A question about EQ.
May 26, 2019 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chapekja

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi forum,

I am relatively new to the audiophile world and have some questions regarding an issue I've run into.

My current setup are the M1060s and Schiit Magni 3 amp/Modi Multibit 3 DAC fed by optic cable (S/PDIF). My Audio source is FLAC files and HQ spotify. I also have a FiiO Alpen portable DAC/AMP that i leave plugged in to a USB port as well. This creates 2 separate S/PDIF outputs under my sound settings.

Enough on the background, now to my question. I've heard that the M1060's respond well to some slight EQ work so, using PEACE, I had planned to EQ them to tame some areas and boost others. When plugged into my Alpen this works just fine and I am able to hear differences in EQ done through PEACE as well through the Alpen device itself (which allows you to increase bass/treble directly through its mini LCD interface), however when I use my schiit stack source the ability to EQ through windows (PEACE) is no longer possible.

Is there an explanation as to why I can't EQ via PEACE when using my Schiit stack and, more importantly, is there a fix that enables me to do so (or is my only option to get a Loki?).

Thanks for anyone in advance who takes the time to read this and answer!

May 26, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 5
You should be able to use equalizer APO with the Modi, you probably just have some settings configured incorrectly. Is the SPDIF output to the Modi configured as the default playback device in the windows sound settings?

May 26, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm almost 100% certain it is (away from my computer right this second) are there any other reasons why I wouldn't be able to use software EQ through the modi/magni? I was wondering if there was some sort of internal EQ that precluded software EQ from working.

May 26, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 5
It wouldn't work if you're using ASIO or WASAPI for sound output which bypass the windows sound mixer. There may also be a setting to disable sound enhancements in the sound options, which would make it not work. Otherwise no, not that I can think of. From my understanding, Equalizer APO applies the EQ processing as part of the windows sound mixer which happens before it is sent to the DAC or SPDIF output, the type of DAC you're using wouldn't affect it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back