A new DA7.2x ?
Oct 4, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #256 of 412
yeah, well, after I made it bitperfect, I heard improvement.

Does anybody have an idea wherer to get volume controll for Foobar ?
Standard one (Plus/minus) does not work as I do direct stream.
But as I understood from other threads, there is plugin, that would do volume for DS as well (by simply moving 16bits up and down in 24bits frame)

I can imagine this would work, as now it plays prety loud in bitperfect mode.

thx

--G

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #257 of 412
I just received my new cable today, and find my system has more open sound than LC-1. The new cable also opens up the highs. The punctuation is softer, and less controlled. I also hear strange static on some of my CD. (and I conclude that the CD are just badly made, period.) If you happen to feel instead of hear the bass, try difference IC.

As always, pictures included:
http://pojen.zoto.com/img/45/e0d3584...feb91e938-.jpg

http://pojen.zoto.com/img/45/cd7a77c...816499f5e-.jpg
It seems that these cable has sit in the dust for a while. (IC, Coxial,Optical)

http://pojen.zoto.com/img/45/81e103d...f7d48aa87-.jpg
http://pojen.zoto.com/img/45/e4b3b98...439a9f5d8-.jpg
http://pojen.zoto.com/img/45/1ba37e3...880dd7087-.jpg

http://pojen.zoto.com/img/45/7a292dd...a7103bf8a-.jpg
New 806 with my favorite LC-1

That is my end of cable journey. I am waiting for TXCO and USB->Digital convetor to see if sound improves.

Update: After listen for a day, I prefer LC-1 since it give more weight to the music. 806 have better detail on the highs, but I like the balance LC-1 provides. I also received the TXCO and PC-Link from eddie today. First impression on PC-Link using the coxial is not very good. It doesn't have the "sweetness" that heard from AE with Opto. I don't know if I need a USB driver (for MAC??) update or something else.

Oct 6, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #258 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Give it 300 hours burn-in.

Whilst others report little change over burn-in, it seemed to me that sibilants on vocals didnt seem right until the 300 hour mark.

Why it needs so much burn-in I dont have a clue. If anyone can hazard a guess I would love to hear it.

Reiterating that this DAC improves dramatically with LOTS of burn in. So dont try and compensate for it by buying new analog connectors before the 300 hour mark. My early comment about it not being detailed in the treble has completely changed.

I have also been experimenting with ERS cloth and it seems to make the sound more relaxed when half a sheet is positioned over the rear half of the top of the case. Next time I open the case for the TCXO I might attach some to the case internally.

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #259 of 412
Hi everyone!

Just checking in. Well the bass is here now. Why? Well, it was my fault. You see, I have this acoustic treatment in the room that even though it was there in front of me, I had become so accustom to it, it was as though it wasn't there. One day just listening and wishing for more low end energy, I decided to remove whose huge foam corner tubes. wala!!! In fact a little too much bass. Well after adjusting this acoustic treatment I am relieved. I need to send Eddie an email He could not it out figure either. I even sent him a photo of my set-up. He did not notice them either.

Another thing, you can make a dramatic improvement in your sound by properly conditioning your AC. I already had a very good coil based unit but I did not mixing my analog with my digital. So I constructed this........

http://www.10audio.com/diy_power_conditioner.htm

I made mine a little differently. I didn't use a power strip. Rather I used a box that holds two, 2 plug receptacles (20 amp) and 10ga wire. I also used the same wire to make an ac cord. I did this by weaving the wire ala original kimber. This is the same ac cord used by my other power conditioner. The guy that made this unit called a Promethean Power Flo. Told me that if it is good enough to bring the power through the wall to the outlet, it is good enough to male a ac cord with. He also used the same wire to make the internal coil which is the heart of the unit. His theory was that the small ga wire used in other coil based as conditioners detrimentally affect the sound. His coil made with large gage wire is much better.

Any way if you decide to do this project, remember these things.

1) Make sure that your weave the wire for your ac cord. This is what will get rid of a lot of the ac line noise and rf.

2) If you decide to use 10ga wire, you will need to use a heavy duty soldering iron. A normal one would not be able to get that much metal hot enough.

This project is not a coil based unit so it will not limit the dynamic range in any way.

My digital gear still sounded better plugged through the Promethean but my analog amplification sounded far better through the new one. This is a big step. Overall the sound is more clear and dynamic. The sound stage is now both wider and deeper, the space between instruments and performers is more vast. This affected my system in such a way that it now even seems more powerful.

If you decide to try this be sure to be careful…..davi

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #260 of 412
Are the XLR passive or are they volume contrôled? And are they really balanced? Does it make it sound better?

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #261 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spare Tire
Are the XLR passive or are they volume contrôled? And are they really balanced? Does it make it sound better?

XLR not volume controlled. They are really balanced (easy to do in a DAC). Technically balanced is better but I dont know if the 7.2x implementation does sound better as I dont have balanced inputs to preamp.

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #262 of 412
Anyone modding or tweaking this DAC yet?

My gut feel is that a few tweaks here and there will make this DAC a giant killer. If anyone can suggest which components would make the most difference, Im happy to experiment.

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #263 of 412
Quote:

Anyone modding or tweaking this DAC yet?

My gut feel is that a few tweaks here and there will make this DAC a giant killer. If anyone can suggest which components would make the most difference, Im happy to experiment.

I just ordered the TCXO from Eddie Wu.I am willing to try also. Any suggestions?

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #264 of 412
Quote:

XLR not volume controlled. They are really balanced (easy to do in a DAC). Technically balanced is better but I dont know if the 7.2x implementation does sound better as I dont have balanced inputs to preamp.

If that be the case, it might be interesting to drive my electrostats with the balanced out, since electrostats are inherently balanced (i think??).

Oct 7, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #265 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spare Tire
If that be the case, it might be interesting to drive my electrostats with the balanced out, since electrostats are inherently balanced (i think??).

Electrostats are not inherently balanced. Also, you can't drive them through the balanced outs of a source. It's just a dynamic signal, and it's FAR too quiet to get any power out of the electrostats. They'll need anywhere from 230-600V of bias voltage to do anything, something which the analog outs of a DAC won't give them. Also, since they're not volume controlled, they'll be really quiet to begin with. If you want to drive your electrostats in balanced mode, you'll need a balanced electrostatic amp, just like you would with balanced dynamic headphones.

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #266 of 412
Well yes, i know i need a balanced amp, but about electrostats being balanced, i thought that because the stators push and pull at the membrane that it meant it was balanced. Maybe there's a big mixup in my head but then what is balanced?

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #267 of 412
Well the highs are getting stronger now. I am turning down my EQ to flat. The bass comes first then the highs.This dac takes a long time to break in.I am at about 150 hours.

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #269 of 412
So, now that people have started receiving their txco oscillator upgrade, anybody have imput on how it sounds like? Is it better now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back