Abandoning Panasonic HJE900
Nov 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #32 of 39
  You could also give the DDM's a try, very balanced sound with the right tips and also polite and non fatiguing. Soundstage is very big and 3d but more psychedelic than accurate some times.  They don't offer isolation though and the fit can be tricky till you get used to them (they are not uncomfortable, you just need to figure out the angle of insertion so that they stay inside your ear). 

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #33 of 39
You may want to consider Phonak PFE, any model including Perfect Bass. They all use same transducers, housing and cabling. Difference is only in packaged user replaceable filters that mod the sound signature. You can buy filters separately. Phonak is a Swiss firm so for you in Italy it shoal be vey easy to get.

By the sound of it cheaper Perfect Bass that come with green filters which emphasize mids and lows fit your requirements perfectly. Ironically I just migrated from Phonaks to HJE900 mainly because I couldn't get proper fit with Phonaks (everybodys ears are different!) and I was looking for a more spacious and less polite sound. Otherwise Phonaks , even with green filters, sound exceptional - balnced, detailed, lush mids, nothing sticks out or tires you. Grey filters make them even more neutral while black filters sit in between.

Btw, I also hate harsh treble and bright sound in general. With Panas I immensely enjoyed wide stage and sort of hooligan sound. But sibilance initially also bothered me until I simply switched to foam tips. Using different ear tips is not a mod that you can't reverse when you want to sell. Burn-in with pink noise also helped to tame the highs. All in all I'm very happy with Panas but will wholeheartedly recommend Phonaks as well.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #34 of 39
I hope you dont take it as an offense eric, but you really seem to have a high tolerance for headphones which are awfully bright. Even with the new pair of MD's, I occasionally find myself turning down the volume because of its awfuly vocal high's.
Oddly enough, I find the Coppers to sound far more tame than the MD's. While this seems to detract from cymbal clangs, I find techno, and the like, to be easier on the ears with the coppers. Although, they dont seem to render the kind of emotion the MD's are capable of..

~just a humble observation
duggehsmile.png

Quote:
I guess we do all have different ears, because I am one of those people who think the HJE900 sound fantastic!! And I have yet to hear sibilance. Oh well, to each his or  her (hearing) own. I mean I can't see how anyone couldn't like these sans just not being your sound signature.

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #35 of 39
The DDM's *might* be an interesting sound for the OP, though if it has to be one earphone to rule them all, isn't ideal for portable use. They do have a nicely blended sound rather than a V-Shape curve, and if you are at all sensitive to sibilance (as I am) you won't have any issues with them.

The RE0's are sweet, but can be a bit sibilant depending on source. They are okay with an iPhone 4, but as the amp is not hugely powerful (better than the 3G at least) you may get a little bass roll-off.

Do you have a budget? Something like the new EQ-5 or FAD-A1 might be a great option for you, though its a big jump up in price from the options we're discussing here. With those IEMs you're looking at a sweet and clean, slightly mid focused sound and no sibilance with the right tips.

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #36 of 39
To the OP: I don't see the problem. You like everything but the harsh treble. You have a clip+. Just use the parametric EQ supplied with Rockbox and fix the problem. The HJE900s are fantastic once you tailor their sound to your personal taste.

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #37 of 39
I hate sibilance and bright sound in general but I was looking for a more lively sound and better fit than Phonaks. When I got Panas few days ago I was expecting much worse in terms of hot treble. Yes sometimes, but by far not always, there's some annoying screechiness especially in some vocals and cymbal crashes. But most of the time it's not the case even with stock ear tips. In bad cases of really bright original mastering or low bitrate lowering volume a bit helps a lot. Foam tips eliminate the problem allbtogether but they darken the whole sound signature and rob detail too much to my tastes. Pink noise burn-in also seemed to help somewhat though it could be a placebo effect (not a firm burn-in believer).

All by all I'm extemely happy with Panas especially considering $90 price. Huge soundstage, amazing but textured bass, great instrument separation, detailed mids and lower highs, excellent build and fit. If there's a single sound aspect that bothers me somewhat it would be not supposedly too hot treble but rather recessed mids.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #38 of 39
Recessed mids and hot treble aren't really my thing, but i would still buy them if i could get them for that kind of money here in Europe. Their build quality alone more than justifies the price, and they are also technically capable, even if not completely to my tastes.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #39 of 39
I got the tf10 amazon deal and compared tf10 with hje900. They are both thought to have recessed mids. 
I liked tf10 better because they sound more opened up, they have a wider soundstage.
hje900 are a bit dull and too warm to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back