A short (audiophile) guide to Winamp (/w Maiko WASAPI)
Jan 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #46 of 125
I've installed the plugin, and when I try to play any file, it plays the first split second and then stops. The app doesn't crash or anything, it just stops playing after <1 second. I can always double-click on the track again with the same result.
I just uninstalled Winamp, made sure its folder no longer existed, downloaded it from winamp.com, reinstalled it, then reinstalled this Maiko plugin, same result.
Note I typically remove a bunch of useless things from my Winamp install, but I shouldn't think it would cause a problem. Am I doing something wrong? :) I have to say that first split second of playback sounds really nice compared to the default DirectSound plugin!

Edit: I tried enabling Maiko's exclusive mode. Result: instead of playing for <1 second and stopping, it plays the same <1 second of the file in a loop.
I also checked the option in the settings that tell Maiko to release the device from exclusive mode and reclaim it when needed, and it worked. Then I set Winamp back to using DirectSound just to compare the sound, then set it back to Maiko (same settings -- exclusive + release when not needed) and it's broken again :frowning2:

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #47 of 125
Quote:
I've installed the plugin, and when I try to play any file, it plays the first split second and then stops. The app doesn't crash or anything, it just stops playing after <1 second. I can always double-click on the track again with the same result.
I just uninstalled Winamp, made sure its folder no longer existed, downloaded it from winamp.com, reinstalled it, then reinstalled this Maiko plugin, same result.
Note I typically remove a bunch of useless things from my Winamp install, but I shouldn't think it would cause a problem. Am I doing something wrong? :) I have to say that first split second of playback sounds really nice compared to the default DirectSound plugin!

Edit: I tried enabling Maiko's exclusive mode. Result: instead of playing for <1 second and stopping, it plays the same <1 second of the file in a loop.
I also checked the option in the settings that tell Maiko to release the device from exclusive mode and reclaim it when needed, and it worked. Then I set Winamp back to using DirectSound just to compare the sound, then set it back to Maiko (same settings -- exclusive + release when not needed) and it's broken again :frowning2:

When you install winamp, try not to remove "the useless things" from it. I don't know but there might be something that let's the plugin play. Also make sure you have not ticked of the plugins that lets you play the audio codecs (like mp3, flac etc.).

Also, what is your OS? This plugin only works (as far as I know) only on Vista, Windows 7 & 8.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #51 of 125
Quote:
Just using my X-Fi Titanium HD, playing MP3s and FLACs, nothing out of the ordinary.

Aha, see this:

Quote:
sorry to bother,
as I noticed from the screenshot "Creative xFi", are you using a xfi soundcard?

because you should know that xfi doesn`t support wasapi for bit perfect playback, it has been discussed a lot at HeadFi, 
you should use ASIO,

Quote:
No I don't have Creative xFi, that screenshot is taken by the author of the plugin used as only demonstration :)

Your problem is that X-FI soundcard doesn't support wasapi. I think this is a rare occurence in soundcards, none the less unfortunate.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #52 of 125
Oh. Well that's stupid
frown.gif

Thanks for pointing it out though.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #53 of 125

I had the same problem with my DAC..no sound with Maiko at all except for a fraction of a second..fixed by checking in Maiko configuration "slave to input sample rate when enabled resmple to rate when disabled,hz" Give it a try

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #54 of 125
Quote:

It happened to me too on my Windows 7 x64. It's a buffer issue ; you can fix it in the plugin settings (client buffer size in milliseconds / client invalidate & reload / genuine latency formula).
Try to raise the buffer to let's say 400 or 500 ms (for a start) and click client invalidate & reload. Then try lower values or even 0 (auto buffer). Click client invalidate & reload each time you enter a new value.

BTW my soundcard default settings (Windows) are 24bit / 44KHz.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #55 of 125
Thanks to the OP! Great step by step tutorial.
Quote:
It doesn't play my song after I do this.
They play for about half a second and stop.
Any help?
Edit: Fixed it. had to change my audio settings to 24/96 in windows.....
but now I have a new problem. the songs now skip for about .1 seconds in random places throughout the entire song. All my songs are doing this. Any fix for this?
Edit: Fixed again. Had to turn my power options into "High Performance"
Hopefully if anyone has any problems with the above they'll read this.

And thanks to you too, fixed the issues that I was having!

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #56 of 125
Quote:
Oh. Well that's stupid
frown.gif

Thanks for pointing it out though.

Yeah I know, sorry about that mate :/

Quote:

It happened to me too on my Windows 7 x64. It's a buffer issue ; you can fix it in the plugin settings (client buffer size in milliseconds / client invalidate & reload / genuine latency formula).
Try to raise the buffer to let's say 400 or 500 ms (for a start) and click client invalidate & reload. Then try lower values or even 0 (auto buffer). Click client invalidate & reload each time you enter a new value.

A great tip right here!

Quote:
Thanks to the OP! Great step by step tutorial.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #57 of 125
Quote:

Messing with the buffer setting fixed it for me, thanks so much!

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #59 of 125
Thanks a bunch for your guide.  I downloaded both components last night (Winamp and the mentioned Winaspi driver), but ended up staying up too late to configure it.  Thanks to your guide, it took me less than 5 minutes to get it up and running.  Thank you!

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #60 of 125
Quote:
Thanks a bunch for your guide.  I downloaded both components last night (Winamp and the mentioned Winaspi driver), but ended up staying up too late to configure it.  Thanks to your guide, it took me less than 5 minutes to get it up and running.  Thank you!

Thank you for your kind words!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back