A700 or XB500 ?
Sep 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sequencius

New Head-Fier

[size=1.7em] Audio Technica ATH-A700 or Sony MDR-XB500 40mm ?[/size]

I listen to everything, it's not for gaming just music.
Also I don't want anything too big like my RX700s since I usually wear mine when walking.

Anything else you can recommend for around the same price range?

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 10
Well, turns out I have both of those on my desk at this very moment.

Are you using these as a portable, or just home listening?
Do you consider yourself a basshead, or value lots of bass?
Are you okay with a 10ft cord, or do you prefer a 4ft one?
How important is comfort to you out of all the other factors?
Does it matter if the headphone leaks sound or not?

If you don't want something big, STAY AWAY from the A700. Period.

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 10
Yeah I do bring em to school and walk around with them a lot so portability is good.
I like bass..but not excessively, just for hiphop.
Cord length doesn't really matter to me.
Comfort idk I guess that can always be fixed.. or I could just get used to them; so not that important to me.
I don't really want them to leak that much, I want to be able to play em somewhat loud without disturbing people around me you know?

And are the A700s really that big?
I just can't stand how big the RX700s are, they're really uncomfortable to wear around the neck also.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 10
Can't speak for A700 but do note that XB500 leaks some sound cuz of the "bass reflex" holes on the backside, if you would wear them in public that might become a prob. XB500 is mostly for bassheads, it's got really lots of bass but it's good sounding bass though and mids sound really good and stands out well from bass and the highs are very smooth which is like either like or hate depending what you prefer, might need a little EQing to sound really great too.

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 10
A700 is NOT portable, so you probably wouldn't want to get that, but i'll list pros and cons from what ive experienced anyway:

the good:
soundstage/separation great for a closed can at this price range...this is pretty much thanks to its massive size.
very comfortable
easy to power, reasonable price

bad:
muddy highs, strong sibilance
mediocre isolation
looks - if you're wearing these around in public you will look ridiculous.
poor portability

If you insist on full sized headphones id suggest ath-m50 or shure440...otherwise get some IEMs....

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 10
All A- and AD-series can make you look ridiculous IF you don't run your hand through your hair after wearing them. An A500 gave me a ridiculous Mohawk after about 30mins. It's the "paddle" padding that leaves hair normal/standing between them.

Quote:

bad:
mediocre isolation
looks - if you're wearing these around in public you will look ridiculous.
poor portability

If you insist on full sized headphones id suggest ath-m50 or shure440...otherwise get some IEMs....

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 10
The A700s are much bigger than the XB500 but they are definitely the headphone with the better sound quality. The XB is definitely for bassheads.

On normal portable use, the XB has undeniably inferior sound quality aside from it's strong bass impact. The soundstage is small, mids and highs are muddy and congested.

The A700 has much larger soundstage, much better separation of instruments and vocals, nice bass impact that doesnt infringe on the rest of the sound spectrum. However, it is really big. Don't plan to walk around with it. It will also not sound very good with hip hop music with fake cymbals. Fake cymbals can be piercing but natural instruments sound very nice.

If you want a basshead headphone, I would recommend other options such as the Ultrasone HFI 580 or Audio Technica M50 for higher fidelity. I would even recommend the Audio Technica ES7 over the XB series.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 10
If you wear them to school, then I don't know if either one are a very good choice. But you should NEVER take the A700 anywhere. Period.

Quote:
MidgetT said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

bad:

I knew it had strong sibilance! I never really knew what that sounded like until I heard these. All of a sudden, my eye was twitching every time the singer said "seven".

I now know what sibilance is -- and my eye doesn't like it. (Neither do my ears)
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 10
That's a good choice, they both shut off ambient noise well and doesn't leak anything so both you and others won't be disturbed and for that price it's quite good pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back