A warning about headphone listening to appear in this Sunday's New York Times Magazine
Jan 8, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #16 of 47
The New York Times is head of the captain obvious machine that thinks it knows how to think better than you do. The people who write it think you will be safe if you just do what they say. I think people who really care about music and headphone gear are very motivated to protect their hearing, to say the least. How can you A/B something if you can hardly hear?

On the other hand, thank you, Uncle Erik. 

Edited out non useful comment.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:
I just emailed the author. I corrected a few of the errors and invited her to drop by Head-Fi. Perhaps she can follow this up with a case for headphones.

Well, I knew it would be provocative when I first posted the link, but I just couldn't restrain myself.  You get the sense that if Virginia Heffernan of The Times really believes, as she writes, that Skullcandy "sells some of the best headsets around," that she might not really know that much about the subject matter of this particular article of hers.  In addition to inviting her to visit Head-Fi online, someone ought to try to get her to come to a Manhattan-area "meet" and put a pair of the new Stax C32 electrostats on her carefully coiffed head, plug them into an Audio Apex Pinnacle amplifier, play something well-recorded at about 85 db., and see if she at least recants the Skullcandy remark.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #22 of 47
How ironic that you would state she knows nothing about headphones, and then suggest that the Pinnacle could drive electrostatics :p 

Quote:
Well, I knew it would be provocative when I first posted the link, but I just couldn't restrain myself.  You get the sense that if Virginia Heffernan of The Times really believes, as she writes, that Skullcandy "sells some of the best headsets around," that she might not really know that much about the subject matter of this particular article of hers.  In addition to inviting her to visit Head-Fi online, someone ought to try to get her to come to a Manhattan-area "meet" and put a pair of the new Stax C32 electrostats on her carefully coiffed head, plug them into an Audio Apex Pinnacle amplifier, play something well-recorded at about 85 db., and see if she at least recants the Skullcandy remark.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #23 of 47
I don't agree with several of you. A few veiled threats are not going to persuade anyone.

My approach is that Ms. Heffernan is intelligent and educated. That doesn't make her right, but I think she would be open to considering the other side of the argument. Point her in the right direction and use a little persuasion, and she might write another story that would make us look good. Wouldn't it be cool to see another article about the high-end headphone scene with quotes from Head-Fi'ers and photos of our gear?

Instead of bashing, take a few minutes to send her an email. She's wrong, but there's also a good chance she can be brought around to our perspective.

I do not like the /b/ mentality of heaping abuse on people you don't agree with. It's better to hear someone out, counter their arguments and persuade them to your point of view. If we accomplished that, we'd have a friend in the press and, possibly, some big-time coverage of CanJam. Not only that, but she might end up buying a nice rig and enjoying her music a lot more. Sure beats cancelling someone's credit cards, doesn't it?

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #24 of 47
I wish I had your patience and ability to look at things calmly and reasonably. I'm always impressed by your wisdom. Of course you're right. Hopefully your correspondence will accomplish something positive.

Quote:
I don't agree with several of you. A few veiled threats are not going to persuade anyone.

My approach is that Ms. Heffernan is intelligent and educated. That doesn't make her right, but I think she would be open to considering the other side of the argument. Point her in the right direction and use a little persuasion, and she might write another story that would make us look good. Wouldn't it be cool to see another article about the high-end headphone scene with quotes from Head-Fi'ers and photos of our gear?

Instead of bashing, take a few minutes to send her an email. She's wrong, but there's also a good chance she can be brought around to our perspective.

I do not like the /b/ mentality of heaping abuse on people you don't agree with. It's better to hear someone out, counter their arguments and persuade them to your point of view. If we accomplished that, we'd have a friend in the press and, possibly, some big-time coverage of CanJam. Not only that, but she might end up buying a nice rig and enjoying her music a lot more. Sure beats cancelling someone's credit cards, doesn't it?

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #27 of 47
It's astonishing how terribly misinformed some News articles are.  You really notice until they print something that you are actually familiar with.  Then it makes you wonder if everything else they print is equally as dumb, just unbeknownst to you.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #28 of 47

Quote:
It's astonishing how terribly misinformed some News articles are.  You really notice until they print something that you are actually familiar with.  Then it makes you wonder if everything else they print is equally as dumb, just unbeknownst to you.

no, we're just above average intelligence

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #29 of 47

Quote:

Thanks for the admonition, Uncle Erik. The credit card reference was an attempt at a joke, but it was in poor taste. I fully believe people can be responsible and get good sound within their budgets. We need to make friends and not enemies. I am going to shoot Ms. Heffernan an e-mail when I have the chance.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #30 of 47

Quote:

Lawyer'd!

Unfortunately, Erik, there will be hordes of people always vomiting abuse others. The cure? A shotgun... Or Pepto Bismol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back