Able Planet Sound Clarity® SI500 (impressions)
Nov 19, 2013 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mikey01

Headphoneus Supremus
This will not be a review on the Sound Clarity® SI500. However they deserve one. This is moreover to bring some enlightenment to HeadFiers..
Recently I made a comment in another thread about buying a pair of Meelec M-Duos with dual dynamic drives after falling for Amazon review hype. I wanted to try the A161's but despite great reviews by HeadFiers I am reluctant to try them after the M-Duo's didn't pan out (poorly colored bass, boxy, hollow and boomy sounding). However where the M-Duo were over priced @ $70 earphones the  Able Planet Sound Clarity® SI500 are not over priced..

On the contrary. I bought them at the same time as the M-Duo's. I got the copper ones (look more bronze). I burned both earphones in for 60 hours. Yes I know that armature type phones don't often need burn in but it never hurts.. The sound is balanced with good detail and strong non boomy bass.. And yes this pair of armature drivers do very much need break in.. BTW they do look a bit fragile.. I want to bobble gosh all over the place and say that they sound like a $200 dollar pair and that they are the best ever in a three element driven earphone.. But I can't. .

I can't because I have not heard other three element earphones so I really don't know.. And do not want my enthusiasm to over cloud my judgement or over bill the earphones.. HOWEVER they do indeed need praising. For $50 they are a huge bang for the buck worth at least a discounted price at Amazon for $100 and you may feel after hearing them that they are worth a whole lot more... Just please burn them in for 60 hours as they sound sibilant and grainy till burn in happens.

In conclusion where the Meelec M-Duo's @ $70 were a disappointment the Able Planet Sound Clarity® SI500 @ $50 certainly is not...

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 6
I have these and they are dual dynamic drivers, not balanced armatures.  I also think they are a clone of the Radius DDM2 or Brookstone Dual Drive (same dual drivers and specs).  I've never heard the Radius DDM2 so I don't know how they compare, but they have the same housing and specs and sound great. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Three elements and they are not copies of the Radius.

LINX AUDIO® ADVANTAGES
  1. Award Winning Sound Quality & Speech Clarity
  2. LINX AUDIO® creates higher frequency harmonics
  3. Filters undesirable sound
  4. Increased Perceived Loudness Without Increasing Volume
SPECIAL FEATURES
  1. Patented LINX AUDIO® a Hear the Difference® technology
  2. Triple-element architecture
  3. ComfortFit™ sound isolation tips block exterior sound and create a custom fit for maximum comfort
  4. Ultra-Lightweight design
  5. Premium brushed aluminum finish (Copper)
  6. Multi-function controller with microphone
  7. Play, pause and advance music
  8. Answer and hang up calls
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  1. Neodymium Magnet Speaker: 15/7mm
  2. Magnetostrictive Linx Coil
  3. Impedance (1kHz): 24Ω ± 15%
  4. Frequency response: 8 Hz ~ 20kHz
  5. Sensitivity at 1 kHz: 100 dB/mW
  6. Plug: 3.5mm
- See more at: http://shop.ableplanet.com/sound-isolation-earphones/sound-clarity-reg-si500.html#sthash.qHXYpDrL.dpuf

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 6
Been playing 24/7 round the clock. They just get better and better. They have replaced my Sony EX 700 IEM's as my go to IEM's of choice... Again a real surprise for $49.95 and free shipping... The silicone rubber reinforcement buttress piece that follows the cable into the ear piece came out of it's fitment to the ear piece and had to be fitted back in.  Thies IEM's could be a bit fragile.. However they do carry a lifetime warranty.. I wish Able Planet would heavy-dutyize there whole lineup of IEM's even if it costs more.

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 6
  Three elements and they are not copies of the Radius.

LINX AUDIO® ADVANTAGES
  1. Award Winning Sound Quality & Speech Clarity
  2. LINX AUDIO® creates higher frequency harmonics
  3. Filters undesirable sound
  4. Increased Perceived Loudness Without Increasing Volume
SPECIAL FEATURES
  1. Patented LINX AUDIO® a Hear the Difference® technology
  2. Triple-element architecture
  3. ComfortFit™ sound isolation tips block exterior sound and create a custom fit for maximum comfort
  4. Ultra-Lightweight design
  5. Premium brushed aluminum finish (Copper)
  6. Multi-function controller with microphone
  7. Play, pause and advance music
  8. Answer and hang up calls
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  1. Neodymium Magnet Speaker: 15/7mm
  2. Magnetostrictive Linx Coil
  3. Impedance (1kHz): 24Ω ± 15%
  4. Frequency response: 8 Hz ~ 20kHz
  5. Sensitivity at 1 kHz: 100 dB/mW
  6. Plug: 3.5mm
- See more at: http://shop.ableplanet.com/sound-isolation-earphones/sound-clarity-reg-si500.html#sthash.qHXYpDrL.dpuf

The driver setups exactly like the Radius BTW.  It's dual dynamics as stated by the tech specs.  The drivers employed is one 15 mm woofer and one 7 mm tweeter per housing.  AblePlanet actually uses the same driver setup for a lot of their IEMs reusing the same drivers as well.  That said, the AblePlanet IEMs aren't bad at all, and definitely do offer a very nice sound to them.  

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 6
Then what is the "Triple-element architecture" that they refer to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back