About the "Buying headphones?" megathread...
May 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nathand

New Head-Fier
I don't mean to be rude, since I really like this forum, but I don't think it works well at all. Why not just create a subforum in this forum that is specifically for asking about buying headphones?

The problem with the megathread is that it's impossibly hard and time consuming to skim through each page trying to see if someone has replied to your question. And as for:
OK, this may be a futile exercise, but hopefully we can tidy this forum up and reduce the daily replication of threads that ask the same questions.

Do you really think anyone's going to read through 284 pages with 4257 replies? I would be much more prone to peruse the forum and use the search feature if the questions were in separate threads, as opposed to all lumped together in one massive thread.

Just thought I'd share my $0.000002 cents :)

May 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 16
I was also wondering about that particulary thread. I can perfectly well understand that it can be tiresome to answer the same question over and over again, resulting in a lot of redundant threads in the forum. But IMO it is unrealistic to expect that people will be reading through +4000 posts, in order to, maybe, find an answer to their question.

May 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 16
I don't expect people actually read the whole thing (especially these days), but by posting the question there instead of in the main forum, I suppose that it'll keep the redundant questions to one thread rather than "cluttering up" the forum as a whole. It can be hard to read through, though searching can reduce some of the pain. It's not as clean as a true subforum, but at the same time those reading through it will be more likely to read all the newer posts and be able to help those posters out where they might have skipped over some new threads in a hypothetical subforum.

May 29, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 16
But then there is a chance that many experienced member will just simply bypass that subforum..

May 29, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 16
agreed

May 29, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 16
Don't read through the entire thread. Use the "Search this forum" function after you've done some reading to narrow it down to headphones you may be interested in. Also, just make a post asking the question in that thread. There are some pretty knowledgeable regulars there that only go to that thread and answer questions. Instead of having numerous threads of asking the question it's all in one place. People who are willing to help go to that thread, and people looking for advice go to that thread. Not really meant that you go through all the pages, so I don't think it's broken at all. 

May 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 16
yea that thread is very difficult to use.

too inefficient

May 30, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Don't read through the entire thread. Use the "Search this forum" function after you've done some reading to narrow it down to headphones you may be interested in. Also, just make a post asking the question in that thread . . .

It can take a lot of reading before one knows enough to use the Search function to narrow things down. I know that you may not have intended for that to come off as it did; as in your very next sentence you suggest that people just ask their question - presumably after reviewing the last few pages of the thread to make sure the question hadn't been asked/answered recently? I agree that the thread isn't broken, but it is intimidating in length and that may put some off to the point where they never see the first post in the thread. Assuming the moderators agree that the tread isn't broken, is there a reason why the thread isn't stickied?

Other suggestions:
  1. Add the Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range to the Useful Links section of "blue box" at the top of the forum thread listing page.
  2. Perhaps the first post of the "Buying headphones?" thread should be converted to an article and posted in Useful Links as well?
  3. And maybe use big neon lettering for it and Boomana's article (even though the link is currently broken) . . .

May 30, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 16
For one, I don't mind the redundant questions.

After all, the market continually changes. New models appear, old ones get discontinued, prices change, the used market fluctuates, and much else.

Go ahead and ask questions. That's the point of having a discussion forum.

Further, I like to see new members get a personal response. It's nice.

May 30, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 16
I'm probably one of the main guys in the megathread. I agree that it's a bit cluttered, but really it's not all that hard to search through. Most questions get answered fairly quickly and that's rarely ever more than one page back if you check back the next day. It's also a good place for shyer members who might not feel up to starting a new thread on their own.

May 30, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 16
Ah, yeah I didn't mean for it to come off badly. I was just trying to say that there are several ways to use that thread besides just reading through the whole thing. And I agree it should probably be stickied. Also the Wiki should be more prominent for newer members. There is some good info in there and it takes a back seat to the forums.

Quote:
It can take a lot of reading before one knows enough to use the Search function to narrow things down. I know that you may not have intended for that to come off as it did; as in your very next sentence you suggest that people just ask their question - presumably after reviewing the last few pages of the thread to make sure the question hadn't been asked/answered recently? I agree that the thread isn't broken, but it is intimidating in length and that may put some off to the point where they never see the first post in the thread. Assuming the moderators agree that the tread isn't broken, is there a reason why the thread isn't stickied?

Yeah, Armaegis has been super quick whenever I've followed the thread. I'm still fairly new myself so I've asked a couple questions in there and have been happy with the responses I got. Props to Armaegis and whomever else devotes time to that thread. Super helpful!

Quote:
I'm probably one of the main guys in the megathread. I agree that it's a bit cluttered, but really it's not all that hard to search through. Most questions get answered fairly quickly and that's rarely ever more than one page back if you check back the next day. It's also a good place for shyer members who might not feel up to starting a new thread on their own.

May 30, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 16
I agree with this one. I think there should be a sticky or a wiki, where people can list what headphones work with specific music genre, then people can just do searches based on what they see there. 

Quote:
Don't read through the entire thread. Use the "Search this forum" function after you've done some reading to narrow it down to headphones you may be interested in. Also, just make a post asking the question in that thread. There are some pretty knowledgeable regulars there that only go to that thread and answer questions. Instead of having numerous threads of asking the question it's all in one place. People who are willing to help go to that thread, and people looking for advice go to that thread. Not really meant that you go through all the pages, so I don't think it's broken at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back