A New Hybrid from Indeed Hi-Fi Labs: does this look fun?
Sep 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #346 of 355
I really like the 5814 tube type period. It was made for the military and is made to mil specs. It does have a higher filament current draw than a 12au7 or 6189. I have a Sylvania Gold Brand 5814 that is very nice and smooth with awesome detail. The GB is (was) a higher quality version with gold pins (typically). But the real winner in this tube for Sylvania are the the "black plate" versions. If you can find a balanced one of those for less than $20, you've done very well. RCA black plates are great, too. The best ones date back into the 1950s. I have several that are one year younger than I am... from 1956.

Look around... they are out there and they can be had cheaply. The 5814 and 6189 are both variants of the 12au7. You can't go too far wrong with either.

Quote:
Judge Buff,

Was it you that said the Sylvania 5814 was a good tube to try?  It's a 12 series, right?
Waiting for my G2 6n23p version as we speak...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #348 of 355
I thought it was time to show y'all what my G2 actually looks like:

The exposed wires are positive contacts for measuring bias voltage (nominally set around 13V for all tubes). I apologize for the pictures' lack of quality, especially on the bottom pcb shot. Oh, the led on the tube bottom isn't blue... it's UV. If you have questions, PM me.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #353 of 355
Quote:
Anybody can compare the g2 with the new g3?

I once asked Indeed about the differences?
It seems that unless you need the pre-out, they seem to recommend the G2.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #354 of 355
Quote:
I once asked Indeed about the differences?
It seems that unless you need the pre-out, they seem to recommend the G2.

No No no, the G3 has the IRF 510 mofsets, and those help with Treble Roll offs, the G2 might have those as well but... newer is usally made to fix problems with older stuff... still review on it's way for G3 

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #355 of 355
http://www.head-fi.org/t/642250/review-indeed-g3-modded-hybrid-tube-amp

My review of the amp, mine has slight mods to it but still... a new take on this amp for those who are still curious about how it sounds! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back