A warning about headphone listening to appear in this Sunday's New York Times Magazine
Jan 9, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:
I don't agree with several of you. A few veiled threats are not going to persuade anyone.

My approach is that Ms. Heffernan is intelligent and educated. ...

You are correct on both counts, and I regret my previous tone.   Ms. Heffernan is a talented and experienced journalist (I used to be one myself; well, I don't know about the "talented" part, but I got a paycheck from a big-city newspaper a few decades ago), who writes an excellent blog.  You can read a short bio and see a picture of her about halfway down this page:

http://themedium.blogs.nytimes.com/

One thing I know from my newspaper (as well as advertising agency copywriting days) is that people are frequently handed assignments, with deadlines, and do not have as much time as they might like to self-educate themselves in a certain subject before they have to turn something in to their editors.  Certainly preventing hearing loss is something we can all agree with, whether young or old, and the communal, as opposed to solitary, enjoyment of music has its place as a social activity, but her article seemed largely ignorant of the many responsible musical enthusiasts who find state-of-the-art headphones and their associated electronics to be a valuable replacement/alternative to conventional loudspeaker-based systems.  For my own part, I can achieve greater musical fidelity at a lower cost using headphones, and it is critical that I don't disturb those around me, even when I am in my own apartment home, which has thin walls.

Anyway, I apparently made a factual error of my own implying that the Apex Pinnacle tube amp from TTVJ and Pete Millet could drive Stax C32 electrostatics. I just wanted Ms. Heffernan, who I am sure enjoys music, to see how thoroughly and faithfully it can be enjoyed via a state-of-the-art headphone system.

That's all.  As Eric Burdon and the Animals used to sing, "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good; oh, Lord, please don't let me be misundesrtood." :)

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #32 of 47

Quote:
Point her in the right direction and use a little persuasion, and she might write another story that would make us look good. Wouldn't it be cool to see another article about the high-end headphone scene with quotes from Head-Fi'ers and photos of our gear?
She's wrong, but there's also a good chance she can be brought around to our perspective.

I do not like the /b/ mentality of heaping abuse on people you don't agree with. It's better to hear someone out, counter their arguments and persuade them to your point of view. If we accomplished that, we'd have a friend in the press and, possibly, some big-time coverage of CanJam.

Brilliant!

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:
It's astonishing how terribly misinformed some News articles are.  You really notice until they print something that you are actually familiar with.  Then it makes you wonder if everything else they print is equally as dumb, just unbeknownst to you.

As someone who reads news papers, even if there is not any news it still amazes me how much non sense you can find in 'quality' news papers. 'dumb' might be a bit exaggerated but sometimes I wish the editors who decide what goes in would be more critical. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #34 of 47
Kudos to Uncle Erik for writing to Ms. Heffernan, I can't think of a more qualified Head-Fier to represent us.

Ms. Heffernan article may seem like a big "dah" to Head-Fiers, however I'm certain it struck a cord with any number of parents who never  thought about their children damaging their hearing with those colorful little thingys they stuff in their ears. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #35 of 47

Quote:
Kudos to Uncle Erik for writing to Ms. Heffernan, I can't think of a more qualified Head-Fier to represent us.

Ms. Heffernan article may seem like a big "dah" to Head-Fiers, however I'm certain it struck a cord with any number of parents who never  thought about their children damaging their hearing with those colorful little thingys they stuff in their ears. 

it's funny how many parents buy bose for themselves but let there kids stick with stock apple earbuds (well, the ones who don't buy there kids beats by dr dre)

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

If parents do not keep an eye on such things they can blame themselves. It might seem harsh but hearing damage and your kid eventually thinking that music is just entertaining sound should not be taken too lightly. Music is an important medium for emotion and thought... (Sometimes the things that are taken for granted are difficult to find when gone.)   

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #38 of 47
As a teenager I feel really sorry for kids who lose their hearing from bad headphones. In my english class last semester, there was one kid a few rows away from me who was always listening to his iBuds and I could hear them from my seat (I'd say we were about 2.5 yards apart). I also find it kind of ironic how a whole lot of teenagers say things like "music is my life", but are driving themselves to a point where they'll never be able to enjoy it the same way. I wish I could just give everyone a nice set of IEMs and instruct them on proper use to save my generation, but alas I haven't got that type of money. I guess I was lucky to venture into the world of higher-end audio to save me from myself

$0.02

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #39 of 47

So can we finally put at rest those Grado-owning/recommending morons?
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #40 of 47

Quote:
As a teenager I feel really sorry for kids who lose their hearing from bad headphones. In my english class last semester, there was one kid a few rows away from me who was always listening to his iBuds and I could hear them from my seat (I'd say we were about 2.5 yards apart). I also find it kind of ironic how a whole lot of teenagers say things like "music is my life", but are driving themselves to a point where they'll never be able to enjoy it the same way. I wish I could just give everyone a nice set of IEMs and instruct them on proper use to save my generation, but alas I haven't got that type of money. I guess I was lucky to venture into the world of higher-end audio to save me from myself

$0.02

A nice set of IEMs will damage one's hearing as quickly as will as set of lowly stock earbuds.  It's not the tool, it's the carpenter.  Exposure to overly loud noises, regardless of the source, will damage one's hearing...  PERMANENTLY.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #41 of 47
Indeed. If anything, the lack of a 'dynamic behaviour' in many single-driver IEM's can be a bigger problem due to the user turning it up to unhealthy levels to get the liveliness that they crave.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #42 of 47
I would love to see her write an article as "for headphones" considering this one was against them.  I'm not going to argue, she does make a few good points, she also misses a few options as well.  Call me what you will, but if parents really cared so much about the hearing of their kids, they would first limit the use of headphones (nothing like a good family conversation).  But that aside, most music players that I know of have a VOLUME LIMIT that you can enable - duh.  Nothing beats good common sense of just turn it down.  I've noticed I hear things better and clearer when its not cranked to 11.  And as my last thought - anyone remember the Monty Python "argument" sketch?  Yeah...this is gonna be like that....

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #43 of 47

Quote:
Quote:

$0.02

A nice set of IEMs will damage one's hearing as quickly as will as set of lowly stock earbuds.  It's not the tool, it's the carpenter.  Exposure to overly loud noises, regardless of the source, will damage one's hearing...  PERMANENTLY.

Well, my reasoning is that most people turn their earbuds up too loud to block outside noise, which won't be a problem with IEMs

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #44 of 47

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

$0.02

Well, my reasoning is that most people turn their earbuds up too loud to block outside noise, which won't be a problem with IEMs

Only mature people follow that logic!  It's completely lost on kids.  
etysmile.gif
   Maturity has little to do with age.

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #45 of 47

Quote:

Maturity has little to do with age.

sometime frustrating, especially if your "in advance" for your age.
I understood this when I was 14. one day a 18 years old girl told me that "It would be fun to see how your r10 is going to burn if I put it in the fire".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back