A review of X-Feed (Standalone crossfeed)
Apr 23, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #61 of 165
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
As always, the left channel is black and the right channel is red. Your interconnects should be colour coded so connect red to red and black to black and everything should be ok :)

Please let me know how the X-Feed sounds once you've had an opportunity to listen to it Uncledan.

Pinkie.

Alright, I will review the X-Feed after I get my Gilmore amp. But I still waiting for the amp to arrive.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #64 of 165
Quote:

The only explanation I give is: "it works"

It certainly does seem to work. I've been hesitant to post my impressions since my interconnects are still breaking in.

I'll just say that in general when I listen with X-Feed it feels more like a live event than reproduced music. What I mean is, it is easier for me to imagine that the performers are in the same room with me. Now bear in mind that all of my upgrades over the past few months have contributed to this as well; X-Feed is simply another step toward my goal.

X-Feed seems to give instruments better placement in the soundstage. One odd thing I did notice is a sort of echo that I had not heard before. Serra Ona Noche is a kind of a reference disc for me. It was recorded in an old chapel and the soundstage is phenomenal. A solo woodwind opens track 2. It is panned far left and without X-Feed I don't recall hearing any kind of echo. When I listened last night there seemed to be a little bit of echo in the right channel. Since it is slight I can't be certain it isn't in the recording and I just didn't hear it before.

Obviously, I need to do more listening. But, so far so good. The proof-in-the-pudding, so to speak, will likely turn out to be listening to it for several weeks and then taking it out and see if I miss it.

May 2, 2003 at 12:49 PM Post #65 of 165
Thought I'd give this thread a bump and post some very preliminary impressions since Mike so graciously suggested it.

For the interim I've had to slap another 1M run of these cheap, high-capacitance interconnects in the chain, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

But I will say that I like the X-Feed's crossfeed effect. It subtly fills in the gaps between those clusters of sounds outside the ears and in the forehead resulting in a more realistic image. And when I say subtle I mean it. When I first put it in the loop and played a song with an intro of acoustic guitar playing soley in the left channel I had a hard time discerning a difference. Soon thereafter when the rest of the band joined in it became clear - the black holes that formerly resided by my temples were now part of the acoustic space of the performance.

Now I was never one to be classify myself among those that gets fatigued by headphone listeing, but I have felt the stress on occasion, and the weird imaging is oft-present. The X-Feed nearly clears this all up. I say nearly, as there's still that odd sensation of an instrument playing behind an ear on some albums, and if you find extreme stereo separation an uncomfortable thing, you may be left wanting for a higher degree of crossfeed, as the X-Feed isn't going to dramatically reduce it.

As for the effect it has tonally, there is no alteration of the frequency response whatsoever. There is, however a slight thickening of the sound, but it may very well be attributed to these interconnects I'm using. Some soundstage height and air is lost as a result, but again it could be the additional crummy cables and not the X-Feed's doing.

Overall I'm pleased with it and anxious to hear it do its thing in a more ideal configuration.

May 4, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #68 of 165
Quote:

Edited

re-edited!

May 11, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #70 of 165
Just a quick impression of the X Feed as it sits in my rig as processed by my old ears and brain.

It's good!!!!!

The Xfeed sits between a Philips 963 and a MAD Ear+ and Etymotic ER4S or JVC HA DX3 (more JVC recently). Have not done extensive testing. Have not swapped out the X Feed repeatedly to attempt to articulate the impact of this device. Instead, I've mainly plugged it in and listened....

Oh, sure, I swapped it in and out a few times after it first arrived. But a funny thing happened.... I became less concerned about finding out what exactly the differences were and instead just focused on the music. The sound is such that I don't really want to spend the time to swap cables, I just want to enjoy the music. Can't think of a better way to describe the impact on my system to my ears.

Thanks Mike!

Bruce

May 17, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #74 of 165
Sera Una Noche was produced by MA Recordings. You can find specific information about each of their recordings by clicking on the link.

I own several of their CDs. They all contain gorgeous music, well recorded.

I've sold my MG Head to upgrade to either the RKV, Emmeline HR-2, or Gilmore V2SE. So, I will not will be able to provide more observations until I get a new amp. But, I will certainly try to remember to post my thoughts about X-Feed and whatever new amp I purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back