A Shure Shootout! SRH-940 vs SRH-1440 vs SRH-1840
Jun 23, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #136 of 196
Yup, I can't handle anything really bassy any more. I need the bass to be present but not bombastic or over the top.

One thing about these headphones is they have KILLED almost all of my enjoyment of my current IEM's. I have been depsrately trying to find an IEM I like ever since I bought these. My latest attempt is a pair of JVC FXD80. If they are similar sounding I will be certain to post something here and to a few people privately. If not I am going to have to stick just using my Ety HF3 as they are at least close to the SRH-1440 in the mids and to a smaller degree the treble, unfortunately not in the bass and certainly not in the sound stage.

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #138 of 196
Quote:
yes.  this happens to me as well.

i still own the 840, and love it.
but, if i reach for it directly after hearing one of my more neutral cans such as the 1840, it seems a little dark, bloated...

still, for the $150 i paid for the SRH840, it is just fabulous.

Agreed. Very good price considering the M50 is now it's direct competitor. Great sound for the money too.

Quote:
Yup, I can't handle anything really bassy any more. I need the bass to be present but not bombastic or over the top.

One thing about these headphones is they have KILLED almost all of my enjoyment of my current IEM's. I have been depsrately trying to find an IEM I like ever since I bought these. My latest attempt is a pair of JVC FXD80. If they are similar sounding I will be certain to post something here and to a few people privately. If not I am going to have to stick just using my Ety HF3 as they are at least close to the SRH-1440 in the mids and to a smaller degree the treble, unfortunately not in the bass and certainly not in the sound stage.

Yeah, me either. HD600 and Q701 is about where I'm drawing the line.

I could say the exact same thing regarding my latest few (and favorite) full sized headphones in general. It's simply becoming too much of a chore to go back to IEMs. Even some of the newer, higher-end ones I got recently (W2, W3). But I personally think nothing in the IEM world can match what the SRH1440 can do. Heck, I can't even find a full sized that can match it! One of these days, I need to buy it again...

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #139 of 196
I got a pretty good quote of $570 on the SRH1840. I currently have the SRH940 and love them. My problem with the SRH940 is that a hairline crack is growing on the part covering the extender above the right pad. I'm sending them back to Shure to be replaced. Should I be concerned about build quality on the SRH1840 & SRH1440?

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #140 of 196
Build quality on the SRH1840 at least seems superb! (I didn't have it a long time so cannot say for sure). It does feel WAY better than the plasticky 940s! 1440s... not sure.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #141 of 196
I think the 1840 will last darn near for ever, very well built. The 1440 I am note as sure about. I love my pair but they are a bit looser feeling than when I bought them. Not sure if that means they will fall a part or anything that dramatic but they are definitely not as solid as the 1840. The price of $570 is very good for the 1840.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #142 of 196
I just got off the phone with Shure and was told they received my SRH940 and it should get back to me in 5 business days. This was a one time replacement. If it happens again, you'll have to order a replacement headband. The model # is RPH 940 and cost 30 - 50 bucks (short term memory loss).

I also passed on the SRH1840. I got a great deal on a pair HD650s off of craigslist.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #143 of 196
Are the velour pads on the 940, 1440, and 1840 all the same or different? When I went looking on Amazon all the pads have individual replacement part numbers. I'm looking to buy one velour set to try on the 840's. I've heard bad things about sound changing, but the temptation of extra comfort is too much. I hope to be able to mod them to maintain the 840 sound.

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #145 of 196
I just got a good deal on an open box 1440 for $300. Have had these for a day, and they are absolutely killer. Why anyone would spend more when you can get this kind of sound for such a reasonable price is a mystery to me. They do benefit highly from righteous amplification and source. I'm presently listening to Keith Jarrett, Bremen concert on vinyl. VPI Scout with Ortofon 2M Black, through a CJ PV_15 pre, and the EPL out so I can bypass its volume control and feed directly to my JWN 6V6 push-pull combo head/speaker amp, hand built by Jim Nicholls. 15 watts per channel.  Coming from the Grado RS2i these Shures are a step up, and they rival the Beyer T1 I auditioned last week. I appreciate the level of clarity and detail in the upper register, without the associated harshness that I would sometimes get on the Grados, especially when listening to hard rock. Haven't yet listened to anything I would consider harsh. The mids are lush and expansive, and the bass is satisfying and quite detailed in its own right. These headphones deserve a wider audience.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #146 of 196
Quote:
Katun; how are you liking the 1440 now?

rhiga; I don't find the 1440 to be sibilant but I don't listen to mine very loud so can not comment what it would be like at louder volumes.

Brainfood; I looked at the tube amp I am using and it is an Indeed amp.

Still loving all 3 of these headphones. I am actually almost at the point of stopping using IEM's because I can not find anything that sounds even remotely as good as these headphones and I am unwilling to gamble hundreds of dollars on new high end IEM's in my pursuit of this type of sound.

I echo your point on iems. I've had my HD600 for about a week and went back to the EX1000 for a listen and there's no comparison. The full sized phone is much more enjoyable. In fact, I plan on selling at least one iem and getting a closed full sized can. Maybe the SRH940 (bass might be too light?) or HD-25? 

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #147 of 196
Quote:
I just got a good deal on an open box 1440 for $300. Have had these for a day, and they are absolutely killer. Why anyone would spend more when you can get this kind of sound for such a reasonable price is a mystery to me. They do benefit highly from righteous amplification and source. I'm presently listening to Keith Jarrett, Bremen concert on vinyl. VPI Scout with Ortofon 2M Black, through a CJ PV_15 pre, and the EPL out so I can bypass its volume control and feed directly to my JWN 6V6 push-pull combo head/speaker amp, hand built by Jim Nicholls. 15 watts per channel.  Coming from the Grado RS2i these Shures are a step up, and they rival the Beyer T1 I auditioned last week. I appreciate the level of clarity and detail in the upper register, without the associated harshness that I would sometimes get on the Grados, especially when listening to hard rock. Haven't yet listened to anything I would consider harsh. The mids are lush and expansive, and the bass is satisfying and quite detailed in its own right. These headphones deserve a wider audience.

How do the 1440 compare to the DT880?

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #150 of 196
LOL you guys should see the look on peoples faces when i use the 1840's on the train and "share" my music with the LOL !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back