A Refined M-50?
Dec 29, 2010 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dirkpitt45

100+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty happy with my headphone inventory right now, ms1s, m-50s, and dba-02s, along with a millet starving student and fubar II. 

But after just finishing my millet starving student amp using it to finally hearing some music through the fubar II dac; I've been blown away by how good the m50s sound now. Very warm sounding compared to un-amped, and the bass seems to have a bit more impact. Though they aren't nearly as detailed as the DBA-02s, which haven't been getting as much use since finishing the amp. Comparatively the m-50s have boomy bass, but it fits with the overall musical sound signature I think so it's not too big of an issue. I haven't used the DBA-02s with the amp/dac yet (just with my zune hd) because its still having some burn in popping which is bad for IEMs apparently. The mids(voices at least) on the m50s are also a tad recessed compared to the DBA-02s, they aren't as intimate. 

Basically I'm looking for a warm headphone with controlled bass, more forward mids and more detailed than the m50s. I listen to everything pretty much, though trance is my current favourite. The HD 650s seem like an obvious choice, but they'd end up being ~$300 CAD or more off the FS forums probably; which is a bit more then I'd like to spend (at least till I'm done university XD). The Fostex T-50rp seems like another likely choice, though they seem rather hard to get now. 

Any other suggestions? Preferably I'd want a pretty noticeable upgrade from the m50s. I considered the D2000s or D1001s but I don't see myself as much a basshead anymore. The DBA-02s are great imo, something in headphone form and slightly warmer would be perfect. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 5
I think the D2000s are a nice step up from the M50s. I can't recall any one thing about the M50s that I liked more than the D2000s. They just have a more natural sound to them overall, and the bass doesn't seem to be as bloated. Also, there are plenty of mods out there that apparently make the D2000s even better (I have yet to try them out, though I plan to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back