A salesperson at a music store told me bose is the best thing out there.
Sep 17, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #19 of 29
Bose actually have the most effective noise cancelling system in their headphones and the "rich business men" wear them on their long flights from NA. So in this case, buying a pair of QC actually makes some sense (atleast for the people who don't like IEMs). Their other products...eh. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #20 of 29
Marketing.

A friend told me he went to Best Buy and he asked an employee what are the best earphones/headphones they sell and the employee said, "they all suck."

lol
(a long time ago)

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 29
I am responding to this thread, but only to say that I don't care a whit for this sort of thing. Who cares what a salesman said? Another salesman will wholeheartedly recommend Ford or Ferrari, or Trek, or Playboy - every market has its 'big' brands and every brand has its heroes. For some people, there isn't a better headphone out there but Bose. Hands-down, it is the easiest to find and one of the best for its target market: sound cancelling. The rest? Who cares. Getting stuffed up over some bloke's good or bad taste is sooo old at Headfi and twice as annoying.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
Oh wow. How did the guy get a job again? Honestly, you let him try the SM3 right?

in a matter of fact I was going there to find out how much they would be at the store so I don't have them yet
rolleyes.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #25 of 29

Quote:
I trust salespeople less than I trust politicians.
They recommend what gives them most commission.

Agreed. Salespeople are only useful for getting stuff for you from high shelves.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #26 of 29

Quote:
Agreed. Salespeople are only useful for getting stuff for you from high shelves.

While this may be true in most cases, please don't generalize to the point of saying all.

Part of my job is selling violins (and other instruments) with their assorted accessories. Of course paying more has a higher chance of getting a better sound, but I try to find the best match for the customer's preferences while keeping them safely in their budget. Just yesterday I had a customer with a $3000 budget come in. They were needing a bow and violin. They ended up walking out the door with the best match for them for only $1800. We looked as high as 3500, but they weren't the right sound.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #28 of 29
I worked at best buy a few years ago and was pretty astounded at the lack of knowledge of all the pc sales people there.  You are kind of pushed to sell the antivirus software thats so expensive that nobody ever wants, but they dont realize there are freewares that do a much better job than those.

same thing with headphones, whatever your boss says to hype, you hype it up like no tomorrow.  

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #29 of 29

Quote:
While this may be true in most cases, please don't generalize to the point of saying all.

Part of my job is selling violins (and other instruments) with their assorted accessories. Of course paying more has a higher chance of getting a better sound, but I try to find the best match for the customer's preferences while keeping them safely in their budget. Just yesterday I had a customer with a $3000 budget come in. They were needing a bow and violin. They ended up walking out the door with the best match for them for only $1800. We looked as high as 3500, but they weren't the right sound.

Instruments are a whole different kettle of fish tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back