A quick bit of Total Bithead love.
Aug 9, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #76 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
So because a few people had problems, it's suddenly a product to be avoided at all costs? Be reasonable here.

Who said that? Not me. All I said is that *I* don't want it. I also said that I think it's great if other people are happy with it.

Speaking of "being reasonable", what is the deal with BitHead owners? Some folks are acting like this is the dang war on terror: "either you're with us or against us". Let me repeat this is clearly as I possibly can: I think it's great if you like yours, and I think it's great if other people like theirs, and I have no interest in buying the thing because of the problems that several others have experienced with interference. I don't care what the brand is, for a device that is intended to improve sound quality to sometimes suffer audible interference from everyday sources is enough to take it off my list, especially for a travel device because when travelling I even less control over the environment. The BitHead was on my list, but it's not anymore. However, what you have on your list of favorite products is your business, not mine. What about this is so hard to understand?

Aug 9, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #77 of 99
Russdog: I think he's referring to you saying you had "unrecommended" the product to some people without having used it yourself. Maybe you just meant that you retracted the high praise for it that you gave them, but it did sound like you thought it was now a product to be avoided.

Aug 9, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #78 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammich
Russdog: I think he's referring to you saying you had "unrecommended" the product to some people without having used it yourself. Maybe you just meant that you retracted the high praise for it that you gave them, but it did sound like you thought it was now a product to be avoided.

Oh, well, that makes sense. In truth, I did "unrecommend" it, in the sense that I told the people who had asked me for advice that I had read reports from some people that it sometimes suffered interference from normal phenomena. I also told them that not everybody had encountered it, but that it was enough to make me nervous. Which is the simple truth.

If the device is improved to prevent this problem from happening, I will be quite happy to modify the advice I give to those people who ask me. In the meantime, I'm not gonna give people who ask me edited advice just to keep BitHead owners from being annoyed with me. The folks who are fussing at me here are people I don't even know, while the people who ask me for advice are people I know and love and care about. They want something that they can be confident in, without having to buy something first just to find out if they'll expereince interference issues or not. This idea that the return policy somehow negates the uncertainty doesn't hold water for people who want to be confident before they buy.

Aug 9, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #79 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
So I got my Bithead in yesterday. Let me repeat that. YESTERDAY! ZOMG! I ordered it Monday and got it in the NEXT DAY with FedEx Express Saver! I mean holy crap how did HeadRoom do that?! I know I'm just 2 states down from HeadRoom but that's just insane!

I unpacked the box like a raving madman I was so excited! Then I plugged it into my laptop with the K701, fired up some music...and then got disappointed. Not that the sound was bad, it was leaps and bounds better than the headphone jack. But the computer's volume sliders were all the way up, the Bithead's volume was maxed out, and it was only moderately loud out of the K701.
frown.gif
Does it not have the juice for the K701? Because I tried the 40-Ohm AD2K and 60-Ohm PMX 70 Sport too and those were much better.

If you go to Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices Properties -> and then...somewhere else, I can't remember where, there's something like a USB volume control that by default is only up half-way. Turn it up all the way.

It's different than the normal volume sliders (don't ask me why).

If you can't find it, try hooking up your bithead like a non-dac amp - connect the headphone port to the amp, then the amp to your headphones, and see if that ups the volume. If that provides enough volume, then it's a setting somewhere on your computer.

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #80 of 99
hm, so the total bithead is usb/battery powered... while the total airhead is powered by a power outlet/batteries?

hm, that sorta makes the decision a tough one.

btw, do they still honor the warranty if it's purchased used here?

and how is the SQ of the built-in soundcard compared to say something like the audigy pcmcia (notebook version)?

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #81 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
how is the SQ of the built-in soundcard compared to say something like the audigy pcmcia (notebook version)?

I found the '06 Total Bithead to be a very substantial upgrade over the Audigy 2ZS PCMCIA card; that was my first computer audio upgrade path. The only qualifier I would put on that is if you have a multichannel computer speaker system, in which case you would want the Audigy.
The good news in that scenario, however, is that you can do both. It's no trouble to switch back and forth between the Bithead and the Audigy.

Aug 10, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #83 of 99
Quote:

cool, too bad the total bithead doesnt let you power the amp from a power outlet too
blink.gif

Why should it. It can be powered just fine from the USB port on your computer when you're using it thusly. And it sound much better off the batteries than it would off a wall wart (no noise, hash, grunge, ect. to deal with). For me, the batteries last a lot longer than the 40 hours Headroom mentions.

Besides, you can't take your wall outlet for a walk.

Aug 10, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #85 of 99
Quote:

well, im guessing because you might not always have your computer at your side while using it, so in which case you'd have to use the battery power.

That's the idea. Battery power = better sonics when one isn't using their computer.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #87 of 99
Quote:

why not have the extra option though.. tha'ts like saying "why even power the thing through the usb ports, just use your battery and use the usb port for the soundcard"

But you can, and I have. It works. But I don't on a regular basis.

Look, you can only do so much for $199. If having the ability to power your amp from the wall is that important, buy the Total Airhead. If not, buy the Total Bithead. Ain't choice grand?

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #88 of 99
This thing would be perfect if it had a line out so I could use it between my laptop and hifi as well as for my cans. I am also a little nervous about the interference thing and would like to buy in it a store, trouble is, I'm in the UK!

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #89 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman
This thing would be perfect if it had a line out so I could use it between my laptop and hifi as well as for my cans. I am also a little nervous about the interference thing and would like to buy in it a store, trouble is, I'm in the UK!

It isn't sold in stores - only direct from Headroom. they do, however, have a superb money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. Just ask them when you order.

Aug 13, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #90 of 99
Ok I'm jumping on the Bithead bandwagon too now. This thing is awesome. I had no idea sound could be this good out of my laptop. Works great with the K701/DT880/HD600 on high gain. Everything else rocks with the low gain.

Now I'm tempted to build a computer-based setup....but my wallet is screaming for me not to...
evil_smiley.gif

Btw, I hear no effects of interference from the 802.11g signal my laptop receives from the router. In fact right now I'm using the Bithead sitting right on the laptop, right on the area where the hard drive is. No audible noise of any kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back