A sub-$100 over ear headphone for rock?
Jun 25, 2010 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Caesis

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of over the ear headphones for trips and such. I like the look Grados, but I am reading from a few that they can be uncomfortable for wearing around the neck or even on your ears for more than a half hour (Are they?)

Needs to be:

- Comfortable to wear for extended periods of time (I have "normal" sized ears.)
- Not too flashy
- Good for Classic Rock

It'd be nice if it folded up or had a case or something for storage.

Thank you for your time
- Cae

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 9
Grados comfort is very subjective. I find them very comfortable due to how light they are. The KSC75 is very portable, on-ear, but sound good and only ~$20.

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 9
Grado comfort does seem to vary greatly person to person, and keep in mind that the sub-$100 Grados come with the "comfies" and not the bowl pads that people tend to have more trouble with (and many other people still do just fine with). Most of the time, comfort problems can be easily fixed by bending the headband to relieve pressure. And there's always the Sennheiser 414 pads. I would, however, keep something else in mind. Grado cans are open, and leak like nobody's business. If you plan on using them for trips, anyone immediately near you will be able to hear the music, and you'll be able to hear most external noises. Whether or not that's a problem depends on the situation and your opinion.

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 9
I am forced to once again recommend the DBI Pro 700s from ebay.

Strong bass, aggressive signature, clear mids, not too much soundstage for rock...  They're a bit liked closed, bassier Grados with attitude.  Plus they drive pretty well from portable players to boot.

They are also not too flashy, and don't need to fold up, because they're virtually indestructible.  

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 9
I would also recommend the Grados. They are certainly not too Flashy, but not ugly either. You'd be hard pushed to found anything as good for rock under $100 and as for comfort, i think trying one on would solve the problem, but I think the people that have comfort issues are a minority.

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 9
I would go for the grados, SR-80i is within your budget, at first they are uncomfortable, but i got used to my grados and can wear them for hours.

You just have to adjust to them and after that it is no big deal.

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Gradossandros within that pricerange

Users who are viewing this thread

Back