A tale of 2 IEM's (Montser Turbine Copper 1 vs Monster Turbine Copper 2) How different burnin techniques gave me two unique IEM's
Jun 23, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #61 of 179
I sold the pair I bought because I prefered the darker sound of the second plus I agree the pair I was given should not be sold. Basically kingpage has nailed it though. I actually liked the warm sound of the IE8 and the M2, I just didn't want that warmth at the cost of the mids or the highs. So for me the MTPC2 really is the better IEM. Thats why it will be very interesting to see how I like the SM3 especially after listening almost exclusively to the MTPC2 for a couple of weeks. I will say this though, if the SM3 has any warmth to it (which I have read it does) and it is even more detailed than the MTPC I may be very happy with them. But until they arrive, it's all guessing.

What will also be intersting is whether I should use my burnin process on the SM3 or not. I know the BA's themselves will likely not change much if at all but I have read the crossovers get burned in, I'm just not sure if sound is what makes them change or just electrical current itself.

I guess I never gave a clear winner because I do feel they are both technichally great IEM's, they just do different things better.

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #62 of 179

Quote:
What will also be intersting is whether I should use my burnin process on the SM3 or not. I know the BA's themselves will likely not change much if at all but I have read the crossovers get burned in, I'm just not sure if sound is what makes them change or just electrical current itself.

Both IMO.  Armatures still move themselves in order to move air.  Seeing how much people rave about the full body and bass of the SM3's conpared to other BA's I imagine burn-in is definitely important.  Especially reading about how much they change over time from other comments.

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #63 of 179
Well I am gonna give them the treatment then
darthsmile.gif
. Albiet cautiously and after I have a listen in their virgin state LOL. I am not sure my makeshift testing setup will work with these due to their smaller sound tube but I may give that a try as well in regards to getting some set DB readings at specific Hz levels and through out the burnin process. I don't expect the burnin process to be as long or as altering as the MTPC were though.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #64 of 179
I haen't gone through the entire thread, but has it been shown that you can "burn in some more" a can that was burned in normally with your method, dweaver? That is, to give an old, already burnt-in can more bass with this method, or does it have to be done on a brand new HP?

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #65 of 179
I was unable to effectively change the sound my my original pair and another head-fi member tried using my file on his well used pair to no effect as well. A couple users said they had some change but I am not sure how old their IEM's were when they did the burnin.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #66 of 179
ok. I noticed 2rooi mentioned his MTPG improved after 3 days of burnin, and prior he had just 100 hours on his. I remember he bought his about 2months ago or so, so they are still pretty new.

Looks like we should burn in ASAP and not put it off. I just received my Golds today and have been burning them in with your original burn in file. As a basshead I hope to increase and improve the bass response. :)

Will let it burn overnight, and then play with them tomorrow then burn them in again.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #68 of 179
Yeah, out of the box it is not so bass monstery, it has lots of bass yes but not on the level of say the Hippo Boom or even the IE8.

Well anyway it's undergoing burn in now. :wink:

BTW if you ever feel like selling your MS400 let me know ok, please give me first dibs. I am very interested in that product even though I already have the MS300.

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #70 of 179

Quote:
Yeah, out of the box it is not so bass monstery, it has lots of bass yes but not on the level of say the Hippo Boom or even the IE8.

Well anyway it's undergoing burn in now. :wink:

BTW if you ever feel like selling your MS400 let me know ok, please give me first dibs. I am very interested in that product even though I already have the MS300.

I find the Black gel tips give the biggest Bass response, don't know if they fit you well though.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #71 of 179

Quote:
LOL I agree 100% about further testing of my hypothesis as well. I have uploaded a 256Kbps MP3 of my burnin song for anyone wanting to try it out. It can be found here, I am not sure if this service will block this file if it get's downloaded to much though, so please only download it if you plan to use it or want to study it.

If my theory is correct, this file would be helpfull for anyone wanting to stress the area of bass and midrange. For people wanting to stress the upper midrange I would think they woiuld want to double up the pink noise versus the brown noise, and for people wanting to increase the treble they would double up the whitenoise over the brown noise. But again this is all just theory. It's been fun playing around with it though and I really like the new Copper's ALOT.

Is my sound card screwed up? or is it supposed to sound like someone blowing in a microphone???

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #73 of 179

Quote:
Is it supposed to just sound like blowing in a microphone? (real question)

Yes Nick, it does sound like that.  If you open the file in Foobar and look at the spectrum, you'll see the frequencies being worked by the file.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #75 of 179

Quote:
Ok.

I'm getting my brand new Monster Coppers tomorrow.

Should I run this file through them? If so, what volume? Should I be stressing them? or just normal volume?

Just ramp em up from low, medium then 70-75% max volume over a few days.  Lets them have a a bit of a rest between sessions.  Just don't play noisy, poor quality stuff at high volumes that will distort or clip.  That can cause damage.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back