A Portable Amp for K501 and HD580
Feb 21, 2009 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

KLS

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a K501 and a HD580 currently, and I am looking an amp for them.
It may sound greedy to get an amp to use with both of them, but I want a portable setup
bigsmile_face.gif
. I am staying in the university hostel (small room...) so I prefer a simple and portable setup. Any suggestions? Perhaps something not more than 500 US dollars.

Currently looking in Corda Move, P-51 Mustang, D10. DAC is not a main concern, what I am looking for is good synergy and sound quality
beyersmile.png

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a K501 and a HD580 currently, and I am looking an amp for them.
It may sound greedy to get an amp to use with both of them, but I want a portable setup
bigsmile_face.gif
. I am staying in the university hostel (small room...) so I prefer a simple and portable setup. Any suggestions? Perhaps something not more than 500 US dollars.

Currently looking in Corda Move, P-51 Mustang, D10. DAC is not a main concern, what I am looking for is good synergy and sound quality
beyersmile.png

then stay away from portable amps. K501 loves tons of current and HD580 loves tons of voltage - and portable amps can't provide either in large amounts. Grab a small-sized amp such as Gilmore Lite and both will see significant improvement over portable amps.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 19
Yeah, I have to question this chess move. With a budget of ~$500, you could spend it on IEMs/earbuds, and a decent portable amp (I'm assuming you have a portable source already). Much more suited to your mobile purposes.

Or go simple, like a Sansa Clip and a Yuin PK3.

I can only think of your original plan as a bit of a money-waster, because it's not the best choice to blow it all on a portable amp, when it will have such limited uses, and a decent "home" amp for around half the money can pretty much blow the poor portable amp out of the water in the first place.

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 19
How about that new Headroom Portable Desktop amp? It's a bit over budget though, but now there's an answer to taking full-sized cans when travelling.

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for advice. I am a total newbie in amps things, so forgive me for my stupid question
tongue.gif

Because I bought them cheap second hand (from a friend, around 100 US dollar), so I am thinking how can I make full use of them.

If that is the case I should consider a home amp.

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about that new Headroom Portable Desktop amp? It's a bit over budget though, but now there's an answer to taking full-sized cans when travelling.

Thanks for your recommendation, but it is overbudget...
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 19
Do you have a DAC already? If not, I'd suggest a DAC/AMP combo, such as Ray Samuel's Predator or something from Ibasso, maybe even the NuForce Icon Mobile. Check out the Reviews for Dac/AMP, there's a thread with a bunch of reviews.

IMO I've listened to K501s straight out of a Sansa Clip with positive results, though the volume isn't ideal (it hovers around medium). It's wonderful if your listening during a dead-silent night, so I imagine that though a portable amp setup isn't ideal, it should suffice in giving you enough volume for medium-loud listening

Again, you really don't seem limited by your budget, so for the best bang for the buck, I'd agree with everyone else and get yourself a nice desktop amp. Something to consider would be Purity Audio's K.I.C.A.S / Caliente discrete amp, which is relatively small (think external harddrive size)

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a DAC already? If not, I'd suggest a DAC/AMP combo, such as Ray Samuel's Predator or something from Ibasso, maybe even the NuForce Icon Mobile. Check out the Reviews for Dac/AMP, there's a thread with a bunch of reviews.

IMO I've listened to K501s straight out of a Sansa Clip with positive results, though the volume isn't ideal (it hovers around medium). It's wonderful if your listening during a dead-silent night, so I imagine that though a portable amp setup isn't ideal, it should suffice in giving you enough volume for medium-loud listening

Increasing volume isn't the goal of amplifiers, mate.
Also, volume doesn't equal sound quality either.

1) K501 and HD580 aren't portable. Not even close. Why bother getting a portable amp?
2) K501 and HD580 sound awful from minimal amping and K501, especially, is rather difficult to amp well.
3) K501 and HD580 absolutely deserve good amount of power and voltage, which portable amps can't provide.
4) amount of SQ upgrades that portable amps can give - is limited, and dedicated home amps have much, much better value. For example. OP could grab both Millet Hybrid and M^3 built under 500$, and either of those will be better than any portable amps.

Xan7hos, which "home" amps have you tried with K501s?

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 19
I realize that amps dont just equate to volume boost, but having an amp is necessary in order to increase volume (or least control it). And I never stated that volume = sound quality. Volume is subjective, people enjoy listening to whatever volume suits them. Please don't assume that because I share an opinion that is contrary to yours that I'm an idiot. As I stated in my prior quote, I did explain that a home amp would better fit the OP.

I was just explaining a situation where I found myself lying in bed with the K501s and the clip, and observed that the music was audible and enjoyable to me. Yes, it doesn't do the K501s justice, I'm just pointing out that you don't need an amp to hear music.

I've had my K501s paired with a Zero DAC/AMP and a Little Dot MkIV loaned by a friend, and they sound very lovely.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will be hard pressed to find adequate HOME amp to drive BOTH with authority . Should i even start on portables?

This. No battery powered amp can cut it with a K-501. The HD-580 is a little easier to drive but, still, you're not going to find a portable that does it justice. If you're going to be listening to them in a room somewhere, do yourself a favor and buy a desktop amp that you can easily transport in a suitcase.

A couple that are good are the Gilmore Lite and the Meier Corda Cantate. Both of them should power your headphones adequately and you can transport them easily.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for inputs!

As I have mentioned, my friend offered me the two of them with just 100 dollars, so I thought it was a bargain and I bought it...
tongue.gif

I never thought of how to amp them when I got them, and I am not familiar with amping things, so I post a new thread to seek for advice.

I draw to a conclusion myself: enjoy my MS-1 out of Cowon D2 first, when I have enough money then only get a good home amp. But I will keep and have fun with K501 and HD580 too, although it is stupid to drive them form a laptop or a D2
biggrin.gif

One more queastion: Will K501 and HD580 benefits even a little bit from a laptop via a DAC?

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A couple that are good are the Gilmore Lite and the Meier Corda Cantate. Both of them should power your headphones adequately and you can transport them easily.

Thanks for recommendation!

I looked into those and thought of getting one once I save enough money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back