A quick bit of Total Bithead love.
Jul 31, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #46 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Christy
Makes a BIG difference on my 595's. Soundstage, bass, instrument separation. More definition and more impact.

I think there may be better amps but its a big enough difference to be well worth the money, PLUS its an upgraded sound card and a Headphone splitter too. Battery life is amazing.

I've had no interference problems at all on mine, it's always worked seamlessly.

Great little amp.

Awesome. Thanks a ton for the info.

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #47 of 99
but the total bithead serves as a sound card + an amplifier for your comptuer too though right?

that's what i meant to ask... if it's going to be a soundcard + amplify my music, this would be a great purchase for my needs.

Jul 31, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #48 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
crap, i was thinking about buying a total bithead too
blink.gif

can someone fill me in... if the total bithead is a USB2.0 powered soundcard, isn't your notebook the DAP? why would you need to have the ipod?

Your notebook has an internal DAC (digital to analog converter) as well as an internal amp, and most likely both are mediocre ones at that. All laptops do. What the Total Bithead does is that, when connected to the USB port, it overrides the notebook's soundcard and uses the one inside the Total Bithead. The Total Bithead's DAC is a better converter than the one in your notebook. The Total Bithead is both the converter and the amplifier here.

The IPOD is a DAP (Digital Audio Player). It too has a DAC and an amplifier inside it, all mp3 players do. However, in this case, since you are not connecting via a USB port, the Total Bithead only takes the form of an amplifier, and not a converter.

When the poster said that he experienced some interference with wireless while using his iPod, I assume he listens to music from his iPod while using the notebook. I don't think he connects the iPod AND the TotalBithead to the notebook to listen to music. At least, that's my guess. You don't need the iPod, but I tend to do that when I use my laptop too. I use my mp3 player instead of plugging into the notebook. If I had a Total Bithead, I would just plug that into the computer and listen to the mp3's on my laptop.

Quote:

but the total bithead serves as a sound card + an amplifier for your comptuer too though right?

that's what i meant to ask... if it's going to be a soundcard + amplify my music, this would be a great purchase for my needs.

Yes, the Total Bithead overrides your sound card and becomes both the DAC as well as the amp.

Jul 31, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #49 of 99
Quote:

crap, i was thinking about buying a total bithead too
blink.gif

can someone fill me in... if the total bithead is a USB2.0 powered soundcard, isn't your notebook the DAP? why would you need to have the ipod?

Yes, your notebook is the DAP and, no, you don't need an iPod.

I can think of only 3 reasons why you would prefer an iPod to a notebook:
1. You need something that fits in your pocket and is inconspicuous to use in public.
2. You need it to run on batteries for longer than your notebook can.
3. You think an iPod is cool.

If you have high-quality mp3's on your laptop, and if you have a Total Bithead and good headphones, it will all sound tremendously good. If you have a decent software mp3 player, you will have greater control over the sound (custom EQ, BBE, etc.) than you will have with an iPod.

Aug 1, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #50 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII
Glad they were able to help, and that you found a solution as well. Sounds like alls well with your headphone world. Congrats.

Well, maybe he thinks longer wires and keeping things far apart is a good solution, but I don't. The idea of "expecting" the Bithead to suffer audible interference from standard parts of laptops and iPods is just plain bad. It's crazy to accept that. Getting good sound from iPods and laptops is what Bitheads are supposed to *for*.

They need to fix this. Prior to learning that Headroom finds that acceptable, I had recently recommended the Total Bithead to 3 people. (I've not used it, but friends and family know that I try to keep up with this stuff, so they ask me.) Based on this news, I've just now un-recommended it.

What a shame. This is very disappointing news.

Aug 1, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #51 of 99
It's really not that bad. Okay, so I had to move my TBH away from my laptop, but that isn't a big deal. I also never put my iPod and TBH in the same pocket (I use a 6 foot long male-to-male connector to have the iPod in my right pocket and the Bithead in my left pocket. I bunch up the rest of the cord and put that into secondary mini-pocket that is built into the right main pocket.

The iPod only causes problems when I put the screen side directly against the Bithead. I suppose some would say this is unacceptable, but I don't really care, because I've found simple workarounds for all of the problems and everything is working fine otherwise.

Aug 7, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #53 of 99

Aug 7, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #54 of 99
Damn Head-Fi! I finally caved in to the pressure and ordered a sparkling new Bithead today! Do I need a Bithead? No! But my madly-clicking finger went ahead and did it anyway!

Ah well, at least it'll make my computer-based listening at work much better....

Aug 7, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #56 of 99
Quote:

so anyone know the difference between 2006 and 2005 versions? did a search, too many posts to look through.

The thread that described this seems to be gone.

In the vaguest possible way, the difference can be described as:
- improved crossfeed that does't alter the spectral balance
- gain switch to handle a wider range of headphones
- improved circuitry for better sound.

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #58 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
Well, maybe he thinks longer wires and keeping things far apart is a good solution, but I don't. The idea of "expecting" the Bithead to suffer audible interference from standard parts of laptops and iPods is just plain bad. It's crazy to accept that. Getting good sound from iPods and laptops is what Bitheads are supposed to *for*.

They need to fix this. Prior to learning that Headroom finds that acceptable, I had recently recommended the Total Bithead to 3 people. (I've not used it, but friends and family know that I try to keep up with this stuff, so they ask me.) Based on this news, I've just now un-recommended it.

What a shame. This is very disappointing news.

You move too fast on too little knowledge, given you've never used one yourself.

Put the Total Bithead back on your recommendation list. I have both versions, the older version, and the 2006 version. I've used both back to back with my iPod with no (repeat that - NONE!) noise issues. I've also used both with my Compac laptop - again, attached directly to yr cover wit no problems. While I'm glad that Headroom was able help Piccolonamek with his problem, that doesn't mean that everyone has encountered them. I'd wager that the vast majority haven't. The Total Bithead is a superb piece of kit, and does just what it was desighed for perfectly acceptabley.

Here's a thought, why don't you buy one for yourself, try it out, and let us know if you encounter any problems?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #60 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Do I need a Bithead? No! But my madly-clicking finger went ahead and did it anyway!

Silly Asr,

Anybody with a laptop (that travels) needs a Bithead!

I think it's a sin they sell laptops without them...

They're fun.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back