A warning about headphone listening to appear in this Sunday's New York Times Magazine
Jan 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 47
How is any of that new? Listen loud and you'll get hearing damage...

Skullcandy sells some of the best headsets around?

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 47

Quote:
How is any of that new? Listen loud and you'll get hearing damage...

Skullcandy sells some of the best headsets around?

i was just going to comment on the skullcandy remark

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 47
epixxx fail

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 47
A little condescending, but people definitely need to connect more and share in the joy of music. It is just that we use headphones because people don't like the same music we like or because we don't want to wake people. Earbuds are stupid for using with a lot of noise, also. Earbuds are disliked on head-fi, something that saddens me. They have a natural soundstage, tonality, placement of instruments, and other speakerlike qualities I love. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 47
Earbuds have their uses such as being able to hear whats going on around you but other then that they suck. Maybe I just haven't tried the right earbuds...

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 47

Quote:
A little condescending, but people definitely need to connect more and share in the joy of music. It is just that we use headphones because people don't like the same music we like or because we don't want to wake people. Earbuds are stupid for using with a lot of noise, also. Earbuds are disliked on head-fi, something that saddens me. They have a natural soundstage, tonality, placement of instruments, and other speakerlike qualities I love. 

so do most open headphones

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 47

Quote:
I just emailed the author. I corrected a few of the errors and invited her to drop by Head-Fi. Perhaps she can follow this up with a case for headphones.

Thank heavens.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 47
EDIT: I was obviously PO'ed when I wrote this, so I sort of flew off the handle. As usual, UE was a fountain of wisdom on this issue, so just take the following as a record of what I said. It got quoted a few posts down, anyway, so there's a permanent record regardless.

Yeah, typical tripe. You know, if you swallow a pound of caffeine or an entire bottle of painkillers it will kill you. We don't need the "enlightened" musings of a New York Times writer to tell us that. Blaring headphones is a similar, if not deadly, case: I don't think there's a single person alive who doesn't know that continued exposure to loud sounds carries a significant risk of hearing loss. I also don't think anybody who was really concerned about it would blare headphones. I'm getting really tired of these "saving us from ourselves" arguments. We get it. There are risks to everything we do. We will decide what's best for us, thank you very much. And if that upsets this author's sensibilities, then maybe she'd better find another place to live.

And before you even try it, NO I am not advocating people engage in destructive behavior, so don't think you can pigeonhole my argument that way. It's not obvious situations like this one I'm worried about. It's the idea that some mook can decide (s)he doesn't like some random thing people are doing, and suddenly we all have to care.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #15 of 47

Quote:
Yeah, typical tripe. You know, if you swallow a pound of caffeine or an entire bottle of painkillers it will kill you. We don't need the "enlightened" musings of a New York Times writer to tell us that. Blaring headphones is a similar, if not deadly, case: I don't think there's a single person alive who doesn't know that continued exposure to loud sounds carries a significant risk of hearing loss. I also don't think anybody who was really concerned about it would blare headphones. I'm getting really tired of these "saving us from ourselves" arguments. We get it. There are risks to everything we do. We will decide what's best for us, thank you very much. And if that upsets this author's sensibilities, then maybe she'd better find another place to live.

And before you even try it, NO I am not advocating people engage in destructive behavior, so don't think you can pigeonhole my argument that way. It's not obvious situations like this one I'm worried about. It's the idea that some mook can decide (s)he doesn't like some random thing people are doing, and suddenly we all have to care.

it seems like the article is mostly concerned with saving today's youth....because they don't know any better... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back