A tale of 2 IEM's (Montser Turbine Copper 1 vs Monster Turbine Copper 2) How different burnin techniques gave me two unique IEM's
Jul 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #78 of 179
The first file uses brown noise in a larger ratio that the white and pink noise. The theory is that this stresses the lower midrange and bass harder which then break in that part of the driver more (limbers it up more) before the driver gets to set, this then means the drivers is more capable of producing bass and lower midrange. So this file benefits any music requires that part of the sonic spectrum. I found it made Jazz immensly more enjoyable, hard rock like AC/DC and Led Zeppelin better, it helped with mail voices, and I also liked it more with accoustic and Celtic music.

The 2nd file uses more white and pink noise than brown noise so it stresses treble and upper midrange more and doesn't limber up the bass and lower midrange before the driver get to set. This file in theory will make the IEM less bassy and have less lower midrange so it makes the IEM more balanced. The music I like with the 1st pair of Copper's I had was some forms of rock where upper midrange and treble were important and any music that did not benefit from lower midrange and bass.

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #79 of 179
wow I really enjoyed reading this thread... quick question though would there be any difference in first putting my dba2 through the burn in even though there ba driver?

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #80 of 179
Honestly I have a BA headphone (SM3) and aside from the initial period where the cross overs burned in (and even there only very minimal changes) did I notice an change. Having said that it won't really hurt anything so you can give it a try and see for yourself.

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #81 of 179
Well it will be by memory vs A/B testing but I will get to do some more testing of the MTPC. Unfortunately one of the housings is starting to come apart at the seam so I am going to be sending these in for warranty
frown.gif
. I think I will try my brighter burnin file when I get these back as I am struggling with bass quantity with the current pair as I have become used to the SM3 signature. Plus I will get to see (from memory) if the brighter burnin file actually makes a difference.

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #82 of 179
Couple of things. Unit variation may be part of this as different runs of drivers or even different suppliers can vary. That said, I'm a firm believer in break in but generally it will lower the resonant point and show more low bass over time so this is interesting. Bodt seal or venting can also have a noticable effect on the bottom few octaves. Anyone who's ever masterered of done fine EQ on a good wav file can tell you that less than 1 db is audible in a mix even though 1 db is considered the threshold in general.

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #83 of 179
Copper bass does tame a bit w/ burn in, not vice versa.  Plus Dweaver measured new in box and post burn on the same driver, not really unit variation in that regard. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #84 of 179
I'm really trying to get more bass out of my coppers.

Somebody suggested looping a pure tone of 40Hz through the IEMs for a day or so. Then drop it down to 30Hz for another day. 

Will that work to give me stronger bass?

Thx

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #85 of 179

Not doubting his results but he is measuring 2 different phones here. I think you misread his op. Generally what happens with breakin is that the more noticable mid bass will become less apparent while the low bass picks ups a bit but it's not a law.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Copper bass does tame a bit w/ burn in, not vice versa.  Plus Dweaver measured new in box and post burn on the same driver, not really unit variation in that regard. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #86 of 179

Quote:
I'm really trying to get more bass out of my coppers.

Somebody suggested looping a pure tone of 40Hz through the IEMs for a day or so. Then drop it down to 30Hz for another day. 

Will that work to give me stronger bass?

Thx

Not likely at this point IMO.  But try it, they do like about 70 hours of burn in.  Usually the Bass tightens up though.  If you aren't using the gel tips, they give you the most bass by far.

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #87 of 179

Quote:
Not doubting his results but he is measuring 2 different phones here. I think you misread his op. Generally what happens with breakin is that the more noticable mid bass will become less apparent while the low bass picks ups a bit but it's not a law.
bigsmile_face.gif

It is not law, from my experience and others the Coppers bass tames over burn in regardless of what the common observation is w/ other phones.  I'm not talking about generalizations but the Coppers.  As for misreading the op, I did no such thing.  He measured 2 different phones yes but he also acknowledged hearing the effects of burn in from NIB to next day on the same phone.  That is what I was referring to w/ regard to model variance being the culprit.

Edit-It occurs to me I may have misinterpreted your post which is why my response didn't click w/ you.  Nevermind.  
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #88 of 179
blah, I can't decide whether to use the first burn-in file or not.  

Also, I'd like to burn them in on a lossless file, but I'm on a mac, and itunes won't play flac.  

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #89 of 179
itunes has its own lossless file.. but you should import it into that formant. Dowload vlc player and they will play flac, actually they will play almost anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back