A short (audiophile) guide to Winamp (/w Maiko WASAPI)
Dec 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #31 of 125
Winamp crashes here after playing FLAC and then switching to MP3. It's strange, it doesn't happen if I just switch back and forth, but if I play say an entire album in FLAC and then attempt to start an MP3, it crashes. Everything is set up as in the first post. Using the newest version of Winamp and Win7 x64. Any ideas?

Edit: Just crashed when pressing stop on a FLAC file. Here's the Windows error report:

Quote:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: winamp.exe
Application Version: 5.6.3.3235
Application Timestamp: 4fec7b3e
Fault Module Name: out_maiko.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 50698d32
Exception Code: c0000095
Exception Offset: 000058e2
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e78

Edit 2: I found some threads at the maiko forums and apparently this is a somewhat known error with no solution yet. Bummer!

http://maiko.elementfx.com/forum/index.php?topic=36.0
http://maiko.elementfx.com/forum/index.php?topic=30.0

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #32 of 125
Yes. I've heard that uninstaling winamp, and then reinstall it with no other plugin will maybe fix it, but I can't be sure. I only play FLACs so I haven't had the problem though.

The maiko wasapi is made by one guy, so it's not perfect. But it's getting there!

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #33 of 125
Weird, I have the latest version of Winamp and I have no problems with crashing.
The developer of Maiko has said on Winamp forums to not use any other Output / Input plugin than the default ones that come with it.

A fresh reinstall should fix it up.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #35 of 125
Thank you very much for the WASAPI output plugin, it's very keep and intuitive and will keep us busy. The EQ plugin is much better than the default winamp graphic equalizer, and it has really flattened out my headphones with only a little bit of fiddling after looking at a response graph.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #36 of 125
I've been reading your interesting / controversial / documented / passionate conversations on various subjects for 3 days now and I've learned much more since than during the past 10 years...
I had to publish my first comment somewhere and I've chosen this thread...
... to thank BleaK for sharing these useful informations with all of us
... and to testify that switching from my good old winamp 2.81 to the latest light version (5.63) + Maiko WASAPI @24bit dramatically changed (improved !) my audio experience.

Everything is now much more vivid, punchy, louder and it has greatly increased the soundscape, even on my low budget equipment (Sennheiser HD 200 plugged in my Realtek HD)...

I'll soon upgrade my gear to some more exciting stuffs and this awesome Winamp trick made me even more eager to do so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #37 of 125
Quote:
Thank you very much for the WASAPI output plugin, it's very keep and intuitive and will keep us busy. The EQ plugin is much better than the default winamp graphic equalizer, and it has really flattened out my headphones with only a little bit of fiddling after looking at a response graph.

You're welcome! The EQ was implemented after I made this thread. I haven't had time to tinker with it yet, but it one of a very few plugins (and music-softwares for that matter) that have both wasapi and an EQ setting.

Quote:
I've been reading your interesting / controversial / documented / passionate conversations on various subjects for 3 days now and I've learned much more since than during the past 10 years...
... and to testify that switching from my good old winamp 2.81 to the latest light version (5.63) + Maiko WASAPI @24bit dramatically changed (improved !) my audio experience.

Everything is now much more vivid, punchy, louder and it has greatly increased the soundscape, even on my low budget equipment (Sennheiser HD 200 plugged in my Realtek HD)...

I'll soon upgrade my gear to some more exciting stuffs and this awesome Winamp trick made me even more eager to do so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers! That's why we do all of this stuff in the end, it's all for the music
L3000.gif
Implementing and using maiko wasapi was also one of the first audiorelated upgrade I did. After that I started re-ripping my CDs to FLAC, the differences were huge!
From there it went all downhill (for my wallet)
wink_face.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #38 of 125

I'll soon upgrade my gear to some more exciting stuffs and this awesome Winamp trick made me even more eager to do so. :)

I'm with you.

Once I did this, I noticed a big enough difference to say it changed my music for the better in a noticeable way (Using HE-400's).

I never knew that windows even down sampled everything *Sigh* One of the best free things that improved my Audio experience.

I've actually set it up for all my friends now. One refused so I secretly did it when he was't looking ^_^

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #39 of 125
Quote:
I'm with you.
Once I did this, I noticed a big enough difference to say it changed my music for the better in a noticeable way (Using HE-400's).
I never knew that windows even down sampled everything *Sigh* One of the best free things that improved my Audio experience.
I've actually set it up for all my friends now. One refused so I secretly did it when he was't looking ^_^

Haha! Very nice! Bet your friend was like: "Bboy500! Why is my music sounding better?! Screw you, I want my itunes with 128kbps songs back RIGHT NOW!"
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #42 of 125
Another thing I've noticed while using Winamp is that it seems to be sending out 96KHz (which is the max my DAC can receive over USB) all the time, while players like Foobar outputs whatever the track is encoded in (44,1KHz 99% of the time). I'm not sure if this has any possible effect on the sound, but is there a way to make Winamp behave the same way as Foobar? Mostly because I like seeing the display on my DAC change, haha.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #43 of 125
Another thing I've noticed while using Winamp is that it seems to be sending out 96KHz (which is the max my DAC can receive over USB) all the time, while players like Foobar outputs whatever the track is encoded in (44,1KHz 99% of the time). I'm not sure if this has any possible effect on the sound, but is there a way to make Winamp behave the same way as Foobar? Mostly because I like seeing the display on my DAC change, haha.

yeah there is, but you have to use the exlusive mode.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #44 of 125
Quote:
yeah there is, but you have to use the exlusive mode.

Yes, I figured this out a while ago. It seems the general crashing while using WASAPI with Winamp got fixed when I bought a new DAC. I've been testing for a while and it seems stable as long as I do not tick "slave to input sample rate ..." in the options. This will make Winamp extremely unstable and make it crash frequently. 

Are there any real audible advantages of sending the "real" sampling rate to the DAC opposed to just sending 96KHz all the time? I've tried searching but  I can't find anything relevant. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #45 of 125
Quote:
Yes, I figured this out a while ago. It seems the general crashing while using WASAPI with Winamp got fixed when I bought a new DAC. I've been testing for a while and it seems stable as long as I do not tick "slave to input sample rate ..." in the options. This will make Winamp extremely unstable and make it crash frequently. 

Are there any real audible advantages of sending the "real" sampling rate to the DAC opposed to just sending 96KHz all the time? I've tried searching but  I can't find anything relevant. 

As far I know, there is no audible benefit other then control of your bits and bytes. Maybe a very high end DAC would have a benefit from this, but I doubt it. I have no expertise in this field (upsampling etc.), but try to go back and forth and see if you hear any difference. I didn't hear any differenece so I'll just stuck it at shared mode
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back