A new pair of headphones
Dec 13, 2010 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

crismac

New Head-Fier
Hi guys all, I need help to choose a pair of headphones. I want an open headphones because i need a good soundstage and a high level of detail. I listen many genres of music ( Springsteen,dylan,genesis,Miles davis,Fleetwood mac). I can spend 150/200 euros and which headphones i can choose? 

-open
-really good soundstage
-details
I want to buy a pair of Grados125i but here in italy is very difficult to find. Thanks for answers and really sorry for my bad bad english :frowning2:

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 7
AKG K701, Sennheiser HD650 are good options. 701 is a little mild comparing to HD650, but more comfortable and easy to hearing. HD650 has strong bass. Pick the one u favor.

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 7
The Grados are a little lacking on the sound stage but I think the overall sound makes up for that. If you can find some I would highly suggest at least giving them a try. I don't have experience with the other suggestions but I don't doubt they are good options as well.

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 7
Try finding something here in the for sale forums. You can get one of the usual suspects for that money like the K701/DT880/HD6X0.

The HD650 will sound thick and bassy. Some people describe them as veiled as they are probably not the most detailed pair of phones. The HD600 is nice too but I personally find the DT880 and K701 better. The K701 in stock form has a treble glare (I damped it) but it matches the things you want from your headphones. They have the biggest soundstage of all and are extremely detailed. The DT880 is also treble-oriented but is not as hot as the K701. The DT880 is a stellar choice if you want only one pair of phones as they can do pretty much any music genre and they're super comfortable. I do think the modded K701 has the edge in terms of technical abilities though. Oh, and all of those headphones need a proper amp for them to truly shine.

If you are set on having a Grado however (they don't have much of a soundstage though) try finding one in the for sale forums too. They are much cheaper in the USA. Also consider the Alessandro MS-1 as it's based on the SR-125 drivers from what I have read. Grados do not necessarily need an amp to shine too. 

Dec 13, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 7
Wow thanks guys the beyerdynamic are really good but too expansive for me some people advise me to pick up a pair of Shure srh840 but i'm not really conviced because they 're closed headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back