AAW Capri Balanced Lightning Audio Cable, with Type-C variant
Aug 30, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #121 of 212
There obviously is an issue of communication here gearofwar. If you are NOT listening to Hi Res/Hi Fi tracks on your DAP and STILL hear a notable difference between your DAP and iPhone through the same IEMs I would venture to say that you have incredible hearing. Hi Res tracks offer the highest quality sound. That’s why you should be interested in obtaining Hi Res/Hi Fi tracks at least on your DAP. You are not realizing the full potential of your DAP if you are listening only to MP3s. Even if you are listening only to MP3s, the best quality sound on recent iPhones can only be realized through the Lightning connector unless you go with an external DAC and amp. Although I personally prefer the SQ of the Shure LTG Cable compared to the Capri, in my opinion, the Capri increased SQ over the standard Shure cable and like the Shure, it offers a reasonable all-in-one solution. Even if you don’t hear a day and night difference with the Capri (which you should) it’s worth trying the Capri if only for the iPhone remote and microphone features. Without knowing which IEMs or DAP you are using, it is difficult to assist you further. If, for example, you are using a $2K IEM with a $1K Cable, you ain’t going to be impressed with the Capri

Clarification: iTunes is compatible with all the cable options discussed. Hi Res files will NOT play the rough iTunes. You would need to download Onkyo HF Player (or similar) from the App Store and do some finagl
From my understanding, I'm not sure if you have a problem of reading comprehension here. Where did i say that I can't hear the difference between Hi-res and normal tracks (the difference can be so small and insignificant) and where did i say i didn't have any Hi-res files on my dap? please stop over assuming. Second, you need to know that a well-remastered track even in 320kps is better than a crap in 192/24 ***. That's why I don't use Hi-res track all the times and the hires tracks I have here are 16/44 FLAC , i don't give a damn about 192/24 or anything above because there are just noises. Moreover, I convert the 192/24 to 44/16 and mp3 all the time. So what is your point?
All I asked was a simple question: How is sound quality of iphone 5s's se vs through capri ? and you gave me a half-baked answer and I don't need all those extra info
No, you do not NEED the Capri Lightning cable. Music will sound fine through the headphone jack. However, you can only listen to HiRes music through the lightning connector. The Capri combines DAC, iPhone controls, and mic into one cable. If you use an external DAC you can still connect via headphone jack but to take full benefit of HiRes you will still need to connect the DAC to the iPhone using a lightning cable
You told me that I don't need it because iphone 5s on se sounds fine then you told me to use lightning connector to be able to use hi-res tracks ? <= just wth, you are saying that I can't use Hi-res tracks normally with iphone without going through lightning connector to get full potential? looks like you are the one having problem with playing Hi-res track on your phone, are you using stock music player? I have a variety of file formats, why do i need to care about hi-res only here when other can also sound as good?
Now at the end you are telling me that Capri does actually increase the SQ of iphone 5s
FYI, the same mp3 track I have on my phone does sound worse than being on my dap and also that same track sounds better than alot of hires track on the phone.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #124 of 212
Gearofwar, I admit I added some extraneous information but I only did so because you are withholding information like what gear you are using as a reference. That’s why I did NOT want to make ASSUMPTIONS and included the additional information to cover all (or most) options based on whether or not you use Hi Res tracks, stream Hi Fi through Tidal, or require iPhone controls.

You asked whether or not the AAW Capri DAC Lightning Cable will improve your iPhone performance. How could that be answered YES or NO if you we do not know the quality of your 4.4 Balanced Cable? If it is of particularly high quality, how could a $50US headphone cable WITH DAC AND Lightning connector AND iPhone controls AND microphone perform better? If, however, your current headphone cable is garden variety, well then, the Capri will LIKELY increase performance. And as an added bonus, provide iPhone controls.

If you, gearofwar, stated that you are considering ONLY the Capri DAC Lightning cable AND NO OTHER OPTIONS other than continuing to use your CIEM and current headphone cable, and THEN asked for opinions whether or not the Capri will increase iPhone performance, you would have gotten a different response. Even still, I think it natural to ask how good your current headphone cable is.
It seems you didn't get anything, I DID NOT say anything about the balance cable I'm using because it has nothing to do with the PHONE, it's a Sony WM1A DAP on 4.4 balance and More Importantly, I didn't ask for ANY comparison between my DAP, cable and CAPRI , it's YOU who misread entire thing. Second, when I mentioned "High-end CIEM" , it doesn't matter which model they are because any tier 1 can easily detect differences between sources and cables. so my QUESTION was "Out of Iphone5s' SE vs out of a Capri with a HIGH-END CIEM". You didn't answer this thoroughly instead blabbing about those UNWANTED extra info that anyone on here KNOWS. Now if you want a specific MODEL for the CIEM, you should feel free to pick anything from Tier 1.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #126 of 212
No, you do not NEED the Capri Lightning cable. Music will sound fine through the headphone jack. However, you can only listen to HiRes music through the lightning connector.

That's bull. The Lightning connector as used here is working at 48 kHz sample rate and nothing else. Only a full USB solution (Lightning to USB adapter into Class Compliant USB DAC) plus a better player like Neutron will offer any sample rate.

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #127 of 212
You are an obnoxious piece of shyte, aren’t you warofgear? YOU asked “Hi guys, if I already have Iphone 5s, do I need Capri for use with high-end ciem? is it better than phone's se output. Thanks”. This is clear to you. F-off.
You can't comprehend my question, CAN'T even answer it properly and blabbing with more nonsense then criticizing why I didn't do the same (using So Hi-res files) as you, i suggest you have some problem with reading comprehension...Can't even keep your behavior properly also. I literally laughed so hard at your "F" word, the lowest of the low.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #128 of 212
That's bull. The Lightning connector as used here is working at 48 kHz sample rate and nothing else. Only a full USB solution (Lightning to USB adapter into Class Compliant USB DAC) plus a better player like Neutron will offer any sample rate.
he's clearly a noob that were trying to educate people as if they didn't ktnow anything. He kept blabbing a whole load of nonsense as if he's "knowledgeable" guy around and not even understand my question properly (some reading comprehension problem with this guy) and even demanded me giving him more unnecessary info..

Back to my question : Hi guys, if I already have Iphone 5s, do I need Capri for use with high-end ciem? is it better than phone's se output? <= some person couldn't answer me this properly.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #129 of 212
I hesitate to step into this den of controversy,:rolling_eyes: but yes, I think you will get an improvement over the iPhone output. The iPhone out quality is limited by its DAC, so if you play high res files you will need a product like this that bypasses the iPhone DAC to decode your files properly. I listen to tidal, but I still use an external DAC with amplifier, and I believe that a good amplifier section makes my gear sound better (esp if the phones, items, buds or whatever are high impedance.

That being said, I like the aaww access port better because it is not limits to use with iems. Anything with a 3.5 plug will work...... it acts as a dongle. But it is better for portable use than having the apple camera kit go to your DAC/amp and then to your listening devices.

PleSe don't start a fight with me...... I a, a very nice girl. :haircut:

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #130 of 212
I hesitate to step into this den of controversy,:rolling_eyes: but yes, I think you will get an improvement over the iPhone output. The iPhone out quality is limited by its DAC, so if you play high res files you will need a product like this that bypasses the iPhone DAC to decode your files properly. I listen to tidal, but I still use an external DAC with amplifier, and I believe that a good amplifier section makes my gear sound better (esp if the phones, items, buds or whatever are high impedance.

That being said, I like the aaww access port better because it is not limits to use with iems. Anything with a 3.5 plug will work...... it acts as a dongle. But it is better for portable use than having the apple camera kit go to your DAC/amp and then to your listening devices.

PleSe don't start a fight with me...... I a, a very nice girl. :haircut:
thanks, finally a proper answer . No worry, I don't bite lol

tbh, I was expecting for my question with answers like : amp section vs amp section or dac vs dac, which being better than which.

Btw, the iphone 5s might be the last iphone to have good output impedance for iphone thats why i didn't bother with newer versions. Iphone 4 was even better and they were also known for having already good dac section for many years, not easily surpassed until more advanced solutions.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #131 of 212
thanks, finally a proper answer . No worry, I don't bite lol

tbh, I was expecting for my question with answers like : amp section vs amp section or dac vs dac, which being better than which.

Btw, the iphone 5s might be the last iphone to have good output impedance for iphone thats why i didn't bother with newer versions. Iphone 4 was even better and they were also known for having already good dac section for many years, not easily surpassed until more advanced solutions.
Thank you for not biting me. The gear of war nickname is very intimidating..... unless you play gears of war. I used to, but am getting too old to be good at that stuff, I prefer Mario these days.

Anyhow, even wth the iPhone 5 I used a camera kit to external dap/amp (mojo or geek out) and heard an improvement: clearer and bigger soundstage. Whether that was because of the DAC or the amp being superior I cannot say in all honesty; just my impressions. I hope this helps.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #132 of 212
I think the answer is already in this thread. Currently the Capri cable fights with low noise hiss, especially with the kind of IEM you asked for. No such problem with the iPhone's output. The sound difference between iPhone and Capri is near zero compared to the hiss that it adds (big difference). Unless you need a high power output and the Capri cable gets de-hissed there is no need to buy the Capri cable, IMHO.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #133 of 212
Thank you for not biting me. The gear of war nickname is very intimidating..... unless you play gears of war. I used to, but am getting too old to be good at that stuff, I prefer Mario these days.

Anyhow, even wth the iPhone 5 I used a camera kit to external dap/amp (mojo or geek out) and heard an improvement: clearer and bigger soundstage. Whether that was because of the DAC or the amp being superior I cannot say in all honesty; just my impressions. I hope this helps.
I do know that a dac like Mojo improves things over ( I sold it 2 times) (the dac and amp section in Mojo are far superior to iphone handsoff so when you line out any better amp/dac device will surely beat iphone) but not that is not the points I was looking. I was looking for info if the dac/amp inside capri is better than iphone for its asking price (doubting), it can't beat Dragonfly red for sure but I'm curious if it's worth considering it an upgrade not just small changes.

Btw I used to play Gears of war when i was young, you are correct. I have used this username for more than 12 years so it's hard to change once getting used to it, also easy to create accounts etc. I don't play those nowadays but its still a nickname to have thoughts about.

I think the answer is already in this thread. Currently the Capri cable fights with low noise hiss, especially with the kind of IEM you asked for. No such problem with the iPhone's output. The sound difference between iPhone and Capri is near zero compared to the hiss that it adds (big difference). Unless you need a high power output and the Capri cable gets de-hissed there is no need to buy the Capri cable, IMHO.
Got ya, this is what i was concerned about. Is hissing really that bad? so this cable is more like for people who is devoid of 3.5 ouput on the new iphone.
Looks like i got my answer as well . Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #134 of 212
deleted.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #135 of 212
I do know that a dac like Mojo improves things over ( I sold it 2 times) (the dac and amp section in Mojo are far superior to iphone handsoff so when you line out any better amp/dac device will surely beat iphone) but not that is not the points I was looking. I was looking for info if the dac/amp inside capri is better than iphone for its asking price (doubting), it can't beat Dragonfly red for sure but I'm curious if it's worth considering it an upgrade not just small changes.

Btw I used to play Gears of war when i was young, you are correct. I have used this username for more than 12 years so it's hard to change once getting used to it, also easy to create accounts etc. I don't play those nowadays but its still a nickname to have thoughts about.

Got ya, this is what i was concerned about. Is hissing really that bad? so this cable is more like for people who is devoid of 3.5 ouput on the new iphone.
Looks like i got my answer as well . Thanks
Honestly, given what you described, it is probably not going to be an upgrade. I tried it with TFZ EX5s from Massdrop (around $68) and there is a definite hiss. If you listen to noisy music loud you may not care, but I don't so I'm less than enamored with these. The accessport is a better way to go.

If you want to have an improved DAC/amp and not a lot of stuff to carry, the accessport would be a better choice. It is a very small dongle, not much bigger than the apple camera kit, that you can plug your iems into. This is what I do at work.

At home (if not using full sized cans), I use the apple camera kit to an external DAC/amp.

So no, I don't think the Capri is for you. And it may not be for me either unless I get some IEMS with 2 pin detachable cables that I love........

If you are curious and in the US I will send you the Capri to try. Then you cen decide and let us know what you found. (I bought 2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back