Best thing to do is find a reviewer who likes a similar sound as you do and go with their recommendation. Or buy IEM's and be the judge for yourself and sell off what you don't like.
Where is the +1000 button when you really need it?

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #439 of 460
Just trying to understand the perspective you are bringing... I don’t know the specs so I will pose the questions for you:

Is internal storage, per GB, more or less expensive than card based storage?

While internal storage has quicker access and bandwidth than external storage, is the performance difference noticeable in a DAP use model?

Not sure about the cost from a manufacturer POV - better for FiiO to answer. But I’ll explain my usage - which might help with understanding my reasoning.

I’m very much an objectivist. A long time ago I measured my hearing ability (double blind abx tests) and discovered that for me aac256 was completely transparent. A group of us did the tests - including a young guy who could abx mp3 320 on a few killer tracks (Stax system + higher volume) but even aac256 defeated him. To this day using the same master volume matched I’ve found no-one who can differentiate aac256 from lossless when tested properly.

So I archive FLAC but listen to aac256. Why? Because I can fit my approx 7K purchased track library on a single 64Gb card. So for me 128Gb onboard would give me wriggle room. Some people talk about 20K libraries - so 256Gb on board would cover them too.

Advantages -
1) look at the issues in threads - most of them come from dual slot scanning, dropping a card etc. onboard eliminates that
2) reduces lag
3) reduces time in adding tracks to library
4) for me - allows my library in one place
5) don’t have to worry about cards failing over time

For my portable use it solves a lot of problems. It helps not being hung up on the container (FLAC, DSD etc). Allows me to concentrate on what is important - the actual version/mastering.

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #440 of 460
I’m getting ready to compare the M11 to my QP1R with my SHURE KSE1500 and FiiO FH5 ☺️

Unfortunately I recently sold off my AK380.

Let my good friend A/B it earlier with a Sony ZX2, the FiiO is more referenced tuned with greater clarity and resolution, and linearity. Bigger staging and imaging .

Will report on the dedicated M11 thread

Jealous!

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #441 of 460
Not sure about the cost from a manufacturer POV - better for FiiO to answer. But I’ll explain my usage - which might help with understanding my reasoning.

I’m very much an objectivist. A long time ago I measured my hearing ability (double blind abx tests) and discovered that for me aac256 was completely transparent. A group of us did the tests - including a young guy who could abx mp3 320 on a few killer tracks (Stax system + higher volume) but even aac256 defeated him. To this day using the same master volume matched I’ve found no-one who can differentiate aac256 from lossless when tested properly.

So I archive FLAC but listen to aac256. Why? Because I can fit my approx 7K purchased track library on a single 64Gb card. So for me 128Gb onboard would give me wriggle room. Some people talk about 20K libraries - so 256Gb on board would cover them too.

Advantages -
1) look at the issues in threads - most of them come from dual slot scanning, dropping a card etc. onboard eliminates that
2) reduces lag

For my portable use it solves a lot of problems. It helps not being hung up on the container (FLAC, DSD etc). Allows me to concentrate on what is important - the actual version/mastering.
OK, understand your point. I have never experienced a card failure, but I know they happen. I have always stored my offline music on an SD card and never felt any performance issues. I download music from Tidal and Qobuz on my LG v30 and never felt it was unacceptably slow to do so. But my experience is my own, and I understand where you are coming from better and respect that!

Mar 24, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #442 of 460
Well, as to 4.4 vs 2.5... the perspective is going to be based on where you are coming from. If you have 4.4 cables, well, yeah, the 2.5 capability will go unused and seems like a waste of space and added cost. On the other hand, I bet most people do not have 4.4 but rather 2.5 cables, and the inclusion of 2.5 is to them a great design decision. I think FiiO smart to remove any adoption hurdle in this way. But then, from my last statement you can probably tell how all of my cables are terminated, and thus my perspective!

Yeah, and say you bought the M11 today. You really love it and see yourself living with it for quite a while. Now tell me you won't switch all your 2.5 to 4.4 for the extra sturdiness, and prevent the 2.5 socket from breaking?

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #443 of 460
Yeah, and say you bought the M11 today. You really love it and see yourself living with it for quite a while. Now tell me you won't switch all your 2.5 to 4.4 for the extra sturdiness, and prevent the 2.5 socket from breaking?
That really depends. I have quite a few IEMs and a lot (7) 2.5mm cables. I could see myself over time, as I bought new ones, replacing my 2.5mm cables with 4.4mm cables. But run out and replace them all now? Nah, not going to happen.

You see, this is not a theoretical topic for me. I am expecting any day to receive my R6 Pro. The only balanced option for me is 4.4mm. I will have to live with adapters for a while. If I had known about the M11 at the time I ordered the R6 Pro, the broader support for connectors may have been a swing consideration.

Point is that as individual consumers we all see things through our own lens. You see it your way, I see it mine, different because we have a different perspective and starting point. Neither of us is right or wrong. It is the vendor's job to find a way to make their product appealing to their target buyers. Hiby decided that their target buyers either have 4.4 connectors, or are willing to live with adapters. FiiO probably decided to differentiate themselves by making it easy by eliminating the need to make a decision.

Anyway, sorry that you have to live with the presence of a jack you won't use, but I hope you are able to see that FiiO may have made a wise choice where others are concerned, even with some dissatisfaction on your part

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #448 of 460
Tidal on PC >> ifi XDSD>> Headphone
I don’t think that’s what he’s asking. And for the record my vote goes to M11 >> Headphone. If you’re going to get an ifi, get the Micro BL, but that’s halfway between a mobile rig and desktop. Just my 0.02.

May 4, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #450 of 460
I measured my hearing ability (double blind abx tests) and discovered that for me aac256 was completely transparent. A group of us did the tests - including a young guy who could abx mp3 320 on a few killer tracks (Stax system + higher volume) but even aac256 defeated him. To this day using the same master volume matched I’ve found no-one who can differentiate aac256 from lossless when tested properly.

Agree 100%. I've done my own tests and reached this exact conclusion. No point in wasting valuable space if M4A is completely transparent.

I archive FLAC but listen to aac256. Why? Because I can fit my approx 7K purchased track library on a single 64Gb card. So for me 128Gb onboard would give me wriggle room.

Agreed, 128GB of internal storage stores a massive library of M4A.....and no degradation in sound.

Advantages -
2) reduces lag

For my portable use it solves a lot of problems.
Allows me to concentrate on what is important - the actual version/mastering.

I rip tracks directly from CD.

No Bluetooth. No Wireless. I just hardwire IEMs directly to my DAP.

I've had cards fail in the past and it's the absolute worst experience. Fortunately, it only takes several hours to be up and running again but, as you say, onboard storage minimizes the probability of that happening. My ZuneHD with 32GB of onboard storage hasn't skipped a beat for 10 years.....and counting. Should order a $15 replacement battery some time soon if I want it to go for another 10 years.

I like your point regarding lag being minimized (simplifying tasks will likely result in the DAP's smoother operation). I'm currently looking at a new Cowon but this M11 seems interesting. With all the hybrid and multi-driver IEMs on the market these days its low output impedance is an absolute necessity. A lesson that Hiby with its dual Sabre DACs, DTA Architecture, et al had to learn the hard way (Hiby R6).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back