About to buy a Sony 222ES
Dec 10, 2002 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bubblegummy

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm about to place an order for a Sony 222ES SACD player. Any thoughts or better suggestions? I haven't listen to it before. The reason why I would buy it is because it has a changer. Also, SACD doen't seem important to me.

Let me know of any alternatives besides this Sony. I prefer to stay below $400. Maybe $500 is the maximum.

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 20
bubblegummy,
I'd recommend you stay away from changers. They tend to provide less stability and have higher jitter. They also break more often. The best choice for quality is a single CD tray mechanism, preferably at the center of the player. If SACD is not important, look for NAD, ARCAM, ROKSAN, or REGA players. They are reputable for sound quality. Some models should be within the U$ 500.00 range, if you are in North America.
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Dec 10, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

I'd recommend you stay away from changers. They tend to provide less stability and have higher jitter.

A changer lifts the CD up off the tray and loads the disc onto the same spindle just like a single disc unit. I see no reason why a changer is inherently any less stable than a single disc player, or should sound worse.

I'd look for a used 333ES with your budget.

Mark

Dec 10, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 20
I have the ce-775, which is a step below the 222; and I have a c555es, which is a step above the 222. I am very pleased with both, especially with a headphone setup. I like the changer for obvious reasons, but it is also an excellent cd transport (555); and both have been completely reliable in the eight months(775) and five months(555) I have owned them. The sound is excellent on sacd and very good with cd on both; the 555 being slightly better overall with a richer, more refined sound. I think the 222 would be an excellent choice. I was going to buy a 222, but they were out of stock at that time; and thats how I ended up with the 555. Oade Brothers has them for $325.

Dec 10, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 20
If you want it for a headphone system I would go for a 333ES. The difference between the two is that the 222 has multichannel output, the 333 stereo output. But the build quality of the 333 is superior to the 222. For a multichannel system I would suggest a 555. IMO.

BTW I agree with Markl, a good changer is not necessarily inferior to a single disk unit.

Dec 10, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 20
The 222 or 555 can be used as stereo players, they arent exclusively multichannel. The 333 had major reliability problems; do a search on the Audio Asylum if you want to see what I mean.The 555 was given in exchange to those whose 333s kept breaking. Lots of people received new 555s because sony couldnt keep the 333s working. The new Phillips 963sa could be another good choice from what I have read, but I have no personal experience with them. By the way, Phillips is closing out sacd 1000s; I saw some for as low as $500 on Audiogon. They were as low as $399 fron Tweeters, but I think those are all gone. People bought them for $399 and are now selling on Audiogon. This is another good option, those were originally $2000. Hope this helps!

Dec 10, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 20
No reliability problems here. But I did return two 222's that couldn't cut it. Gave up on those and bought the used 333. Most of the problems with the 333's occurred very early in their life cycle. Sort of like a lot of the Melos amps. If you got a good one it pretty much stayed together well. The build quality of the 222 was definitely not up to the 333. I realize that the 555 can be used as a stereo source, however, why pay the extra $ for multichannel if you are going to use it for headphones only? The 963 or sacd-1000 are great suggestions if you can get them for a good price. J&R is selling the 963 for $399.

Dec 10, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

The 963 or sacd-1000 are great suggestions if you can get them for a good price. J&R is selling the 963 for $399

If they ever ship.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 20
Hi Guys,

Quote:

A changer lifts the CD up off the tray and loads the disc onto the same spindle just like a single disc unit. I see no reason why a changer is inherently any less stable than a single disc player, or should sound worse.

Well I'm no audio engineer here but as far as I've heard and read about it in high end audio magazines changers do pose problems, especially when it comes to upsampling DACs. That's why there aren't any upsampling CD changers anywhere. All right allright, SACD's DSD conversion involves no upsampling at all, so we can guess that it may not be vulnerable to all the jitter and clocking related problems that demand such precise single disk clamping mechanisms in upsampling CD players. That may be correct, but my concern here is this: I've heard, and read about it on this very forum, that Sony's SACD players actually upsample Redbook CD signal by converting it up to DSD signal and then process it through the dedicated DSD-DAC. If that is so, then, the Changer mechanism's (as purported in HIFI audio periodicals) greater vulnerability to resonance may lead to problems in the Sony's Redbook playback quality. Like I said, I'm no audio engineer and I'm kinda speculating here, but the fact that no one makes upsampling CD changers and all upsampling CD player/transports feature extremely precise single disk clamping mechanisms must have a reason. Anyways, if you are all satisfied with your Changers' performances then I take it that it's good.
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 20
My recommendation is not to buy audio components without listening to them first.

Even if they are as good as they're supposed to be - not always the case - the sound may not be to your tasts.

Dec 10, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

That's why there aren't any upsampling CD changers anywhere.

The 333ES upsamples Redbook to 24-bits and provides 4 separate selectable filters that achieve this process via different means and sound somewhat different, allowing you to season to taste.

Mark

Dec 10, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by bubblegummy
Hi guys,

I'm about to place an order for a Sony 222ES SACD player. Any thoughts or better suggestions? I haven't listen to it before. The reason why I would buy it is because it has a changer. Also, SACD doen't seem important to me.

Let me know of any alternatives besides this Sony. I prefer to stay below $400. Maybe $500 is the maximum.

Thanks.

The Philips SACD1000 is going for $400 these days. Grab one while you can..

- Wasif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back