A review of X-Feed (Standalone crossfeed)
Mar 6, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 165
Some extra comments, which I wrote as a reply to a PM,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried the x-feed with pop/rock, classical and jazz.

One thing none of them lacked with the x-feed is bass. I couldn't notice any drop off. I find no thinning or lessening of the signal using the x-feed and don't normally have to alter the volume after adding the x-feed.

Just to point out there is no switch to by pass the x-feed.

One other point of note: these listening tests were done using a better amp, namely Aos’s Sostenuto and the HD580.

On classical music: On music with 1 to 10 instruments I think the x-feed sounds great and removes headphone fatigue without spoiling the music. With more instruments (orchestras) sometimes I feel it get a little crowded. I felt this most with Beethoven's 9th which has a lot going on. I think most amps and headphones would struggle with Beethoven's 9th even without the addition on a crossfeed, I know mind do. Also on choral music I found the voices didn't quite standout as they use too.

Pop/Rock: Most of the pieces I listen to sounded fine with the x-feed. I felt it fell down more with bands like The Doves which is rhythmically driven music which needs separation between the drum, bass and guitars to get the full effect, with the x-feed it just started to get a bit muddied which started to covered the vocals .

Jazz: Well I did enjoy listening to the x-feed with jazz, but the sound it different compared to when the x-feed is not used. Jazz I personally think needs separation of the instruments to hear it at its best. When using the x-feed you just missed some of the minute details. But again you are able to enjoy it for longer.

Personally I leave the x-feed in for most music and find I more inclined to remove it for particular albums (which is not often) not genres.

I feel you will either leave it in all the time or only plug it in on particular albums that have extreme stereo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark

Mar 6, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #22 of 165
Hi Pinkie,

Regarding the X-Feed bass issue. Perhaps it was the music I was listening to at the time but I feel the bass aspect of the performance is OK. Maybe not as enriched as the Meier version but more than satisfying. I'm totally satisfied with the unit & I would be pleasantly surprised if headphone listening gets much better than this. Maybe the Hart Williams amp will improve things but I'm not too sure. My set up at the moment sounds fabulous.

Mar 8, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #24 of 165
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
Interesting! Are there plans for an enhanced-bass version?

i've been using a HeadRoom Home for sometime, and it has a switch to boost treble. been no mention of reduced treble when using this X-Feed. is this circuit materially different from the one built by HeadRoom?

Mar 21, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #30 of 165
I just received my x-feed from pinkfloyd today...... along with my new cardas replacement cable.... the two together after just a few minutes trial are heaven on earth.( I couldn't resist trying them as soon as they arrived... even though I was late for work) My initial impressions are that this little device is great! I can easily see how earlier posts state that they can now listen for hours. It made one particular recording by Livingston Tayor that was impossible to listen to before on cans is now very enjoyable.

I will post a more complete review in a few days after I have everything burned in..... but for now, my opinion is that this is worth every cent! Thanks Pinkfloyd!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back