A Tale of Three amps and an ER-4S
Feb 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sarals

100+ Head-Fier
miketn was kind enough to loan me his Minibox E+ and his RSA Tomahawk for a few days to help me draw some amp comparisons for a future purchase. He pointed out that the MiniBox was voiced for the Etymotic ER-4S's, and it would surprise me. He warned me that it was new, not burned in, and it would get even better with time. Still, being a long time (okay, old) engineer and (former) audiophile, I was skeptical. I've owned the Ety's for a long time and the only amps I've ever heard that could make them bloom are good desktop amps and rack mounted distribution amps in pro settings.

Mike's amps arrived yesterday and I commenced to listening almost immediately (I did have to open the box first!). I own an AMB Mini³, so I included it in my listening. I used my iPod 160G, with the LOD out, and a not expensive LOD cable that I own. Mike supplied a nice EFN LOD with his amps, but I decided early on to use my LOD. I have only Redbook standard 44.1/16 WAV files on my iPod, so that's the “encoding” I listened to. I used the Etymotic ER-4S that I own exclusively because the object was that I was “looking for” a portable amp to capably drive them.

The Setup

I inspected the amps first. I have to tell you that I had been skeptical of the MiniBox as per build quality, but it is as nice as anything I've seen. The Tomahawk was beautifully made and finished, and it was freakin' tiny – almost too small! My Mini³ is housed in a standard Hammond case, and it is bigger than the other two amps, but hey, it's not big, either! It's build quality was, well, DIY.

I did a quick listen in this order: 1) MiniBox E+, 2) RSA Tomahawk, 3) AMB Mini³.

Right away the MiniBox asserted itself. It was warm, expansive, and delivered a bass slam from the Ety's I'd not heard them do with an iPod as a source. I turned off the bass boost, and the sound softened, but the image remained expansive.

The Tomahawk was clean, quiet, and pristine. It presented a nice image, but it wasn't as captivating as the MiniBox. The bass was there, but it lacked authority and was laid back – the kind of bass I'm used to hearing from the Ety's.

The Mini³ was also quiet and clean, but it sounded a bit brash and forward, almost sterile. The image was very similar to the MiniBox, wider than the Tomahawk. The bass was once again there, but not forward, much like the Tomahawk.

After that cursory listen, it was time for the serious “interview”. Bear in mind, I am not a reviewer. I am a person who has been working in and around pro audio in some capacity (from live sound - being an A2/roadie, monitor mix engineer, FOH engineer, to small scale classical music location recording), since 1973. I don't do it full time, but I've been in love with sound reproduction since childhood, and I have a fairly well trained, good ear.

MiniBox E+

First, was the MiniBox E+. I kept the bass boost on and the gain (impedance) switch on high. I played a gamut of music through it – from E. Power Biggs performing Bach's “Toccata and Fugue in D Minor”, to Steely Dan's “Gaucho” and a lot in between. As it did initially, it engaged me with the Etymotics in a way that I had not heard them do before in a portable application. One of my first thoughts was “why did I buy those Shure SE530's, there's the bass I've been missing!”

Indeed, there was bass. Authorative, big, not overpowering, but with the kind of weight that the music posses, and that the Ety's don't normally deliver. Extension? Well, the Ety/MiniBox combination seemed to start to roll off around 50Hz. There was still bass “down there”, but it wasn't loud. There was a visceral “slam” to the music, though, if the program called for it – once again, something the Ety's don't usually do! However, that signature Etymotic accuracy was still there. The bass notes were crisp and precise, not boomy and with no overhang. The MiniBox could throw impressive dynamics, as well, and had power to spare, even at high SPL's.

The mids were “the Ety mids”, only now fleshed out. The clinical coldness the Ety's usually present was not there. Instead, there were smooth, easy sounds – liquid vocals, full sounding pianos, percussion with impact, and a warmth that was intoxicating. The notes had attack and edge and sheen, and were so luscious!

The highs were also “the Ety highs” – unchanged from what I expected to hear from these IEM's. Timbrally accurate, clean, excellent decay, and not the least bit bright or spitty.

The image the MiniBox gave was “deep, wide and continuous”. It really was! Everything was locked in place in that huge space, and the depth to that soundstage, when called for, was palpable and impressive.

My overall impression of the MiniBox E+ was one of complete synergy with the ER-4S. This amp was a window on the music, and it stayed out of the way, never imposing itself on what I was listening to (even though that was EXACTLY what it was doing – I was hearing equalized sound, but properly equalized sound).

RSA Tomahawk

I kept the gain on "high" the whole time. The batteries were fresh, brand new.

“H*** S***, this thing is little!” It did not sound little, though. It lacked the bass presentation the MiniBox had, and it also would not generate the sound pressure levels the MiniBox could. What it did do was present a clean, articulate image. It wasn't a terribly expansive image, but it was good none the less. The Ety's, with the Tomahawk, sounded like the classic ER-4S. They were every bit as precise and analytical as they were with a good desktop rig, only they were lacking in bass power. I was bothered initially that the little amp was not terribly engaging, and the more I listened to it, the more I was convinced of that. Oh, it had moments of brilliance, especially up top, where it could render very sweet highs, with lots of sparkle and the proper decay, slightly better than the other two amps – but the rest of the spectrum was not so brilliant. It tended to sound rather distant, with recessed mids and polite bass. The dynamics it threw were somewhat compressed, almost reticent. It just didn't have a lot of balls. It was becoming obvious to me that the Tomahawk and the ER-4S were not a good match.

AMB Mini³

I have had this amp for almost a week, now. It is far from burned it, it only has perhaps five hours on it. I will admit right up front that I bought it to use with my SE530's, and with them it is not quite magic, but it is very close!

However, with the ER-4S, the Mini³ is a less than perfect mate. It was better than the Tomahawk in that regard, but only because it could push the Ety's to painful SPL's. It's sound was overall very similar to the Tomahawk's, but a little darker. It had delicate highs, but with less accuracy and decay, a little bright and spitty (that may improve with more time on the amp) – rolled off bass, but with a bit more authority – and mids that were more forward in the presentation.

It's strengths were in the mids and the image. The mids were big and in your face, and very accurate. The timbre was close to right on. It also had a lot of power, and could throw dynamics like a desktop piece or a distribution amp (watch your ears!). It's soundstage was another strength, especially in placement, very, very stable. It rivaled or even bettered the MiniBox there with a wide and spacious stage, with outstanding depth and solid, stable placement of the performers.

But, it lost me in the bass. I could hear all of it, but it was rolled off and at some points, just a suggestion. Impact was there, and percussion could sound very good, but the laid back upper bass and lack of lower registers was troublesome.

It bothered me, bothered me, in the highs. The more I listened, the less I could tolerate what I was hearing. It was slightly bright, and slightly tizzy, and on some of the brighter material I threw at it – painful! I had to turn it WAAAYYYY down to be able to get through the piece of music I was listening to.

So, like the Tomahawk, it did not pair well with the Ety's.

My Favorite?

The MiniBox E+. It had it all. It was engaging, involving, foot tappin', and fun! It could play more than loud enough and still give great dynamic range, and image was huge. Where it really won me over, though, was in the voice it gave to the ER-4S – wow. It allowed them to blossom. Big, strong, extended bass, sweet, clean highs, and the best mids I've ever heard the Ety's present. IMHO, I had never heard them (except in professional applications) sound SO good. I fell in love with that amp.

All of this is IMHO. Your mileage may vary!!!

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 14
Did you try the Tomahawk in the Medium (or even Lo) gain setting?

The Medium gain on my RSA SR-71A gives better sound with ER-4s than Hi - Hi is really for hard to drive cans not easy driven iems like the Etys.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 14
I hate to do this to you Sara but ... I TOLD YOU SO!
very_evil_smiley.gif
now for the "big kick in the behind"
wink.gif
get the AD8610 op-amps out and replace them w/ AD797 and get ready to be overwhelmed!
icon10.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to do this to you Sara but ... I TOLD YOU SO!
very_evil_smiley.gif
now for the "big kick in the behind"
wink.gif
get the AD8610 op-amps out and replace them w/ AD797 and get ready to be overwhelmed!
icon10.gif

Hey, Miguel, I don't mind eating crow!! I'll gladly admit "I was wrong", and that is part of the fun of all of this - being presented an opportunity to say "Huh...I did not know that..."
beyersmile.png

My dilemma is now this: I just bought an iRiver H140, yes, for the S/PDIF output. I wanted to buy DAC to use with it (and the SE530's), but now, that MiniBox has thrown me another wrinkle! I can't afford two new amps...
rolleyes.gif

There's the fun aspect to all of this: Trying To Decide!

~~~Sara

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you try the Tomahawk in the Medium (or even Lo) gain setting?

The Medium gain on my RSA SR-71A gives better sound with ER-4s than Hi - Hi is really for hard to drive cans not easy driven iems like the Etys.

I did. In the "Lo" setting, the level dropped to a point where the dynamics were just not there (I had to turn it all the way up). Admittedly, I just tried the setting, I didn't take the time to experiment.

Don't get me wrong. The Tomahawk is a gorgeous little amplifier, with sound to match. However, IMHO, with the ER-4S, the MiniBox E+ just plain sounded better...

~~~Sara

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Since you already have the H140 then you could consider the iBasso D10 w/ a TopKit by HiFlight. A few here use said combo and love it. I have owned teh D10 and it is a very nice sounding DAC/Amp combo, the only drawback is its larger size when going portable.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you already have the H140 then you could consider the iBasso D10 w/ a TopKit by HiFlight. A few here use said combo and love it. I have owned teh D10 and it is a very nice sounding DAC/Amp combo, the only drawback is its larger size when going portable.

Actually, Miguel, I am considering the D10, and also the Leckerton UHA-6S. Size isn't such a concern - I have a purse! The concerns I do have are twofold - which one would suit me better (they're very similar in feature set, their sound is the enigma), and which one would work with the ER-4S as well as that MiniBox E+ did.

It's a nice dilemma to be in!
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Oh, here's a little tidbit. The iRiver site says the refurbished H140 is "Sold Out". I emailed iRiver about that, and they told me they'd sell me one. Darned if they didn't! I have no idea how many they had on hand, but they came right back to me with an offer to let me have one. Which I now do!

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 14
Glad you liked them. Really, it's all Miguel' fault since he was the one that started me on the Minibox with the Etys. Should've told you to try Mahler's Ninth or the B Minor Mass--HUGE width and depth in the soundstage with both of these.

I don't use the Tomahawk with the Etys; the Minibox is matched and stays with Etys and the Tomahawk is for other headphones.

Glad you enjoyed them and let me know if you need anything else from Tennessee

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #10 of 14
Have you looked at / considered this new DAC/Amp? Also has optical in.

Linearoos W3

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you liked them. Really, it's all Miguel' fault since he was the one that started me on the Minibox with the Etys. Should've told you to try Mahler's Ninth or the B Minor Mass--HUGE width and depth in the soundstage with both of these.

I don't use the Tomahawk with the Etys; the Minibox is matched and stays with Etys and the Tomahawk is for other headphones.

Glad you enjoyed them and let me know if you need anything else from Tennessee

Hi, Mike!

Thank you! I hope everyone knows what nice people you and Miguel are! You went out of your way to send me your amplifiers, your property - to a total stranger! I so appreciated it.

You let me know if you need anything from California!

~~~~Sara

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you looked at / considered this new DAC/Amp? Also has optical in.

Linearoos W3

You know, I did. However, I don't think it's available yet. The purchase link doesn't work.

It looks suspiciously like an iBasso D10, doesn't it? Of course, the internals may be different, but it's similarity in appearance to the D10 makes me wonder if there is a connection between the company that markets it and iBasso. Not that that would be a bad thing!

Has anyone heard it?

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 14
It's due to be available in the next couple of days. It's manufactured by Rudistor in Singapore- no connection with iBasso in China; although perhaps they took some design cues from iBasso. I like that actually- means I can use my same optical cable for both the D10 (which I have) and the W3, if I do get it. Anyway it's supposed to be a clone of the NKK01se in terms of its sound... Didn't find much info about the NKK01se either though.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/l...34/index3.html

Also bear in mind that iBasso may be coming up with a new 'd' series amplifier soon. That's the one thing that kinda irritates me about iBasso. They have so many new products that it's so hard to keep track.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i.../index257.html

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's due to be available in the next couple of days. It's manufactured by Rudistor in Singapore- no connection with iBasso in China; although perhaps they took some design cues from iBasso. I like that actually- means I can use my same optical cable for both the D10 (which I have) and the W3, if I do get it. Anyway it's supposed to be a clone of the NKK01se in terms of its sound... Didn't find much info about the NKK01se either though.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/l...34/index3.html

Thanks for the link to that thread. It made for a good read! I think I'll bide my time and wait for a review of the W3. OMG, I do wish there was an easy way to demo these pieces. That's an age-old wish, I'm sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back