A Portable Amp for K501 and HD580
Feb 25, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #16 of 19
[size=small]To the original poster:

As stated earlier, both the AKG K501 and the Sennheiser HD580 require quite a bit of power to drive them adequately, and no ordinary portable amp will do the job properly. You have to look to those portable amps that straddle the line between true portability and home usage. There are not many, but they do exist.

Among the super powered portable amps, you may find that the old Phil LaRocco Portable Reference II (PR II) will drive the K501 with gusto, although this amp may only be available used now (probably less than $450).

This is even more true with the current Lisa III, both standard ($600) and XP ($675) versions, available from TriadAudio.net, although at these lie a bit outside your stated price range. The Lisa is also supposed to come in a desktop version soon. This is the version I am holding out for.
wink.gif
The Lisa is a logical and miniaturized extension of the formerly popular three-channeled Phil's Portable Amplifier (or PPA).

Both of these amps have users that drive headphones that are as thirsty for power as yours. Some users even use HD580/600's. I don't recall anyone using the K501 with the PR II, but I myself planned too when I seriously considered the K501 earlier. I have no doubt whatsoever that the PR II and, without question, the Lisa III can handle your phones.
tongue.gif

Rednamalas1/Uncle Erik's suggestions are also excellent choices for home amps.
[/size]

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #18 of 19
I have the same question too.
I'm having a pair of hd580 and i'm intending to grab a meier 2move. Is it powerful enough for the 580? And after hearing about the sound signature of the k501, I'm thinking about having a pair too. But if the meier is no match for the k501, I think I have to stop there~
So, is the meier 2move enough for both (or might be a bit underpowered)? I know this sounds stupid since the 2move is a portable amp, but after hearing so much praise, I hope it is
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #19 of 19
These days I'm listening to the K400 brother(it has the same impedance and sensitivity) of the K501 straigth out of an Iriver H120, and I like this very much, I have never used a dedicated headphone amp, but I can only guess that, it will be an improvement to add a Ibasso D10 even though it's a portable, it will not give the same improvement as if I bougth something like a Zero or a Compass, but it will be a more versatile rig, that I can use anywhere in the house, and can put in the suitcase for travelling etc.
What I'm saying is, you need to know your requirements and your wallet, and then come up with the best compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back