About to buy a Sony 222ES
Dec 11, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #17 of 20
Mark,

Quote:

The 333ES upsamples Redbook to 24-bits and provides 4 separate selectable filters that achieve this process via different means and sound somewhat different, allowing you to season to taste.

Exactly. The Sony changers are the only such upsampling devices with changer trays I've heard of. High End players are always single disk machines though. Anyways, if you don't detect any errors during Redbook playback then the Sony changers are safe. I know the Sony SCD XB-940 SACD player features the same four filters so I imagine these machines must be similar. Interesting. The 333ES must be a good sounding machine.

Cheers,
Alex Altorfer
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #19 of 20
I've heard both of these units with different Melos SHA-1s and the same pair of HP-1s and HP-2s, and I came away liking the 555ES more. The SHA-1 had JJs in it with the 333ES, and the SHA-1 had JAN Sylvania's with the 555ES.
The 333ES was Jon Beilin's and the 555ES I own, so it is pretty subjective. I came away feeling that the 333ES was a little more dry on both redbook and SACD than the 555ES. Both units were well broken in, which seemed to yield noticeable sonic improvements (I think guys on AA say the sound settles after 500 hours).
Anybody directly A/Bed the two?

Dec 11, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #20 of 20
Seems like there's quite a few 555es on Headfi. I've had mine for about 8 or so months and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

I had wanted a 333es but the dealer ran out, so it was between the 555es or the 222es. No doubt the 555es was a better machine. I think I would have enjoyed the 333es just as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back