A Review of The Sennheiser HD-650's - Oh So Nice!
Sep 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]The last 7 days have been fairly expensive for me! Last week I bought the TTVJ Slim portable headphone amp, and this week I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-650’s.  I’ve done some reviews before, but I figure it’s time to put my best effort forward, and pass along some thoughts in hopes of helping other people, as I myself have been helped here.[/size]

[size=medium]Packaging:[/size]
[size=medium]The Senn’s came in a very nice package, inside of which was a hinged box, maybe wooden, that cradled the phones very nicely. The box is a keeper, for sure.  The box contained the phones, of course, as well as a 6 inch adapter cable, with a quarter inch female to 3.5 mm male connector for use with portable DAP’s. Thank you Sennheiser! It really sucks to spend so much only to find that a vital piece was skimped on. [/size]

[size=medium]Build Quality:[/size]
[size=medium]These hp’s are fairly light, but seem to be well built. I like the cable on the phones much better than the one on my Grado’s. The Grado cord was like a round AC power cord, but these are more like a 16 gauge lamp cord, splitting into a “Y” just above the sternum when wearing the phones.  Best of all, the cable is easily replaceable, as it connects to each of the left and right cans with a two prong male plug. It is in there nice and solid, so I’m not worried that is might somehow get disconnected.  I’m very aware of how I handle everything, especially electronics, and I’m sure these phones will last for years and years, even if I were to handle them roughly on occassion.[/size]

[size=medium]Comfort:[/size]
[size=medium]I really like the way these fit my average sized head. I can even shake my head and they do not seem like they’re going anywhere. I could probably go running with these on and they would stay put. But, they are not too tight at all. I like the fact that the cans completely envelop my ears. All in all, it seems easy to forget I’m wearing them, so I’d give these a very good comfort rating.[/size]

[size=medium]Sound Quality:[/size]
[size=medium]This review is about the HD-650’s, but anytime you review audio components, you have to consider that everything in the sonic chain is responsible for the sound in one way or another. So, here are the components I am using as I try to convey what I am hearing:[/size]
[size=medium] [/size]
[size=medium]CD’s being played: Miles Davis: Kind of Blue;  Diana Krall: When I Look in Your Eyes[/size]

[size=medium]ALAC > iPod Touch 3rd Gen 64GB > LOD > TTVJ Slim > Sennheiser HD-650’s > My Ears[/size]

[size=medium]High End – Mellow, laid back, easy to listen to.  Compared to the bright signature of my Grado 325’s, these are so smooth. I cannot see them causing listening fatigue, even after hours of listening. At this moment, I am listening to Cannonball Adderley take a solo – alto sax, at the high end of the register. It is enjoyable, and I don’t find myself wanting the solo to end or lowering the volume because it is harsh or overly bright. Mellow is the word that keeps coming to mind.[/size]

[size=medium]Midrange – Ah, I love this. The midrange is just a little forward. I just switched the music to Diana Krall’s Let’s Face the Music and Dance. Her voice is silky, and gently dominates the recording, as it should.  Female jazz vocals can have such an engaging presence with the right phones, and in this case they do.  They sound very nice, full and rich through the entire midrange.[/size]

[size=medium]Bass – I’m not a bass head. I like to fully hear the bass, and maybe feel it just a LITTLE. In other genres, the bass is something you feel more than hear. In jazz, and with the stand-up acoustic bass in particular, you want to hear the bass, you want to be able to discern the lines the bass player is choosing, and not have it be just a muddy feeling that runs together and does nothing more than make your insides rumble. Jazz is about finesse, and choosing good musical lines, and this includes the bass. With the 650’s, I can hear everything clearly, and cleanly in the bass region. It is not overpowering or muddy in any way, and does jazz justice.[/size]

[size=medium]Overall Impression:[/size]
[size=medium]Just about everything and everyone has an “it” factor. It is not one particular thing, and you cannot easily put your finger on it, but it exists. Maybe it is the synergy of the individual sonic qualities, how they all work together. There is no single quality that stands out so much with the 650’s, as to overshadow the rest. For example - Grado’s are know to be bright. Not that that is bad, but my point is that the brightness associated with Grado’s IS a single uniquely identifying characteristic, acoustically.  Maybe the fact that all of the sonic qualities of the 650’s play so nicely together, yet no one quality overshadows any other quality is the reason I like them so much. These phones are smooth and engaging, and they take me deep into the music right away.  Not to be sexist here, but here is a good analogy. When a beautiful woman dresses right, with just the right choice of colors, and the right type and amount accessories, you tend to *not* see the clothes at all, but rather the woman. That’s how the Sennheiser HD-650’s strike me.  The individual characteristics are excellent, but when combined, produce a sound that is greater than the sum of the parts.  It seems like I’ve found my soul mate, er, I mean head mate.[/size]

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 21
Nice review. Glad youre liking them. I enjoyed mine.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 21

Quote:
When a beautiful woman dresses right, with just the right choice of colors, and the right type and amount accessories, you tend to *not* see the clothes at all, but rather the woman. That’s how the Sennheiser HD-650’s strike me. 

I like your analogy. Thank you for the nice review. 
wink_face.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 21, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 21
Nice review FlatNine. I agree, the HD650 is greater than the sum of its parts. It produces something unquantifiable that taps into the raw emotion of the music. It blankets and smothers you in it, and makes other listening experiences somewhat sterile in comparison.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 21
Thanks. The good news is that my quest for "complete" phones is over. That bad news is that we all know that is total BS because we're never satisfied, even when should be, and chances are in a year or so I'll probably be looking at something different.
gs1000.gif

Quote:
Nice review FlatNine. I agree, the HD650 is greater than the sum of its parts. It produces something unquantifiable that taps into the raw emotion of the music. It blankets and smothers you in it, and makes other listening experiences somewhat sterile in comparison.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 21

Enjoyed? Did you sell them?

Quote:
Nice review. Glad youre liking them. I enjoyed mine.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 21
Nice review, but I think my Senn PX100's must have spoiled me or something because I just got my HD 650's in the mail today and I am returning them. They just aren't THAT much better then these little rinky dink PX100's that I bought a long time ago...The HD 650's are $350 headphones that required me to buy a Fiio E9 just to properly power, and my PX100's are DAMN close to matching the sound quality of the 650's. I mean so close, that I got depressed on how much I had spent on the 650's+Amp. I sat at my computer for an hour or more listening to everything I had, all kinds of music, switching between the PX100 and the 650's, and its just sad how close they are. (Amazing if you just bought the PX100's though). The sound signatures are soooo similar.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #10 of 21
Nice review, but I think my Senn PX100's must have spoiled me or something because I just got my HD 650's in the mail today and I am returning them. They just aren't THAT much better then these little rinky dink PX100's that I bought a long time ago...The HD 650's are $350 headphones that required me to buy a Fiio E9 just to properly power, and my PX100's are DAMN close to matching the sound quality of the 650's. I mean so close, that I got depressed on how much I had spent on the 650's+Amp. I sat at my computer for an hour or more listening to everything I had, all kinds of music, switching between the PX100 and the 650's, and its just sad how close they are. (Amazing if you just bought the PX100's though). The sound signatures are soooo similar.

Not sure if srs... :/

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 21
I never tried the PX100's, and would hate to think that two hp's from the same company can be that similar. I'm not doubting you, I just don't want to think it's possible, being that I spent $350-ish on my new 650's.
blink.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 21
Yes, I needed money so I sold off my gear and am settling for a less expensive rig. I am enjoying the rig that's in my signature quite a bit though. The TMA's sound almost as amazing as the HD650's, they are quite the little cans.

Quote:
Enjoyed? Did you sell them?

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Not sure if srs... :/

I'm very serious. I really REALLY wish I was not, because then I wouldn't have to return these nice looking headphones and pay a 15% restock fee.

The HD650's were only slightly more detailed then the PX100's (I had to try hard to hear it) and they were able to give more impact in the midbass/bass region. But other then that, they sound practically the same. Definitely not hundreds of dollars+amp worth difference between the two. I also tried a pair of PX100-II's and they were very similar as well, but had a little more bass and less detail then the PX100 Gen 1's. But the Gen 1 PX100's are very close to the HD650's, too close for me to justify the cost of the 650's.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 21
I've never heard the PX100's but I feel the same way now with my TMA-1's. Sure, the HD650's are a better headphone than the TMA-1's, but they are not hundreds of dollars better. The reason I say hundreds is because the HD650's require decent amplification, while my $159 TMA-1's sound very similar and get crazy loud just with an iPod or iPhone.  

Quote:
I'm very serious. I really REALLY wish I was not, because then I wouldn't have to return these nice looking headphones and pay a 15% restock fee.

The HD650's were only slightly more detailed then the PX100's (I had to try hard to hear it) and they were able to give more impact in the midbass/bass region. But other then that, they sound practically the same. Definitely not hundreds of dollars+amp worth difference between the two. I also tried a pair of PX100-II's and they were very similar as well, but had a little more bass and less detail then the PX100 Gen 1's. But the Gen 1 PX100's are very close to the HD650's, too close for me to justify the cost of the 650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back