A Review of The Sennheiser HD-650's - Oh So Nice!
Sep 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 21
Nice review. Just wait until they burn in, it gets even better.
regular_smile%20.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
I've never heard the PX100's but I feel the same way now with my TMA-1's. Sure, the HD650's are a better headphone than the TMA-1's, but they are not hundreds of dollars better. The reason I say hundreds is because the HD650's require decent amplification, while my $159 TMA-1's sound very similar and get crazy loud just with an iPod or iPhone.  

Remember the law of diminishing returns always tends to apply. Some people pay thousands of dollars to hear somebody "coughing or opening a bag of chips in the third row" (quoted from the famous grado modder)

I'm assuming since you returned your 650 so soon that you probably never tried after market cables on your 650's and i can tell you that a $100 blue dragon cable opens up the detail much further.

Plus, the HD 650 scales with some of the best amplifiers in the world, and if you think the margin between the hd 650 and the px100 or tma is too narrow, think about how many people talk about how they prefer the hd 650 ($300 sp) to the hd 800, with that headphone being $1,300 street price, and $1900 msrp if you are silly enough to buy straight from sennheiser.

On top of that, comfort and feel becomes a bigger and bigger issue as things start to travel on into the long term, and the hd 650s are very comfortable and immersive. 

I still think that even if the sound quality is marginal at first, its only because you arent feeding them right. Hd 650 is a headphone that will eat and eat and eat all of your source and power until you give it a big enough meal to to it justice. Plug this baby into a red wine audio or expensive tube amp and you will be surprised at what comes out.

That is what the hd 650 is famous for.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
Nice review, but I think my Senn PX100's must have spoiled me or something because I just got my HD 650's in the mail today and I am returning them. They just aren't THAT much better then these little rinky dink PX100's that I bought a long time ago...The HD 650's are $350 headphones that required me to buy a Fiio E9 just to properly power, and my PX100's are DAMN close to matching the sound quality of the 650's. I mean so close, that I got depressed on how much I had spent on the 650's+Amp. I sat at my computer for an hour or more listening to everything I had, all kinds of music, switching between the PX100 and the 650's, and its just sad how close they are. (Amazing if you just bought the PX100's though). The sound signatures are soooo similar.

Could it be down to what you listen to? Even top-tier headphones aren't going to magically make a low-fidelity source better. Garbage in, garbage out. I don't want to generalize but this is especially true in the case of most music played on the radio. The trend has been to emphasize loudness over dynamic range. It hurts definition, and makes recordings sound very one-dimensional.

I originally started with the HD202s, moved to the 555, and then HD650. Noticed a huge jump in presentation and overall detail between all of them. I will say, though, once you start hitting the $250-300 mark, diminishing returns start to kick in.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #19 of 21
i love my hd 650s, will rebuy them very soon as the ones i have right now aren't in very good shape anymore ( will sell them soon).

the sound is a little too laid back on some songs and the hd 650s isn't super detailed like the grado or akgs, however, the warmth and smoothness and amazing bass response as well as generally well balanced sound makes them great for almost any genre of music.

i have yet to find a headphone in its price range that can beat it, i keep going back to the hd 650s nice warm sound. with a semi-bright source, they really open up and the detail comes out quite nicely while maintaining that nice laid-back sennheiser sound, they are also the least fatiguing headphones i've heard, the highs are very mellow and never harsh.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
Nice review, but I think my Senn PX100's must have spoiled me or something because I just got my HD 650's in the mail today and I am returning them. They just aren't THAT much better then these little rinky dink PX100's that I bought a long time ago...The HD 650's are $350 headphones that required me to buy a Fiio E9 just to properly power, and my PX100's are DAMN close to matching the sound quality of the 650's. I mean so close, that I got depressed on how much I had spent on the 650's+Amp. I sat at my computer for an hour or more listening to everything I had, all kinds of music, switching between the PX100 and the 650's, and its just sad how close they are. (Amazing if you just bought the PX100's though). The sound signatures are soooo similar.

This is pretty much true of all headphones though. The SR-60 is another good example of this.

I'd generally agree with you, although I think you understate the differences a little. I am completely satisfied with the sound of my PX100s but I find them uncomfortable for long listening. I bought the 650s hoping for the same sound and better comfort. For me that was worth the extra money. The bass is definitely better, and there is alot more detail available, but the balance and sound signature remains almost identical. For me that's just bonus though, I think its definitely in last 10% territory. I don't regret the purchase at all. I haven't bought any headphones for years.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #21 of 21

Quote:

I just compared frequency response of the 100 and 650 and, though not identical, there are certainly more similarities than differences. Remarkable. I have not heard the PX100 but would imagine a similar sound signature if a little bit less smooth and extended.

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back