A700 or M50
Nov 8, 2010 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

2enty3

100+ Head-Fier
So I've done my fair share of searching the forums here, and out of all the threads I've seen, Everyone seems to lean towards the M50 in terms of SQ and personal experience. 

But I still don't know which one to get.

Things I've picked up:

- A700 has lots of bass overall whereas the M50 has tighter but less bass.
- both are closed but the M50 has greater isolation
- A700 feels more open and resonant than the M50
- A700 has a stronger mid-range
- M50's are tight around the head, A700 is bigger and slightly looser
- opinions on comfort vary largely....

My "Situation":

- Own AKG 242 MKII
- Slightly lack in the Bass Department
- Find them to be almost big enough for my large ears ( earlobes are very long, so they start to hurt from being pushed against my          head
- LOVE the fit of the 242's otherwise
- Planning on using for portable use
- Want the one that looks more unique (AKA less common)
- Listen to Metal, Rock, Rap, R&B, Techno, Electonic, A little DUBstep, J-pop/rock.

Overall I kind of want the A700's more but I want to spend my money wisely, considering the M50 are slightly cheaper than the A700's.

Any more input regarding which one is a better buy is very appreciated because I really am at a stand still.

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 5
Having the A700's, I can tell you that they are amazing 'phones. Unfortunately, do to their size and cable length, they are NOT very portable. All they are not very isolating, they feel to me as though they are on their way to being a semi-open headphone. If you are looking for a pair that is portable for say, train and travel use, I would recommend the M50 for its portability and sound isolation. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 5
I would echo that the A700s are not good for portable use.  They really are gigantic.  I can't comment on the SQ of the M50, since I haven't really gotten around to picking up a pair, but the A700 is great for computer and other stationary use, and I definitely would not want to move them around too much.  They're just too big and the construction is not super durable.  Not that I've had problems with build quality with my A700s (other than the pads finally falling apart), but the wing system doesn't inspire confidence that it would survive for long in a backpack or something.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 5
I would echo that the A700s are not good for portable use.  They really are gigantic.

As an owner of the A700's i heartily agree. These are not very portable. I tote them to and from work in my messenger bag but even doing this a couple weeks has me contemplating buying a different set of headphones to keep at home so i can leave these at work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back