A quick bit of Total Bithead love.
Jul 5, 2006 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
A few months ago, I snagged one of the new Total Bitheads. I've used it every day since, and I must say... I can't imagine life without it now. At first I thought it was just "new equipment love" syndrome, but I've been using it for a while and that whole phase has probably passed.

It is, funny enough my first portable amp, but I did borrow an AE-1 and SR-71 before. I liked both of them and I'd give the overall edge to the SR-71 because it had a better punch and the highs weren't rolled off as they were on the AE-1. I didn't really like either enough to justify a purchase though.

I was lucky enough to get the Bithead on the cheap for doing some Head-Fi community service, and let me say... I'd buy one each month if I had to at full price. Using an iPod line out of my 5G iPod, I'm completely satisfied with it. I've even turned down attempts by certain individuals to mod it. The overal signature is really pretty smooth and unobtrusive; I don't get that "There's an amp coloring this" feeling that I did with the Hornet (which I did not care for). The highs are a little tipped, but in an incredibly pleasurable way. It isn't the fastest amp, but it certainly isn't slow. The difference is significant enough that I don't even listen to my SR60s directly out of the iPod anymore... my ears demand the separation and clarity that the Bithead has been providing.

This fall I'll be spending a lot more time in a computer lab at grad school, and I'm excited to give it a full test as a DAC. I haven't really come to any conclusions about it as a DAC yet... the tests I did with it at first seemed pleasurable, but I haven't listened long enough to form a real idea of what it does.

The only real bummer about it is the usage of AAA batteries. I'd love to use rechargables, but haven't heard anything good about them. One set of batteries seems to last me two weeks or so of normal usage, but I'd much prefer plugging it into a wall to charge. Oh well.

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
The only real bummer about it is the usage of AAA batteries. I'd love to use rechargables, but haven't heard anything good about them. One set of batteries seems to last me two weeks or so of normal usage, but I'd much prefer plugging it into a wall to charge. Oh well.

I could have sworn that I saw a power input jack on the airhead. I would assume the same would be possible for the bithead...

Are you using 1.2V AAA's or 1.5V AAA's? would there be a performance difference in using one over the other?

BTW, what mod is possible for this amp? is it something like a speed-up mod?

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 99
I have to add my thumbs up for the Bithead also. I've been using it with my K701's plugged into my iPod Nano, and this setup rocks the boat. It's dynamic, has good rhythm control, and very natural sounding. I don't care for amps that color the sound, and I always get the sense that the Bithead is giving me the straight goods.

I'm really glad that the hissing issue I had with my previous Airhead with IEM's is gone. I think the Bithead is more refined than the old '04 Airhead, there isn't any of the graininess I experienced before.

As far as the DAC is concerned, it wouldn't be fair to compare it to the DAC in my Headroom Micro, but it's pretty darn good! I think the bass lacks a bit of the low end snap and coherence that you hear with the Micro DAC, but it performs very closely in all other respects.

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
I could have sworn that I saw a power input jack on the airhead. I would assume the same would be possible for the bithead...

There is a USB input on the BitHead where the AC jack is on the AirHead (I've owned both 2004 models). I gather there is only so much that can be done on such a small chassis, and you certainly don't want to dump the USB port on the BitHead.

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 99
I've never used mine as just an amp, but the DAC part of mine broke, so this is good news for me if I decide to buy a DAC and continue using my bithead as an amp. I can say I was pretty happy with mine using it with USB. The crossfeed is what blows me away. Mine is one of the older ones. It works fine with rechargeables.

jamey, I will probably be stopping in the store later today. I was pretty surprised to find you were so close. You do have a B&M store, right?

Jul 5, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII
If you think you're in heaven now using the headphone out cable, wait until you try one of the offerings from www.audiolineout.com line-out cables. (I recommend the Bling Bling Silver cable myself.) Much, MUCH better sound. And they are not expensive either.

Actually, I am using one of his cables from the line out. That exact company. Silver tinned copper, it's a basic model. I'm not going to bother with anything better than that given the iPod's own limitations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
I'm glad you're liking it.

I'm really curious about the mods people are suggesting. What are they doing?

Haha, I think it's more just Lan being curious about its innards. I'm sure he could improve on it ( he did wonders for my Zhaolu... it sounded like garbage at first ), but this amp is starting to fall within the range of my PPA... there's magic in there just the way it is, and I don't want to mess with it lest the magic get scared and scamper away. Besides, I think the iPod innards are holding the sound back much more than the Bithead itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
There is a USB input on the BitHead where the AC jack is on the AirHead (I've owned both 2004 models). I gather there is only so much that can be done on such a small chassis, and you certainly don't want to dump the USB port on the BitHead.

Hehehe, yeah, it wouldn't be much of a Bithead without the USB! I don't think either model has the capacity to recharge batteries though. You'd need an external recharger if you were going to use them.

Oh, and may I just say that crossfeed freaking rules? Crossfeed + SR60 = some sort of nice little soundstage.

Jul 5, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #10 of 99
A question to the bithead experts here. Could one modify a USB powersupply to power the bithead from the wall?

Thinking something like a USB ipod charger plugged in the wall, and USB cable to the BitHead. No data being provided to the bithead obviously. This also would not increase the voltage available, but could power for the bithead be introduced in this fashion? This would allow perhaps a custom wallwart to up the voltage thru USB port into the bithead, and not actually have to mod the bithead at all. I am personally satisfied with the volume on my senns with the USB out of the laptop, and would not want to increase things, but this was talked about before by some folks.

I would want to ask this before attempting to actually plug my up.

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
A question to the bithead experts here. Could one modify a USB powersupply to power the bithead from the wall?

Thinking something like a USB ipod charger plugged in the wall, and USB cable to the BitHead. No data being provided to the bithead obviously. This also would not increase the voltage available, but could power for the bithead be introduced in this fashion? This would allow perhaps a custom wallwart to up the voltage thru USB port into the bithead, and not actually have to mod the bithead at all. I am personally satisfied with the volume on my senns with the USB out of the laptop, and would not want to increase things, but this was talked about before by some folks.

I would want to ask this before attempting to actually plug my up.

This has come up before, and I believe that the answer was a resounding NO. But, you might want to call Headroom and ask them. After all, they'd know best.

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Actually, I am using one of his cables from the line out. That exact company. Silver tinned copper, it's a basic model. I'm not going to bother with anything better than that given the iPod's own limitations.

Don't count on it. Having had both myself I can tell you that the Bling Bling makes a world of difference. Much clearer and cleaner sound. Some added brightness, but in a positive manner. I wouldn't trade mine for any of his other models. (At least, not until I hear the Exotic - and that'll be a while. I'm not ponying up the cost right now as I'm soooooo satisfiyed with the Bling Bling.)

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 99
Quote:

This has come up before, and I believe that the answer was a resounding NO. But, you might want to call Headroom and ask them. After all, they'd know best.

I asked HR directly and they said no. I mean, anything's possible, but not everything is practical.

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 99
Quote:

Don't count on it. Having had both myself I can tell you that the Bling Bling makes a world of difference. Much clearer and cleaner sound. Some added brightness, but in a positive manner. I wouldn't trade mine for any of his other models. (At least, not until I hear the Exotic - and that'll be a while. I'm not ponying up the cost right now as I'm soooooo satisfiyed with the Bling Bling.)

Evil! I'm happy with this cable... why must you tempt me with sweet sweet silver!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back